egoplant

Did Lord Of The Rings popularize the "Director's Cut"?

It should be noted that with LotR, the term is "Extended Cut" - Jackson himself did NOT call it a director's cut; it was primarily done for the fans who couldn't get enough of Middleearth.Concerning "real" directors cuts: Some of my favourite ones are from Ridley Scott, "Blade Runner", "Legend" and "Kingdom of Heaven". Kingdom especially was nearly unwatchable in its theatrical cut, the DC is a real good film. Still, most DCs or extended editions are made to generate more business and as such are mostly unneccesary. And THIS trend became big after LotR.(I only bought the EE of LotR so no extra cash from my side but I'm sure there are lots out there who own both editions)

• Like 1

B)In the case of "Kingdom" you really can't understand what the studio (or whoever shreddered the thing down to its absymal, incoherent theatrical cut) might have been thinking. With a frontloaded blockbuster there's a certain reasoning behind cuts (1 show more per day = $$$) but with "Kingdom of Heaven" ?????I also believe the EE of the LotR-films would have done nearly as well in cinemas as the TC.

KOH:EE is a great film, agreed, and goes to show that when you make story decisions simply based off running time and your ideas of what an audience may be willing to sit through, usually you'll make a weaker film.Off the top of my head, probably the earliest "director's cut" is Spielberg's CLOSE ENCOUNTERS (although since then he's removed the extra footage from the ending that the DC added). And Cameron probably was the one to start popularizing them, at least in terms of getting the movie-going public aware of what DC's were (ALIENS and THE ABYSS in particular were stand-outs, and THE ABYSS:DC, like KOH:EE, proved that a DC could actually be a much better film).

i've only ever seen the theatre version in theatre !afterwards i bought the extended edition only , i was one of those fans who thought the theatre version were too short, i remember thinking once fellowship was over and people started exiting the screen room "whaaaat its already overr say it ain't soo" i immediately bought a ticket for the next session that night (i went to afternoon viewing) not that there's anything wrong with those version but who says no to more time in middle earth?!

coz nothing says lazy sunday more than watching the extended version of this grand trilogy! the credits just finished phew they are as long proportionally to the films lolgahh and once again i was pretty emotional from the moment frodo fights gollum for the ring inside mount doom to the bittersweet end, it just everyone saying goodbye/getting teary eyed as the realization its over for them and for us sinks init really hits me when aragorn says to the hobbits 'you bow to no one" cue music swell...

Posted Image

In the case of "Kingdom" you really can't understand what the studio (or whoever shreddered the thing down to its absymal, incoherent theatrical cut) might have been thinking. With a frontloaded blockbuster there's a certain reasoning behind cuts (1 show more per day = $$$) but with "Kingdom of Heaven" ?????

I also believe the EE of the LotR-films would have done nearly as well in cinemas as the TC.

From wikipedia regarding the Extended Edition of Kingdom of Heave. Bolded the part that is enough to warrent a thousand facepalms.

An extended director's cut of the movie was released on December 23, 2005, at the Laemmle Fairfax Theatre in Los Angeles, unsupported by advertising from 20th Century Fox. This version has been widely praised; at approximately 45 minutes longer than the original theatrical cut, it is purportedly the version Ridley Scott originally wanted released to theaters. The DVD of the extended Director's Cut was released on May 23, 2006. It comprises a four-disc box set with a runtime of 194 minutes, and is shown as a road show presentation with an overture, intermission and entr'acte; the Blu-ray Disc release omits the roadshow elements, running for 189 minutes. Scott gave an interview to STV on the occasion of the extended edition's UK release, when he discussed the motives and thinking behind the new version.[36]

After the pitching of this film, studio marketing executives took it to be an action-adventure hybrid rather than what Ridley Scott and William Monahan intended it to be: a historical epic examining religious conflict. 20th Century Fox promoted the film as an action movie with heavy elements of romance and, in their advertising campaign, made much of the "From the Director of Gladiator" slogan. When Scott presented the 194-minute version of the film to the studio, they balked at the length. Studio head Tom Rothman ordered the film to be trimmed down to only two hours, as he did not believe that a modern audience would go to see a three-hour-and-fifteen-minute movie. Ultimately, Rothman's decision backfired, as the film gained mixed reviews (with many commenting that the film seemed "incomplete") and severely under-performed at the US box office.

The Director's Cut (DC) has received a distinctly more positive reception from film critics than the theatrical release, with some reviewers suggesting that it is the most substantial Director's Cut of all time[37] and a title to equal any of Scott's other works.,[38] offering a much greater insight into the motivations of individual characters. Scott and his crew have all stated that they consider the Director's Cut to be the true version of the film and the theatrical cut more of an action movie trailer for the real film[citation needed]. Alexander Siddig, the Sudanese-born actor who played Imad ad-Din al-Isfahani, in particular agitated for the release of an extended cut

Extended edition of all 3 movies,(extended cut)

The Fellowship of the Ring:

1 Isildur's death.
2 Bilbo's opening narration "Concerning Hobbits".
3 Bilbo at the party scene avoiding the Sackville-Bagginses.
4 Bilbo and Frodo's dialogue at the party scene, while avoiding the Sackville-Bagginses.
5 The Hobbits at the Green Dragon Inn.
6 A conversation between Ted Sandyman, Hamfast Gamgee, Old Noakes, Samwise Gamgee and Frodo Baggins.
7 Frodo and Sam seeing Wood Elves making their way to the Grey Havens on their first day of their journey across the Shire.
8 The crossing of the Midgewater.
9 Aragorn singing "The Lay of Lúthien".
10 Sam shows Frodo the trolls when they are at Trollshaws.
11 Gandalf reciting Black Speech at the Council of Elrond.
12 Aragorn visiting his mother's grave.
13 The Fellowship given a goodbye at Rivendell.
14 Gandalf warning Frodo about Boromir near Moria.
15 Lothlórien panorama added.
15 Sam's poem about Gandalf's fireworks.
16 The Fellowship members have flashbacks from when they were given their gifts from Galadriel.
17 Celeborn and Aragorn have a conversation in a flashback.
18 Aragorn and Boromir seeing Gollum behind a floating log.
19 More of Merry and Pippin defending Boromir at Amon Hen
20 Fan Club credits.
Edited by The Joker

The Two Towers:  Extended Cut

1 Sam using his Elvish Rope to help him and Frodo rapel down a cliff; and a clip in which it is raining on them.
2 Pippin believes that Merry is wounded and asks the uruk-hai to give him some water. Instead they give him orc draught to drink.
3 Extra dialogue concerning Sauron's buildup of forces, gathering of allies, plotting, etc.
4 Éomer finds his cousin mortally wounded and brings him to Edoras.
5 Gríma exiling Éomer is extended.
6 The encounter between orcs and Uruk-hai is extended.
7 Frodo, Sam and Gollum take a break in the Marshes.
8 The funeral of Théodred.
9 The encounter between Treebeard and the hobbits Merry and Pippin is extended; there is also a scene in which Merry and Pippin stay          drunk only to hear the powerful voice of the Ent, almost falling off Treebeard's body.
10 Merry and Pippin drink Ent Draught (which makes them grow a few inches taller).
11 Merry and Pippin get attacked by Old Man Willow and Treebeard saves them.
12 Gandalf and Aragorn talk about Frodo's fate on their way to Rohan.
13 Some humorous scenes, such as one in which Eowyn (who is an awful cook) serves a plate of terrible stew to Aragorn.
14 Aragorn reveals his age to be 87 in a conversation with Eowyn.
15 Faramir finds the boat carrying the body of his brother Boromir; which brings him many memories that help to explain in detail his             relationship with his father Denethor and Denethor's unsympathetic and almost hostile attitude towards his younger son, Faramir.
16 Faramir and Boromir at Osgiliath.
17 Denethor sending Boromir to Rivendell to find out about the Secret Council called by Elrond and (presumably) the One Ring.
18 Legolas and Gimli comparing their Uruk-Hai kill count after the Battle of Helm's Deep.
19 Flotsam and Jetsam is a new scene where Merry and Pippin find food and Longbottom Leaf in Isengard.
20 Extended Scene of Sam's Speech at Osgiliath.
21 Faramir shows the hobbits the way out of Osgiliath.

22 Fan End Credits                                            

Edited by The Joker

The Return of the King: Extended Cut

1 The final confrontation between Gandalf and Saruman on Isengard; Saruman's staff breaks and he is stabbed in the back by                      Gríma Wormtongue, who is shot with an arrow by Legolas; Saruman falls from Orthanc and is impaled in a war machine. His                    palantír falls on the water and is found by Pippin.
2 The drinking game between Legolas and Gimli
3 The Mouth of Sauron
4 The fighting between Gandalf and the Witch-king of Angmar in Minas Tirith.
5 Extended scenes of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields
6 The march of Frodo and Sam between the orcs
7 Faramir telling Denethor that he would never use the One Ring (in a flashback on which Boromir appears).
8 Aragorn seeing the fleet of Corsairs ships.
9 Faramir and Eowyn in the Houses of Healing
10 Merry offering his services to King Theoden
11 Aragorn revealing the sword Anduril to Sauron in a palantír.
12 Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli barely escaping from an avalanche of craniums when they are negotiating the alliance with the                        Dead.
13 Faramir and Pippin having a passionate conversation in Minas Tirith.
14 Gollum and Frodo struggling on Mount Doom.
15 Sam threatening Gollum about Frodo on the secret stairs to Shelob's Lair.
16 Fan End Credits
17 New song called "Bilbo's Song" added to the closing credits
Edited by The Joker