Noctis

Why didn't they just fly to Mordor?

Sure, it would have made for a lame story, but honestly, it would have been possible. Sauron's eye doesn't watch everything all at once, and he attends to some places more than others, as Gollum did point out.So, yeah...

The more powerful a being is, the easier/quicker it is for the Ring to corrupt it. The Eagles are actually magical beings gifted with sentience, etc and are closer to beings like Gandalf and Saruman on the mystical scale than regular humans/elves/etc. Even they would have been influenced by the Ring's call and the one carrying Frodo would likely have succumbed to the temptation well before getting to Mount Doom when the Ring realizes what's up.Also, you have the 9 Nazgul on fellbeasts who can sense when the Ring is in the vicinity.

Edited by 4815162342

• Founder / Operator

The more powerful a being is, the easier/quicker it is for the Ring to corrupt it. The Eagles are actually magical beings gifted with sentience, etc and are closer to beings like Gandalf and Saruman on the mystical scale than regular humans/elves/etc. Even they would have been influenced by the Ring's call and the one carrying Frodo would likely have succumbed to the temptation well before getting to Mount Doom when the Ring realizes what's up.

Also, you have the 9 Nazgul on fellbeasts who can sense when the Ring is in the vicinity.

Also it is explained on the DVD (as well the books) that the birds don't always come.

And these are the answers. :)

Perhaps the films should have made better note of these facts, but as Jackson himself admits on the commentaries, he's well aware of minor flaws like that that he'd like to have seen put in -- ultimately, you have to cut something from stories of this depth.

All right. I don't have a problem with it at all, I just thought it would have been possible. The more grating one is Potter's time-turner. I'm glad Rowling had the sense to destroy them in OoTP.

Tolkien himself was well aware of the problem with the eagles. From letter 210:"The Eagles are a dangerous 'machine'. I have used them sparingly, and that is the absolute limit of their credibility or usefulness. The alighting of a Great Eagle of the Misty Mountains in the Shire is absurd; it also makes the later capture of Gandalf by Saruman incredible, and spoils the account of his escape."

• Founder / Operator

Tolkien himself was well aware of the problem with the eagles. From letter 210:"The Eagles are a dangerous 'machine'. I have used them sparingly, and that is the absolute limit of their credibility or usefulness. The alighting of a Great Eagle of the Misty Mountains in the Shire is absurd; it also makes the later capture of Gandalf by Saruman incredible, and spoils the account of his escape."

Great find, I had completely forgotten about that fact.

All right. I don't have a problem with it at all, I just thought it would have been possible. The more grating one is Potter's time-turner. I'm glad Rowling had the sense to destroy them in OoTP.

And of course as a diehard Potter fan you never asked the question: Why was it so easy to destroy those time-turners? Why didn't those clever wizards do anything to protect their most valuable asset?There are more plot holes in LOTR than in a Swiss Emmentaler cheese, but Potter isn't really any better, sorry.But it doesn't matter, you know.

Actually, I don't know if there are real plotholes in LotR. A plothole means that there is an actual contradiction somewhere in the story - as for instance the famous Ocean's-11-plothole with the bags full of trash papers which appear out of nowhere. In last year's "Source Code", they constructed a "virtual" train out of the brainwaves of the passengers after it exploded - including the bomb hidden in a car - but the bomber had left the train before the explosion?! That's a plothole.The closest thing to a plothole in LotR would be the elvish inscription on the west door of Khazad-Dum: "Moria", meaning "Black Pit" - why would the dwarves put this derogative on their door even if the elves used it? And not simply an elvish translation meaning Dwarf-mine?

A couple reasons. The main one is that Sauron would have seen the Eagles, and the Nazguls would have taken them out. It's much easier to blend in from the ground. They only had once chance, since there was only one ring, and if they failed, it wouldn't have been good.Another thing is that Sauron actually knew their general location up until the fellowship broke apart. If they were flying, not just inside Mordor, but even flying towards it, Sauron would have easily known.Another reason is that The Eagles are not slaves. They helped Gandolf, because he helped them. They are their own race, and they might not have even agreed to it, seeing as how it was a pretty dangerous mission.