baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

That's what I was going to say. Each of the franchises mentioned before are different from each other. Warner was able to make eight straight-sequels over a very short time period and managed to keep up the interest of the GA.

Avatar has already lost the battle on the time lapse and number of entries. LOTR is a big franchise, but it's basically two trilogies with their own cast and plot, that just happen to share many aspects. And again, the time lapse between TROTK and AUJ 'invalidates' it. Star Wars has a much tighter storyline than LOTR, but they did change the cast, and the trilogies have come many years after the previous ones. Which is an achievement in itself, but of a different kind.

The MCU is very special, but for being a giant net of individual films interconnected, which is a very different situation. Fast and Furious comes fairly close, but it's hasn't kept the same cast all the time, and it's taking them more time to produce the films (both HP and F&F started in 2001). The X-Men franchise is mix of all these cases.

I hadn't thought of Fast and Furious. Yeah, likely the closest to it. Good comparison.

• Like 2

Not really the whole point of Potter is it NEVER lost popularity every movie was an event. F&F is closest I guess but its still only 10% there. 

Well they only really had one misstep. And they don't have a book following so there's that. I'd give them a little more credit than that.

• Like 1

Well they only really had one misstep. And they don't have a book following so there's that. I'd give them a little more credit than that.

They also bring in no where near the same gross overall. It's not close to Potter.

This isn't about long franchises, it's about being a top tier A list franchise that somehow some way didn't loose an ounce of popularity in 10 years.

• Like 1

They also bring in no where near the same gross overall. It's not close to Potter.

This isn't about long franchises, it's about being a top tier A list franchise that somehow some way didn't loose an ounce of popularity in 10 years.

Oh come on. Nothing is close to Potter. I pretty much said that in my first post. Potter is in a league of its own.

But for a franchise that is not dependent on Book fans, Fast series is the next closest franchise. I would give Fast series more than 10% of Potter. That's all I'm saying.

HP came close to breaking with COS. That shit was nasty... and it had a big drop too.

Actually, kind of liked that one... So silly and charming. Way, way too long and far too redundant though. It's Chamer of Secrets, Order of the Phoenix, Deathly Hallows Part 1 that really pushed away the non-readers from my experience. Conversely, I think Sorcerer's Stone, Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire are the most GA friendly of the films. Guess Deathly Hallows Part 2 as well given it puts a bow on it.

With the destruction of the Transformers franchise (the only thing that might make me believe in the existence of a benevolent God), it goes to show just how fucking impressive Potter was at the box office.

On 2017-7-8 at 8:23 AM, Noctis said:

With the destruction of the Transformers franchise (the only thing that might make me believe in the existence of a benevolent God), it goes to show just how fucking impressive Potter was at the box office.

Yes, because people are easily brainwashed.

I was not sure to understand what was going on here, before realizing that it was 2014 and that 2014 was before Force Awaken.

Even then, middle earth was not that far from potter:

The 6 movie average: 975 million

Lowest entry: 869.3 million

Last entry: 956 million

Highest: 1119.1 (in 2003)

Potter in 2014 was at

Average: 965 million

Lowest entry: 796.7 million 

Highest and last entry: 1341.5 million

Was it really in a different realm of sustained success than Lord of the Rings ?

On 12/7/2017 at 8:07 AM, Barnack said:

I was not sure to understand what was going on here, before realizing that it was 2014 and that 2014 was before Force Awaken.

Even then, middle earth was not that far from potter:

The 6 movie average: 975 million

Lowest entry: 869.3 million

Last entry: 956 million

Highest: 1119.1 (in 2003)

Potter in 2014 was at

Average: 965 million

Lowest entry: 796.7 million 

Highest and last entry: 1341.5 million

Was it really in a different realm of sustained success than Lord of the Rings ?

From the LOTR trilogy, NO. But then again that was not a whole decade.

Regarding Hobbit,inflation and exchange rates play a huge part here.

Azkaban must have sold more admissions than any Hobbit film.

Furthermore,there was a big break between the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies.

So yeah, Harry Potteer remains the most consistent franchise in history until today.

It's still incredible to me how easily the overseas grosses were dominated by 3 franchises throughout most of the 2000s. I mean from the Order of the Phoenix in summer 2007 all the way until Ice Age in the summer of 2009, for those two straight years the top 10 overseas aside from Titanic was made up of 3 Lord of the Rings Films, Two Pirates of the Caribbean films and 4 Harry Potter films.

In fact, from Finding Nemo in 2003 until Ice Age in 2009 not a single film ended up in the Top 10 OS that wasn't either Harry Potter of Pirates of the Caribbean.

If you want to take that further, From 1999s The Sixth Sense until 2009s Ice Age, for 10 years only TWO films hit Top 10 OS that weren't LOTR, Harry Potter & Pirates.

And during the whole 2000s decade (2000-2009) only FOUR other films hit Top 10 (Two of those being in the final year) whereas ELEVEN were from those 3 franchises. (6 Potters, 3 LOTR, 2 Pirates)

Pretty incredible to think about considering from 2010-2017 we've seen 13 franchises ended up Top 10 OS (Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story, Harry Potter, Pirates, Transformers, Avengers, James Bond, The Hobbit, Ice Age, Frozen, Fast & Furious, Star Wars, Jurassic Park)