grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Taking down Deathly Hallows 2 to be WB's biggest movie ever

Considering that the script would have been probably heavily worked on by Schumer and her sister if she would have done it, it is fair to assume that it will be a vastly different movie than the Schumer version would have. According to the sony leak they have 3/4 different possible movie for it year's ago (Enchanted type version, barbie being recruited as spy, etc...).

18 minutes ago, franfar said:

This movie shouldn't be made in the first place

When they saw the ranking in world strength of the brands in 2014 and how high spider-man and Barbie were almost a 20% fan base in female below 25 in many market, close to 30% in growing market like Brazil, it was just too attractive at that price point, both Mattel license fee and movie budget could be really low for a global franchise movie (the movie success bar was set around 160m WW at the time).

Lego movie, Angry Bird and other really hard to pull of, achieved great success, there is probably something to do here that should be made commercially speaking, but Sony being behind it and how much all over the place without clear vision it seem to be is the issue.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Like the Anne Hathaway casting much more.

For the plot idea of a Barbie being kicked out of Barbieland for not being perfect enough, Schumer was a better choice then Hathaway. Hathaway is, well, too pretty for that role.

They have probably thrown the imperfect Barbie plot out the window, and God knows what they will come up to replacement. if the story that there are a number of different scripts making the rounds at Sony is true, it is a sign Sony does not know what the hell to do with this movie. Sounds like another film that was greenlit in a hurry without much thought in desperate search for a franchise,and will probably end up a total mess.

And yeah, I am afraid they will go for another "makeover movie" a la Princess Diaries or to name the grandmother of all makeover movies "My Fair Lady". Too bad, the imperfect Barbie in exile idea had some real comic potential.

• Like 1

Eh, shouldn't they have done this back when the Pirates series was more popular or with the GI Joe movies? Seems like the toy idea has long passed. And I thought most people considered Anne too old for these types of roles now? (even though I like the casting change). 

But towards the people commenting that Anne always looks perfect....watch Colossal. She can look pretty rough when she wants to. I dunno, I'm sure it will be bad but Anne is usually pretty versatile and could liven things up.

47 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Too bad, the imperfect Barbie in exile idea had some real comic potential.

Maybe with another actress. Not Amy Schumer especially if this was not going to be R (which I doubt it would be). Whether you like it or not, all of of her "comedy" is R gross out stuff.

If they were going for the exile idea, Zooey Deschanel, Kristen Wiig or Alison Brie could have done it. Or an actress who can do the awkward thing well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

For the plot idea of a Barbie being kicked out of Barbieland for not being perfect enough, Schumer was a better choice then Hathaway. Hathaway is, well, too pretty for that role.

They have probably thrown the imperfect Barbie plot out the window, and God knows what they will come up to replacement. if the story that there are a number of different scripts making the rounds at Sony is true, it is a sign Sony does not know what the hell to do with this movie. Sounds like another film that was greenlit in a hurry without much thought in desperate search for a franchise,and will probably end up a total mess.

And yeah, I am afraid they will go for another "makeover movie" a la Princess Diaries or to name the grandmother of all makeover movies "My Fair Lady". Too bad, the imperfect Barbie in exile idea had some real comic potential.

I never cared for that plot in the first place.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I never cared for that plot in the first place.

It was the only plot idea for a Barbie movie I have seen that might have made a decent film. if it is gone, the chances of suckitude for this film is 90%. And from all the confusion ,I think it iclear SONY does not know what the hell to do with this project.

On 7/25/2017 at 6:41 PM, somebody85 said:

Eh, shouldn't they have done this back when the Pirates series was more popular or with the GI Joe movies? Seems like the toy idea has long passed. And I thought most people considered Anne too old for these types of roles now? (even though I like the casting change). 

But towards the people commenting that Anne always looks perfect....watch Colossal. She can look pretty rough when she wants to. I dunno, I'm sure it will be bad but Anne is usually pretty versatile and could liven things up.

I mean, even in Colossal she's still good looking.  Just like, take a shower and have some coffee already.

• Like 2