pepsa

1 Billion movies 2014 (What will be 2014's Frozen?)

1 Billion movies 2014  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How many 1 Billion movies will there be in 2014?

• Zero!!!
    • One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five
    • More than five (Yolo)

Transformers & Hobbit will be the only billion dollar grossers imo.

I don't understand the interstellar mentions. The only non-3D films to make it to 1 billion in recent years are Skyfall & TDKR, and those were part of huge franchises. Inception had a much more recognizable cast and still couldn't break 900 mil.

Truth be told, a strange movie like Inception earning more than $300M WW will be considered an amazing feat. How it ended up with $800M WW is still an unexplained phenomenon. My guess is WB considers Nolan as the golden goose so they let him do whatever he wants as long as he comes back for TDKR. 

The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies and Transformers: Age of Extinction, but both will probably barely make it to the milestone ($1.0-1.05 billion).

The Desolation of Smaug did over $958 million, so another $42 million added from being the final film shouldn't be that difficult, but its doubtful to see such a large increase overseas that $1 billion is locked.  And Shrek 4/Pirates 4 saw increases overseas (especially Pirates), so even if Transformers 4 losses $50-100 million at the domestic box-office, the overseas bump should balance it out.

Transformers and Hobbit are fated to get past 1b, but maybe some other super hit will appear out of nowhere. GotG, perhaps?

Sorry GotG has no chance if Captain America can only just do $700 mil ww how on earth is GotG going to do a billion would be a massive breakout if it matched Captain America! So chances are very slim.

I'm making a wild card bet here: Lucy (2014).

Scarlett Johansson is so badass and recently films with female heroines are now proven to be able to make money (e.g. Frozen and Maleficent)

Edited by phantom
  • Like 1

I'm making a wild card bet here: Lucy (2014).

Scarlett Johansson is so badass and recently films with female heroines are now proven to be able to make money (e.g. Frozen and Maleficent)

I see you are new here, so welcome.

Based on your prediction I will assume that you are new to tracking the box office, so welcome to the club.

But there is no chance Lucy makes a billion.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 2

I see you are new here, so welcome.

Based on your prediction I will assume that you are new to tracking the box office, so welcome to the club.

But there is no chance Lucy makes a billion.

I know what you meant. But, since the forum meant something like Frozen which I presumed, a movie that will hit $1 billion that is unexpected (sleeper hit) so I'm making a very wild prediction. Also, who knows right?

I'm making a wild card bet here: Lucy (2014). Scarlett Johansson is so badass and recently films with female heroines are now proven to be able to make money (e.g. Frozen and Maleficent)

I would love for Lucy to truly breakout, but a Billion is out of reach.
  • Like 2

Not likely. It would require an overseas performance close to IM3 to get there.

I'm thinking that GotG final numbers will be like Capt. America 2 but the hype of GotG is overwhelming. If it continue up to the coming weeks then the chance of $1B will be higher.

I'm waiting for the China's response to the movie if it will earn around $200 million or more.

I'm thinking that GotG final numbers will be like Capt. America 2 but the hype of GotG is overwhelming. If it continue up to the coming weeks then the chance of $1B will be higher.

I'm waiting for the China's response to the movie if it will earn around $200 million or more.

In China? :blink::rofl: Also, 1B? LOL. This is no Iron-Man or TF. I really doubt it'll even beat DOFP WW, let alone TF or TH: TBOTFA.

• Like 2