Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

IronJimbo you have the best avatar. Soon James Cameron will bless us with a $4 billion movie.

Thank you MrGlass2, I look forward to updating my Avatar in December 2020.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Having just seen a film composer documentary at the Cleveland Film Festival, I feel pretty safe saying that is not the case. Composers still take pride in their work.

You can look at the temp score used in editing/screening process comparison vs the final product use in a list of recent blockbuster, and it can be extremely close (getting sued a lot type of close):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfQ_9DIItI&feature=youtu.be

Even the biggest name in the Industry, seem to often have has a task to do just do enough different from the temp score to not get sued, throw at the end of the project with very little time between the end of screening process and the release date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP793Rw1cIQ

They talk about the situation in that roundtable and how it is rare to not work from a temp and stay close to it now, it was pretty always the case from the beginning but apparently it is getting worst. There is exception for sure, Reznor on a Fincher movie, people working with Nolan, etc... but for your average blockbuster (even MadMax Fury road) a lot of it is a modified reused score from the past.

Edited by Barnack

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You can look at the temp score used in pre-prod/screening process comparison vs the final product use in a list of recent blockbuster, and it can extremely close (getting sued a lot type of close):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfQ_9DIItI&feature=youtu.be

Even the biggest name in the Industry, seem to often have has a task to do just enough different from the temp score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP793Rw1cIQ

They talk about the situation in that roundtable and how it is rare to not work from a temp and stay close to it now, it was pretty always the case from the beginning but apparently it is getting worst. There is exception for sure, Reznor on a Fincher movie, people working with Nolan, etc... but for your average blockbuster (even MadMax Fury road) a lot of it is a modified reused score from the past.

The industry has been using temp tracks for a long, long time. The problem isn't necessarily asking someone to compose something "like the temp track", it's that the scope and breadth of these temp tracks is getting more and more limited, so everything is starting to sound the same. Back in SW, Lucas was temping in all sorts of stuff, from Korngold and Steiner to classical music. Now folks tend to use other recent action/adventure/superhero tracks in their own action/adventure/superhero movies, so they're limiting themselves creatively.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tele Came Back said:

The industry has been using temp tracks for a long, long time. The problem isn't necessarily asking someone to compose something "like the temp track", it's that the scope and breadth of these temp tracks is getting more and more limited, so everything is starting to sound the same. Back in SW, Lucas was temping in all sorts of stuff, from Korngold and Steiner to classical music. Now folks tend to use other recent action/adventure/superhero tracks in their own action/adventure/superhero movies, so they're limiting themselves creatively.

Check PM please.

4 hours ago, AJG said:

$70M DOM

:huh:

Even if Avatar has Alice 2 kind of drop from AIW, it would still gross 170M DOM, not that a Alice 2 kind of drop is possible for Avatar 2, Cameron will make sure of it.

For the record, this concerns me a little because I think Fear the Walking Dead is dull AF.

‘Avatar’ Sequels Update: ‘Fear The Walking Dead’s Cliff Curtis Signs On For Lead Rol

http://deadline.com/2017/05/avatar-sequels-fear-the-walking-dead-cliff-curtis-cast-1202087331/

Edit: Decided to delete the quoted piece from the article because it reveals some info about his role in the movie. Don't know if that violates the spoiler policy for these boards or not, so if people want they can click on the link and check it out themselves.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 1

Just now, NoobSaibot said:

For the record, this concerns me a little because I think Fear the Walking Dead is dull AF.

‘Avatar’ Sequels Update: ‘Fear The Walking Dead’s Cliff Curtis Signs On For Lead Role

http://deadline.com/2017/05/avatar-sequels-fear-the-walking-dead-cliff-curtis-cast-1202087331/

Cliff Curtis is good. 

• Like 3

I love Avatar so much, i think it's a really great movie and underestimate.

Ok, the plot is generic, but it's brilliant executed.

The effects seems great until today, actually has better effects than a lot of recently films.

I'm happy the sequel finally get a release date, and despite the 11 years between them, i think it will be successful exactly like the 1st one... Cameron is a genius and he knows how create buzz and sell his movies.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

What's the estimated budget for this one? Did the studio give James Cameron a blank check for this one? I imagine that even with a 500m budget this film would still be massively successful. 

Shooting back to back will help control the budget.

I have no knowledge in these things but guessing that if he shoots 4 films back to back, he can do it with a "controlled" budget of ~1b, which would come down to just 250 per pic. 1.2b would be 300 per film...can they have spent much more than that excluding marketing? I don't think so but again, am clueless

I think a lot of costs will go in developing new tech, but that cost can be distributed in the long run as the tech is used by the studio repeatedly for different films.

Edited by a2knet

Apparently the first Avatar spent over 200 million USD in New Zealand alone (well the exchange rate is moving so much around 2009-2010 that it is hard to know, really depend when the money was spent):

http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news-world/nz-tax-credit-for-avatar-defended-20100124-mspq.html

The New Zealand government has defended the scheme which saw blockbuster film Avatar get nearly $NZ45 million ($A35.55 million) of taxpayer money.

The LBSPG offers a 15 per cent rebate on production expenditure over a certain value within New Zealand.

But Economic Development Minister Gerry Brownlee said on Sunday the grant delivered more than $NZ307 million ($A242.54 million) in expenditure to the New Zealand economy.

That fit with Fox advanced figure of 237 million very well (if the New Z tax credit let you put all expense like salary paid to non-citizen on their tax credit) otherwise the real budget was 230m + all the money spent outside New Zealand, above the line salary, etc....

I doubt they reduced the budget of the sequel.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Apparently the first Avatar spent over 200 million USD in New Zealand alone (well the exchange rate is moving so much around 2009-2010 that it is hard to know, really depend when the money was spent):

http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news-world/nz-tax-credit-for-avatar-defended-20100124-mspq.html

The New Zealand government has defended the scheme which saw blockbuster film Avatar get nearly $NZ45 million ($A35.55 million) of taxpayer money.

The LBSPG offers a 15 per cent rebate on production expenditure over a certain value within New Zealand.

But Economic Development Minister Gerry Brownlee said on Sunday the grant delivered more than $NZ307 million ($A242.54 million) in expenditure to the New Zealand economy.

That fit with Fox advanced figure of 237 million very well (if the New Z tax credit let you put all expense like salary paid to non-citizen on their tax credit) otherwise the real budget was 230m + all the money spent outside New Zealand, above the line salary, etc....

I doubt they reduced the budget of the sequel.

Seems like a pretty similar process to what went down with The Hobbit trilogy. I have no idea if it's worth the huge tax rebates they give them, but these kinds of movies have made NZ actually have a relevant film industry, especially considering our size.

The New Zealand-born actor will play Tonowari, who is the leader of the Metkayina, the reef people clan (Cameron has said in interviews that the Avatar world in future installments will take place underwater).

HYPE. The castings are finally coming in, all we need now is Arnold as a big bad. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

‘Avatar’ Sequels Update: ‘Fear The Walking Dead’s Cliff Curtis Signs On For Lead Rol

Edit: Decided to delete the quoted piece from the article because it reveals some info about his role in the movie. Don't know if that violates the spoiler policy for these boards or not, so if people want they can click on the link and check it out themselves.

" Deadline has confirmed that Fear the Walking Dead‘s Cliff Curtis is boarding all four of James Cameron’s upcoming Avatar sequels in a lead role. The New Zealand-born actor will play Tonowari, who is the leader of the Metkayina, the reef people clan "

I haven't watched this actor before so can't comment, but it sounds like he is playing a Na'Vi anyway.

5 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

HYPE. The castings are finally coming in, all we need now is Arnold as a big bad. 

General Arnold of the Earth Federation Defence Force brings his fleet to Pandora.