CloneWars

Jem and the Holograms | 10/23/2015

57 minutes ago, Murgatroyd said:

What happened this weekend? A bad Friday, a Saturday drop… and then Sunday made about as much as Friday and Saturday combined, putting it well above estimates. WHY?

I found the increase surprising too, from $290,000 estimated to $387,925 actual.  It might be because those estimates are so low that it does not take much to move them a big percentage.  Halloween was Saturday, but Sunday at this time of year is all about the NFL, and with only two late afternoon games yesterday, maybe a few families decided to go to the Jem movie?  Still, even if it was only a few of them, it could have enough to increase the Sunday number for Jem.

Just now, Murgatroyd said:

What happened this weekend? A bad Friday, a Saturday drop… and then Sunday made about as much as Friday and Saturday combined, putting it well above estimates. WHY?

Yeah blame Halloween and NFL weekend.  Don't worry.  Jem will be able to take on Bond this weekend.

1 minute ago, Klingo said:

Yeah blame Halloween and NFL weekend.  Don't worry.  Jem will be able to take on Bond this weekend.

It may sound quite nerdy, but seeing how these results vary from estimate to actual because they are statistically so low I find as interesting as the other extreme: The Jurassic World $208.8 million opening weekends of the world.

On October 31, 2015 at 9:31:21 AM, Cochofles said:

My only question is...was the TV show's original audience/fandom large enough to begin with? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jem was never a huge smash or a cultural phenomenon. I don't think it even reached cult status.

Oh, it has a cult following...the problem is the cult is very, very small.

No surprises from Jem and the Holograms this time, as Box Office Mojo says it dropped 81% from Sunday to Monday with $36,255.  Its per theater average for Monday was $15.  Today should be the "last hurrah" for Jem, its second cheap Tuesday.  After today, Wednesday and Thursday average per theater numbers might fall to less than $10.

Edited by Outrageous!

Practically speaking, we're almost at the end of Jem's run.  There may be a few more dollars in the next few weeks, but after today, it is going to be hard to find Jem playing in theaters.  Box Office Mojo daily stats show that Jem made $60,425 on Tuesday with a $25 per theater average.  The day after cheap Tuesday was awful, as Jem only made $24,155 Wednesday with a $10 per theater average.  For its final day before the gigantic theater drop, I will not be shocked to see a per theater average dollar number in the single digits.

It somehow increased yesterday. But that Wednesday was the single worst daily number and the single worst daily average for a movie playing in over 2,000 theaters. $9.99 per theater. Based on the current national average price, that would be a average of 1.2 tickets per location...for an entire day. (Admittedly, it's probably down to one showtime per day in some places...)

I would not be surprised to find out that a good number of locations sold no tickets to the movie for the entire day. (DAJK, have you had any days where nobody bought tickets to Jem?)

This caps off the worst weekend/week (in gross, tickets, and per-theater averages of both) for a movie in over 2,000 theaters.

Edited by TServo2049

44 minutes ago, grim22 said:

CJohn had so many hopes. Maybe Uni just stopped tracking it while leaving it in theaters.

There might be something to that idea that Universal stopped tracking it.  Consider these statistics from looking at the box office data from two other super flops this year: We Are Your Friends and Mortdecai:

We are Your Friends
After Day 14: $3,527,942
Final Tally, After Day 28: $3,591,417
WAYF's gross after Day 14 was 98.23% of the final total, and earned an extra $63,475 in the additional two weeks.

Mortdecai
After Day 14: $7,467,160
Final Tally, After Day 28: $7,696,134
Mortdecai's gross after Day 14 was 97.02% of the final total, and earned an extra $228,974 in the additional two weeks.

Jem and the Holograms
After Day 14: $2,184,640
I will assume Jem's gross after Day 14 would be 97% of the final total.
Estimated Final Tally, After Day 28: $2,252,206, and would earn $67,566 over the next two weeks.

Would Universal consider daily tracking worth it for less than an additional $70,000 in ticket sales?

More like theaters wanted to give rid of a movie making $10 per theater average (on 13th day) ASAP!
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=jemandtheholograms.htm

Theaters wanted to dump Jem even faster than Universal had their first thoughts about ending the movie's run early.