Plain Old Tele

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | Guy Ritchie | May 12, 2017 | Charlie Hunnam

Just chiming in to say that Charlie Hunnam has more charisma in his pinky finger than Ryan Reynolds/Taylor Kitsch/Tarzan/a million other of these white guy actors will have in their lifetime. Glad Lost City of Z is getting good notices, cuz he's actually way more talented than all his non-Sons stuff would indicate. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Just chiming in to say that Charlie Hunnam has more charisma in his pinky finger than Ryan Reynolds/Taylor Kitsch/Tarzan/a million other of these white guy actors will have in their lifetime. Glad Lost City of Z is getting good notices, cuz he's actually way more talented than all his non-Sons stuff would indicate. 

Has science proven such a thing between Charlie and Ryan? Or are you such a staunch Ryan hater that you would say such a thing?

Why don't we put those two in a room and see what happens?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Which would be a waste, tbh. He's definitely the weak link in the amazing Big Little Lies ensemble.

Not that I disagree that he had an ok performance among an extremely strong cast around him, but he was a perfect casting choice (the show in general was)

Skarsgard was a one note performer in a cast of pretty excellent layered performances. Luckily, that one note was exactly what the role called for, so he pulled it. Scott was a more impressive performance if they're nominating a male from that show.

I just love tweaking Ryan Reynolds. Dude has a rabid fanbase on here and I just don't get it. He's totally fine. He's the same as every early 2000s rom com actor to me - charming quippy guy with a heart of gold. I don't know if I have ever watched a Ryan Reynolds performance and said "Wow, this is a performance unique to this actor that no one else could pull off. I'm glad I saw this performance." He's a replacement level charismatic lead. Deadpool works because of that, since it lampoons that and his typical image. It doesn't work for me when he plays that straight.

Edited by Cmasterclay

14 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Hopefully this will do well because it looks like the closest thing to a fantasy movie this year...

Where is the next LOTR?

There are *plenty* of fantasy films this year. They're just all franchise films or based on properties. And so is this.

And you want to know where the next LOTR is? Ask the Golden Compass.

Edited by Jay Beezy

27 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't know if I have ever watched a Ryan Reynolds performance and said "Wow, this is a performance unique to this actor that no one else could pull off.

That's a lot to ask from any actor really. For what it's worth I thought he was quietly impressive in Adventureland and effectively sold everything he needed to sell in Buried. If he hooked up with an actor's director on the level of James Gray on the right dramatic role, I wouldn't be surprised if he drew praise for that too.

• Like 2

Probably meant medieval fantasy type, because yes almost all big movies are fantasy now, almost none are set in the real world, to the monster universe reboot,all Star Wars/Superheroes/Transformer/Pirates/King Kong/Beauty and the beast etc..

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

That's a lot to ask from any actor really. For what it's worth I thought he was quietly impressive in Adventureland and effectively sold everything he needed to sell in Buried. If he hooked up with an actor's director on the level of James Gray on the right dramatic role, I wouldn't be surprised if he drew praise for that too.

Yea, definitely true on your first point - I guess what I mean is that they bring SOMETHING to the role beyond what is the most predictable/bland performance possible. I've just never seen it from Reynolds. He plays the exact same character with the exact same range in everything. Granted, I haven't seen the two movies you listed, so that might be why. But the whole quippy handsome guy thing is done to death, and done better. 

• Like 1

I've never been able to watch Pacific Rim a second time because I can't make it through Hunnam's opening monologue. I'm sure he's been good in other things I'll probably actively avoid, but he's been dire in all I've seen him in. His acting intelligent in Crimson Peak was very funny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Hopefully this will do well because it looks like the closest thing to a fantasy movie this year...

Where is the next LOTR?

I am so looking forward to MORTAL ENGINES.

Edited by kayumanggi

4 hours ago, elcaballero said:

Hunnam's performance is easily the worst thing about Pacific Rim.

Captain of the ship and all.

Sorry, Guillermo gave him nothing of interest to do when robots and monsters weren't battling.  On one hand that's not really Charlie's fault. On the other...he did nothing with it.  Hmm.

• Like 1