New 2017 Spoiler Policy

First, a slight adjustment for a movie’s main thread: no untagged spoilers within four (4) weeks of its North American release. After that point, spoiler discussion is allowed. For other threads (in other words, in all threads except the movie's main thread), no untagged spoilers until the movie is released on home video in North America. "Released on home video" means Digital HD or Bluray/disc, whatever comes first.

In a specific movie’s thread, you don’t need to specify what topic you’re spoiling. In general threads, tagged spoilers are fine, as long as you indicate what movie it's for. For example:

(INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE spoilers)

Maika Monroe’s scream is powerful enough to destroy alien shields.

Note: When a big blockbuster has a special Spoiler thread and another Spoiler-Free thread, spoilers are not allowed in the Spoiler-Free thread at all. The threads will be merged after the 4-week window and at that point it can be treated like a normal thread. This is the same policy we have right now, so people should be familiar with it.

Some movies do not have a theatrical release and go straight to VOD, or were produced specifically for streaming services (Netflix, Amazon). For those projects, we will assume a reasonable 2-month "theatrical" window where spoilers will apply. For example, if Netflix releases a movie on Jan. 20, spoilers would need to be tagged until March 20.

Suspensions/warnings/bans

Punishments will be up to the discretion of the staff, given the severity of what was spoiled and our interpretation of the intent. Someone who maliciously posts huge un-tagged spoilers for a highly anticipated movie — especially in an un-related thread —risks a long suspension or even a permaban. On the other hand, an excited conversation about a movie where someone accidentally slips too much detail into an answer may only get a PM, points, or a 24-hour suspension.

We think these new rules will help everyone, especially when it comes to platform releases around Oscar season and movies that have long international rollouts. That being said, we’re open to feedback and suggestions if someone has an idea they feel would help.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Blankments

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story | December 16, 2016 | 155M OW... nearly immeasurable | SPOILERS NOW ALLOWED

11,560 posts in this topic

Director: Gareth Edwards

Writer: Chris Weitz

Producer: Kathleen Kennedy, Tony To, John Swartz

Synopsis: A rogue band of resistance fighters unite to steal the Death Star plans and bring new hope to the galaxy.

Cast:

Felicity Jones

Diego Luna

Ben Mendelsohn

Donnie Yen

Jiang Wen

Forrest Whitaker

Alan Tudyk

Riz Ahmed

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm, said Edwards.

Gary Whitta's screenwriting credits include 2010's The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth,is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-spinoff-hires-godzilla-706636

8 people like this

I just hope he is still doing Godzilla 2.

10 people like this

We have threads created for every spin-off. This one will get merged with the correct one when we found out. I am gonna move it for now. 

Edited by CJohn
2 people like this

We have threads created for every spin-off. This one will get merged with the correct one when we found out. I am gonna move out for now. 

NOOO, I wanted full control of a Star Wars thread ala Chewy D:

So what happens if Avatar 2 tries to claim this date?

1 person likes this

I need to see what this movie's actually about, but after Godzilla, Edwards playing in this universe interests me more than Abrams.

13 people like this

So what happens if Avatar 2 tries to claim this date?

This should move to the 23rd.

Star Wars vs. Avatar

Oh, boy. :lol:

7 people like this

I didn't like Godzilla much, but most of its problems come from a weak script with bland characters. Give Edwards a good script to work with and he could really make something special.

But honestly I suggest you guys not go look at Gary Whitta's IMDB page :rofl:

7 people like this

I didn't like Godzilla much, but most of its problems come from a weak script with bland characters. Give Edwards a good script to work with and he could really make something special.

But honestly I suggest you guys not go look at Gary Whitta's IMDB page :rofl:

GARY WHITTA GARY WHITTA GARY WHITTA

NOOO, I wanted full control of a Star Wars thread ala Chewy D:

Then hope and pray we've been misinformed about the sidequels.

1 person likes this

I hope it's about the Rancor.

2 people like this

Seeing Edwards' background, I bet it's about how the Exogorth got to the asteroid belt

Posted Image

13 people like this

I hope it's about the Sarlacc

1 person likes this

SHIT THIS GARY WHITTA WROTE AFTER EARTH. 

The only thing I gathered from that article is that Monsters costs $500,000, yet Tommy Wiseaus The Room cost $6Million!!!!!!!Good God Almighty

1 person likes this

SHIT THIS GARY WHITTA WROTE AFTER EARTH.

NOOOOOOOOOOO