baumer

The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014)

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This is clearly a Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman screenplay. The "jump right into action" thing is there, since the first time we see Peter Parker he is pursuing Rhino (still without the suit here). The scene before the movie starts with Peter's parents (the fall of the plane), the blood thing, the ending at a big moment/cliffhanger. It is clearly a movie from them. If you don't like their style of writing, you will dislike this movie. It is almost guaranteed. 

Andrew Garfield is very funny and he has an incredible chemistry with Emma Stone. Their chesmistry is the best thing of the movie. And it makes her death harder to watch. The death scene is weird in itself. She doesn't hit the floor completely but hits it strong enough to die but not turn into blood. The crowd was in shock so I think Sony will be happy. That was clearly the reaction they were looking for. GA doesn't know she dies. I think it may become one of the most talked moments of Summer blockbusters between GA this year. The whole crowd was in complete disbelief of what had just seen. 

Dane DeHaan is the 2nd best thing of this movie. With so little time to develop his character, he does a terrific job with what his given to him. My friends loved him, I loved him. He is fantastic. Chris Cooper barely has any screen time and I am shocked they actually hired him for that. I liked the Green Goblin transformation and I prefer this to the Power Ranger from SM1 (not taking anything from Dafoe, he was awesome in that movie). 

Electro character is where I saw the most problems. His ark is rushed. They need to move forward quickly because there is tons of stuff happening at every second. The first scene with him at his home is just weird in every way possible. He talks to himself and pretends he is talking to Spider-Man, playing both characters. It is his birthday so he has a cake. Shit is just weird. After he transforms (the eels bite him and there is an electric problem in that area, transforming him into pure electricity), he goes to Times Square. And there he turns evil because why not? Spider promises that nobody will shoot him but a dude fires a sniper and he goes full mad, saying Spider-Man betrayed him and all that. After that Spider-Man defeats him with water (he has a fireman hat in this scene).

He goes to the mental institution and an horrendous interpretation of Dr Kafka (it was hilarious bad) is there to see what he is capable of. Meanwhile Harry goes mad because Peter doesn't give him his special blood, that will cure him. I really don't understand why Peter doesn't give him his blood, specially because they are such great friends and Harry will die anyway. Harry is fired and then he turns to Electro. Electro literally turns into electricity and goes throw the cables of energy and attacks Oscorp. There Harry finds out there is blood of the spiders left, he injects it into him and transforms. 

Meanwhile Electro regains power of his Electricty Station that he created but Oscorp stole from him. The final battle is there. Lots of enemies are teased for Sinister Six. Symbiotic does not appear. I know there is a video circulating that shows it at the left side of Vulture wings, but in the movie in that position we have Rhino's suit.

Speaking of Rhino, Paul Giamitti knows he is doing a superhero movie and he is enjoying every minute. He is hilariously awesome in every level. He goes to campy level and he loves it. Felicity Jones will be an awesome Black Cat. She is very beautiful and I can't wait to see her in the suit. The movie is a fun blockbuster in every level. It has incredible action set pieces and very nice moments between characters. If it wasn't for Electro's character (I don't blame Jamie Foxx, he does what he can with what is given to him) and the bad CGI in the Spider-Man/Electro battle at the end, it could have been one of the bets superhero movies of the last few years.

15/20

Edited by CJohn

What you just described doesn't justify 150 minutes unless action sequences are like minutes of the entire runtime

It is 142 minutes, and it you take out 7 from the end credits, it is 135 minutes. The movie feels extremely exhaustive because there is always something happening. They give no time to the audience to breathe.

• Like 1

So let  me get this right:

- Norman Osborn, the supposed Oscorp mastermind of all this evil stuff, is just a footnote in the movie

- Harry tells Peter he is dying and genetics allow him to live with a Spidey-blood transfusion

- Peter doesn't help in any way because plot reasons

- Harry figures out Peter is Spider-Man and gets understandably upset (how much blood does he need? I doubt he wants to drain his friend of blood to die)

- Harry decides to take his anger out on Gwen to spite Peter (is this before or after his attempt to use Electro against Peter fails?)

So what happens post-Gwen fall? Does Peter beat the crap out of Harry? Does Harry get away?

• Like 8

So let  me get this right:

- Norman Osborn, the supposed Oscorp mastermind of all this evil stuff, is just a footnote in the movie

- Harry tells Peter he is dying and genetics allow him to live with a Spidey-blood transfusion

- Peter doesn't help in any way because plot reasons

- Harry figures out Peter is Spider-Man and gets understandably upset (how much blood does he need? I doubt he wants to drain his friend of blood to die)

- Harry decides to take his anger out on Gwen to spite Peter (is this before or after his attempt to use Electro against Peter fails?)

So what happens post-Gwen fall? Does Peter beat the crap out of Harry? Does Harry get away?

All your points were right. Him not giving his blood was just plain stupid.

It is after his attempt at using Electro fails.

Harry goes to a mental institution. There is never a confrontation between Harry and Peter after that. After that we have a funeral, Peter stops being Spider-Man for 5 months. After that he returns to fight Rhino (that is sent by Harry, who is creating a small team of villains).

Edited by CJohn

All your points were right. Him not giving his blood was just plain stupid.

It is after his attempt at using Electro fails.

Harry goes to a mental institution. There is never a confrontation between Harry and Peter after that. After that we have a funeral, Peter stops being Spider-Man for 5 months. After that he returns to fight Rhino (that is sent by Harry, who is creating a small team of villains).

So Harry is the master mind behind all of the villains? So is Harry's dad Norman Osborn completely useless in this series? So in the movie does feel like Harry and Peter are friends or does there relationship feel rushed. 

Seems like a complete waste of Norman Osborn.

Of course I assume they felt pigeonholed into rushing murder villain Harry to avoid being called a retread of the Peter/Harry dynamic in the Raimi films

They could went with the Hobgoblin. Create a new story for Roderick Kingsley. 

• Like 1