lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

30 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

Dean Israelite is now blaming the PG-13 rating for the box office run of Power Rangers at Screen Rant.  He believed it could have made more if it was PG.   Of course, consider that it was flop internationally too, where they use other systems than the U.S. rating system.

Nah, it's because Power Rangers had very limited appeal before they made this film. Lionsgate/Saban were trying to sell the "nostalgia" factor, and their strategy backfired.

The only feasible market was North America. No other countries cared. But even the former's gross wasn't impressive.

Edited by NoobSaibot

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Well I blame him and the script. 

The movie's pace is usually mentioned as its biggest problem.  The PG-13 rating doesn't help explain why there was a 65% second weekend drop, followed by 3 more weeks of over 50% drops after that.  Other PG-13 rated movies have had no problems with holds from week-to-week, yet this one had a difficult time.  Considering how well the Avengers and the rest of the MCU movies tickets sell, with all of them being rated PG-13, it's hard to believe there would have been much difference between PG and PG-13.

Nah, it's pretty much a niche movie.

It's based on a series known for being insanely cheesy. It's hard to take it seriously. I don't blame people for saving their money, though this movie is much better than the show. Much, much, much better. It had heart, great chemistry between characters. 

You actually care about them. I loved it. I almost missed this one, I wanted to avoid it like the plague, BUT gave it a chance once some friends watched and liked it. 

I'm pretty happy with what I saw. Hopefully they'll manage to sell a lot of toys and dolls to get money to make a sequel. If GI Joe got a sequel, then one day I hope Power Rangers will also get one. Bring the same cast back, no recasting. They were all good. Nice to see that the asian guy ( black ranger ) is in Aquaman. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Well I blame him and the script. 

The first 40-45 minutes were actually very engaging. But once Zordon comes on screen and rita...it slowly becomes bad in pieces. Finally, the set piece at the end kills it completely. It was one of the worst action scenes I have ever witnessed. Just awful.

• Like 1

I think I get where the director is coming from. I think they overestimated the amount of older people that were nostalgic for Power Rangers, and then miscalculated how young the actual audience for the show are.

I don't know about nowadays but Power Rangers was seen as a show almost exclusively for very young kids growing up (ages 7 and down. Young kids would watch Power Rangers and Bob the Builder, older kids would watch Drake and Josh). Parents of kids those ages may have been concerned about the rating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

There was no Drake and Josh in 1993 (when the show was most popular), you must be young. 

Power Rangers was around when I was a kid. And I'm 17, they just keep on doing new seasons/spins like SPD or Mythic Force.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

My Cousin yesterday who's one of the world biggest Power Rangers fan ever said the movie was bad and that I didnt need to watch it. 

I was kinda sad, I was hoping he was going to love it atleast. 

watch it Jay. it's actually very good. It has the Tele/Ethan seal of approval

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

There was no Drake and Josh in 1993 (when the show was most popular), you must be young. 

Power Rangers has quite literally been on tv consistently since it's inception. doesn't matter when it was most popular. Most people under 30 grew up with Power Rangers on TV.

35 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

watch it Jay. it's actually very good. It has the Tele/Ethan seal of approval

Tele has had..... questionable taste lately, to say the least. He liked Covenant though, so he's good in my book :cloud9: 

You on the other hand......... :apocalypse: 

That excuse is ridiculous. This movie wasn't targeting a different audience than Guardians of the Galaxy or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Transformers. All of those and many others were successful with a PG-13 rating.

The problem with this movie is that it was well intentioned but the execution was terrible. Awful acting, cheap CGI, plot holes, that's what killed it. It was just not a good movie.

I liked it but the word of mouth was bad. It's legs were terrible. It wasn't like it was some hard to understand art house film so despite my like for it I acknowledge that it has to have some huge problems for the word of mouth to have been as poor as it was.

Variety said that Power Rangers was #1 on the video sales and rentals chart last week.  However, it is worth noting what is being discussed in this weekend's box office topic right now: PR's numbers in Portugal were awful.  That could be the biggest obstacle to getting a sequel green lit: international partners are going to be very reluctant to work with Lionsgate now, and are not likely to agree to the same terms for the production costs as this movie was made for.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 8:14 PM, NoobSaibot said:

It's not going to make a significant amount of money in Japan. Hollywood adaptations of Japanese properties typically tank there.

On 6/5/2017 at 11:00 PM, KP1025 said:

It still has Japan left in July, but I doubt it makes more than $10 million there (about the same as Ghost in the Shell).

$10 million sounds impossible after the opening weekend Power Rangers had in Japan:

https://twitter.com/GMANonScified/status/886630447442264064

Even considering that Super Sentai movies typically don't open #1 in Japan, that still sounds very, very low for PR at $575,000.  It has to be a major disappointment for Toei, since they co-own the Power Rangers property with Saban Brands.

Edited by Outrageous!