baumer

The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014)

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Just got back from my screening and, honestly, I enjoyed a lot lot more than I was expecting to. Heck, it might even be my favourite Spiderman movie so far. (Note: I am naturally biased against the Raimi films though because I can't stand Tobey Macguire, so I'm probably going to be alone on that one.)

I wasn't a big fan of the first TASM movie, partly because it was another retelling of probably one of the most well known origin stories of all time, partly because the directing/writing wasn't particularly interesting and partly because I saw it right after TDKR which, quite frankly, was exhilarating (although it's soured a bit in my memory, over time). This film, on the other hand, feels free to absolutely cut loose and explore new villains and really differentiates itself from the Raimi films as well. 

As CJohn already mentioned, Garfield and Stone have brilliant chemistry together and Dehaan is fan-fucking-tastic (seriously, he nearly impressed me as much as Redford did in CA:TWS). Electro was pretty interesting in the first half, but when he gets freed from Ravencroft, he mostly just becomes muscle for Spidey to fight. But, to be fair, the fights between the two were absolutely great, as was most of the action in this movie. Spidey vs Gobby in the clock tower was great, even though I knew the outcome and that Gwen would die (speaking of, I heard an odd sound from someone in my audience that I genuinely couldn't tell whether it was crying or laughing). Oh, and Giamatti owned every single scene he was. Owned it.

One of the things I really liked about this film though, is just how much time it takes to show Spidey helping civilians, both during major battles and just everyday goings-on. Maybe it's because so many superhero films nowaday either involve superhero who don't have the power/means to help people (like the recent Cap movie) or do have said power, but just don't give a crap (I don't even need to say which movie I'm talking about, do I?), but it was really nice and really helped establish Spidey as a genuine hero.

Also, since a lot of people are already discussing it, I suppose I should talk about the whole blood thign because it's not quite as cut and dry as CJohn is implying. Peter's perfectly willing to give Harry his blood but, since it's the same technology as Curt Connors/Lizard was using, he's afraid that his blood, if it doesn't kill Harry outright, may cause him to mutate in the same sort of way (which he ends up being (somewhat) correct about). And Harry seems much too impatient to let it go through proper testing before injecting himself. It's made obvious that Peter's put a lot of thought into it, instead of just blowing Harry off, even taking time out to visit him as Spiderman just to tell him this (since technically it's Spidey's blood Harry needs and he doesn't know Peter and Spidey are one and the same (until the end)) and it's kind of implied that Peter is planning on doing tests of his own to try and make it safer for Harry. At least, that's what I got. Maybe you'll all disagree, maybe he just comes off as more sympathetic to me since, from CJohn's review I thought he'd be a total dick about it as well, so I went in expecting that.

There weren't many massive problems I had (aside from Electro not being as interesting in the second half), but the biggest I can think of was Peter's ghost visions of Gwen's dad. Maybe it's just the expression he had on his face, but they always seemed really goofy to me. Also, while I'd be really really surprised if he's actually dead, Chris Cooper could've been used more.

But anyway, to sum up, this was a genuinely pleasant surprise for me. I went in with little-to-no expectations and came out with a movie that, to me, was nearly on the same level of CA:TWS. So yeah. Really happy with that. A

• Like 4

Loads of fun. definitely far superior to it's predecessor imo. doesn't feel like it's in the shadow of the raimi movies like that one did. BIG improvement on the villains too. it's got that problem of feeling like it's trying to tackle way too much and it's messy because of it, but i'm really surprised how much i enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Awful Awful AwfulI can't how shity it was and it made me like the first one even better. It was slow and dragging and the important characters weren't studied better and they seemed like they were just passing by. Harry out of nowhere becomes villain and finds weapon to use and dies wierd death and it was quick as the death electro and weak characters everywhere. There was nothing of meaning happening at all it was about Spider-man showing off all the time and making not so funny jokes. My crowd were silent a lot and weren't wowed or made them laugh at the supposed funny moments. Everything was hurried and it was a messy storyline. F*ck this. To top all this I just fucking lost my house key and been looking for it since it ended 2 hours and 30 minutes ago. I am lucky I know people here or damn I would have really bad night.

• Like 8

Loads of fun. definitely far superior to it's predecessor imo. doesn't feel like it's in the shadow of the raimi movies like that one did. BIG improvement on the villains too. it's got that problem of feeling like it's trying to tackle way too much and it's messy because of it, but i'm really surprised how much i enjoyed it.

Winter soldier is still far superior right Coolio?

It's a mediocre film. Too much stuffs happened in it. Harry Osborn's transformation is very rushed, Harry is not really needed. Electro is okay, but he was really boring before the transformation. But there are some good things: the actions, actings (especially DeHaan) and of course the easter eggs. Btw, I hate the Spider-Kid and Rhino scene.

Awful Awful AwfulI can't how shity it was and it made me like the first one even better. It was slow and dragging and the important characters weren't studied better and they seemed like they were just passing by. Harry out of nowhere becomes villain and finds weapon to use and dies wierd death and it was quick as the death electro and weak characters everywhere. There was nothing of meaning happening at all it was about Spider-man showing off all the time and making not so funny jokes. My crowd were silent a lot and weren't wowed or made them laugh at the supposed funny moments. Everything was hurried and it was a messy storyline.F*ck this. To top all this I just fucking lost my house key and been looking for it since it ended 2 hours and 30 minutes ago. I am lucky I know people here or damn I would have really bad night.

Wait, what? Firstly, Harry becoming a villain is built up pretty well throughout the movie and the reasons he turns are a) obvious and b ) pretty damn understandable. The 'weapon' he gets is foreshadowed pretty well and him receiving it makes sense in the context of the movie. Secondly, he doesn't die. How did you even miss that? It's not even like the scene of him surviving is a post credit scene, or it's left ambiguous, we see him outright alive in his cell and talking to someone.

Oh, and 'nothing of meaning happening'? I don't suppose you missed Gwen Stacy's death? I'd call that 'something of meaning'. Part of me's wondering whether you even watched the film....

Edited by Za Rukaio!
  • Like 2

The films has some great moment, followed by some shitty moments, followed by some more great moments then shit moments etc. Electro was a terrible villain and died way too quick. His motivations were laughable as well, he loves Spiderman but because he forgets his name that's his motivation to hate him lol. The Goblin is defeated extremely quickly as well and Rhino was a tease for the next installment. Literally the end was just as much of a kick in the balls as The Grey, though I couldn't completely hate the last 5 minutes because it had a lot of heart.The best parts of the movie were when he was out if the suit, it's seemed like an interesting love story which happened to be wrapped in a low rate superhero dressing. Gwens death however was very well done and the performances from everyone (surprisingly with the exception of Paul Giamatti and Jamie Fox, ironically the 2 oscar winners) were great but overall it has nothing on Cap 2. Andrew Garfield is a great Spiderman.B

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2

So let me get this right:- Norman Osborn, the supposed Oscorp mastermind of all this evil stuff, is just a footnote in the movieHe just lies on a bed, tells Harry he sent him to boarding school at 11 to toughen him up, passes Harry a storage device with all of Oscorp's secrets and the he dies. He is seen in a couple of exposition videos. - Harry tells Peter he is dying and genetics allow him to live with a Spidey-blood transfusionHarry finds out about their father's hybrid spider/human research and deduces that whoever Spider-Man is he was bitten by one of the spiders. What he doesn't know and Peter does know is that the reason Peter survived is that he was compatible with the venom because his father used his own DNA. So when Harry asks for the blood Peter knows it won't work at this time. There's no explanation for Harry rushing to find a cure. Norman says he had the same symptoms as Harry at Harry's age and he lived another 40+ years. It seems Peter doesn't want to give Harry the blood because he knows what will happen to him but the movie gives the impression he would like to if he new more about his father's research. - Peter doesn't help in any way because plot reasonsCovered above. Peter's concern is quiet rational. Harry's reaction does stretch credulity. After his earlier long talk with Peter his going full crazy reaction to not getting Spider-mans blood just didn't work for me. - Harry figures out Peter is Spider-Man and gets understandably upset (how much blood does he need? I doubt he wants to drain his friend of blood to die)Harry only finds out after he has taken the venom and changed. He arrives just after Spider-Man and Gwen have defeated Electro(Yes, Gwen, you read that right). You can literally see his mind ticking over. Gwen knows Peter, Peter seems to have a connection with Spider-Man, Spider-Man and Gwen are together. Peter Parker must be Spider-Man. Harry grabs Gwen, the final battle ensues, Gwen dies. - Harry decides to take his anger out on Gwen to spite Peter (is this before or after his attempt to use Electro against Peter fails?)Electro has been defeated and he immediately tries to kill Gwen. I haven't read the comics but I was aware that Gwen dies in them. I hadn't had any spoilers for the movie but during the final battle I suspected she would die. It looks like they wanted to avoid the clichéd last breath then die death(see TDKR). It's not really obvious why she dies. Spiderwebs stop her just short of the ground(maybe I didn't notice her head hit the ground) and none of the other falling objects seem to hit her. Peter arrives and cradles her but she remains motionless and unconscious until a little blood trickles out of her nose. If you're the GA you'd probably be thinking throughout the scene that her eyes would suddenly open and everything would be fine. Peter screams and cries a bit and then it cuts to the funeral. So what happens post-Gwen fall? Does Peter beat the crap out of Harry? Does Harry get away?Harry gets knocked unconscious as Gwen falls. You don't see him again until he is in a cell at the mental asylum.

It was OK, a bit disjointed. Probably slightly better then the first. B-Putting that X-Men scene in the way they could really confuse people about a crossover. Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

It seems to me a lot of that grief could have been avoided if Peter just leveled with Harry early on. I mean, he reveals his secret to Gwen in a ridiculously short amount of time, whereas Harry had been his best friend for years.

• Like 1

It seems to me a lot of that grief could have been avoided if Peter just leveled with Harry early on. I mean, he reveals his secret to Gwen in a ridiculously short amount of time, whereas Harry had been his best friend for years.

To be fair, he hadn't seen Harry in several years and there's not really much revealing his identity would've done to help things. Harry wouldn't listen to Peter or Spiderman separately on the subject, I don't see how finding out that they're the same person would've changed things. If anything, it'd probably make things worse between them.

Pretty bad movie.  C

Some of the funniest moments (for bad reasons)

* Gwen Stacy getting pissed because Spiderman/Peter Parker had to run off to save hundreds of lives.  He comes back from the first encounter with Elektro and all she can think about it is the interrupted conversation.  It wasn't like she didn't realize what had happened, in the background was all the destruction.

Hokey writing:

* Peter Parker's first encounter with the Jamie Foxx's character.  He is an engineer bumbling about the city saying "excuse me, I have blueprints in my hand".  After Spider-Man saves his life from a car; he says out of the blue "Thank you Spider-man.  I'm a nobody".  huh?  Where did that come from?  There had to be a better way to portray an insecure nerd caricature.  

*Gwen Stacy: "I'm coming with you".  Like, how is she supposed to help Spiderman combat Elektro??  She would just get in the way! (sounds nonsensical despite the fact she DOES help him).

Did NOT see the end credits coming!  Mystique and other mutants.  Wow!

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 2

I know I've said I'm not gonna watch but I just cant study all night so I'm downloading it now ( sue me ) and will watch it in a couple of hours on my computer

I saw Thor 2 on my computer and I expected crap and it actually was passable entertainment to me

Right now I'm just hoping for good action scenes.

Lol Tarzan buddy save most of your  money For Godzilla views. Still it seems Spidey 2i

s again lacking a quality story or character  development, so expect alot of over the top action to cover up

the quality. Im at least happy they did the Gwen Stacy passing well. I will check out spidey

after a few Godzilla views.  Even though Tobey is leagues above Andrew as is director Raimi. I will have to

watch this film at least once.

• Like 3

omg this movie where to fuckin begin my expose

First off the this film is ill disciplined. Once again there's no real beginning and as far as the end is concerned yeah everything you heard about it is right it cuts in the Smaug style but actually given the cheesy nature of Spiderman and the fact that I was prepared for this film neither to have a proper start nor finish, like so many franchise SH movies these days, so I wasn't bothered by it that much knowing beforehand how it will play out. I would also like to suggest to filmmakers making these movies aka studio committee to look at another franchise that's been running for 51 years now with a certain british agent in it that manages to have self contained stories with beginnings and endings. 

I would also like to tell you guys reading this that haven't seen the movie - people that tell you its action packed are WRONG or DELUSIONAL take your pick once you see it. I watched it at home right and I actually have the movie on my computer so I'll break it down in numbers for ya. in the first 105 minutes of the movie there is around 10 minutes of total action - as in action sequences ( ! ). I shit you not. Whoever cut those trailers gave away each and every action frame from the entire movie ( ! ). Also - the entire movie is in the trailers there is virtually nothing to actually see that's not in it. Nothing ! It is spectacularly spoiled beforehand. O track back on my math regarding 'action' there is around 18-20 minutes of total action in this 140 minute movie. If you exclude the opening fight with the bodyguard on the plane and the subsequent fall, breaking out electro and breaking into oscorp, and the final rhino confrontation ( I can't say fight because like you already all know it doesn't actually happen ) there are only 3 action set pieces that last for about 4-6 minutes each. So once again you can have your Spiderman movie as a melodrama instead of an action adventure. I mean I'm sorry call me immature all you want but when I watch this kids stuff I wanna be entertained - Winter Solider did it so there's no excuse for this to not do it.

The story - contrived beyond belief and utterly incidental. Has no organic structure to it it just goes all over the place trying to tie up some strands and creating far move of them for next installments so it once again feels like you're watching a television series instead of a movie.

Character - oh boy ! Electro is all sorts of wrong. First off I don't care about the comics so you can stop ( if you wanted to ) explaining how he's supposed to be like that. Jamie Foxx picked up the easiest paycheck in his career ever - hands down. Every bit of his character or his story arc is incidental and he is also not in it for a long time nor is he interesting at any point and not to mention the repetetiveness of another SM villain becoming what he is I mean its just uninspired in every way possible. Harry Osborn was fucking great. What a decent bloke! I mean he's abandoned as a child from his father, he finds out that he has a terrible illness that will kill him soon and to top it all off they sack him from the company. Sheeeesh that's a rough week he had right there - can't blame the guy for wanting to live right ? Also unlike Foxx the actor took his character that was also kinda randomly written without a clear idea what's he like and made it work. So bravo for him to succeed in this movie full of fails. Spiderman hmself was a total douche and I just cannot root for such a douchey character. Example - in the beginning he can stop Rhino's truck but oh no he makes jokes and flies around while this guy drives his truck through cars and inevitably people in those cars but hey they are not meant to be cared for so I won't either right. Garfield is a good actor otherwise but here he just doesn't fully work and I can't blame the guy. Emma Stone is there being Emma Stone and cute and smart. I've no problem with that she was ok.Rhino - barely in the movie but PG plays it in full camp mode so I guess he knows what's the deal here. Effects were good I guess except when Electro was involved in them - then they got video game-like and when I see that on my computer from a cam version of the movie I know you guys saw it too in the cinema.

All in all its 6 am here I'm tired and I just can't write about this movie's flaws anymore so I'll give it a grade

3/10

Also Gwen's death might be a bit of a shocker but after Peter kept seeing her dad everywhere judging him and even appearing in the scene where she was gonna get killed it was kinda obvious something was about to go down.

bring on the 6 villains thing its gonna be one big clusterfuck if this one was any indication

• Like 4

To be honest, I wish I had seen the awful film a few people above did. Anything to muster some kind of strong reaction.For me it was just middle of the road average. Better than the last film for sure; some of the action works well enough and there are a couple of scenes with great emotional impact (largely thanks to the actors). Unfortunately Webb again wastes his great cast of talented actors on a poor script that spends half the time tying up the last film's loose ends (and some damage done to the character) and the other half promising more next time around. It's just the same tired cycle set up to repeat itself again. Too many eyes are on the films ahead and not enough are on the script at hand. Overall TASM2 certainly has it's moments but they are undercut by an average half-finished script.

• Like 1