baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

It's no secret I am not Potter's biggest fan, but it was really enlightening looking up the numbers and then realizing how dominant this series really is.

I completely agree.  I am not a fan at all, but it still is astounding what it did

Edited by 75live
  • Like 4

Wow, very well said.  I could never see something like that because I was never a fan of the series, either in written or visual form.

Nicely done bk007.

Going to add to your Twilight comment, as a reason to why Potter was bigger than it, because despite Potter being a boy, his story was relatable to both sexes, as I said, any kid growing up would be a possible fan as opposed to Twilight's predominantly female fanbase.

I think Twilight did phenomenal too, for having a very short release schedule to gain such a rabid fanbase and although the Hunger Games outgrossed all Potters unadjusted, once again, if it were kept over a longer schedule, it wouldn't be able to keep it up. Of course, the source material is a major reason.

I am really interested in seeing how the split will affect it. We've already seen Potter, Twilight and the Hobbit suffer from it. I haven't read either Twilight or the Hobbit, though I'm sure both did not need to be expanded to two and three parts respectively. I don't think Mockingjay needs to be split either, so unless the director makes a classic movie, it will drop too. Don't know why they decided to split the Divergent finale into two, since it doesn't even rival Twilight's fanbase.

• Like 5

That may be true, but I am at a loss to explain how the fifth and sixth movies kept increasing. It is almost like the entire audience got "in" on the joke. Going to almost 800M dollars without 3D WW is ridiculous for a movie which was in essence a remake of "Point Break".

fast five is easily explained too...Dwayne Johnson ;)

• Like 1

That may be true, but I am at a loss to explain how the fifth and sixth movies kept increasing.

Dwanetherock Johnson. I don't know why, given his own movies are rarely hits, but his presence in Fast really struck a chord.

• Like 2

Going to add to your Twilight comment, as a reason to why Potter was bigger than it, because despite Potter being a boy, his story was relatable to both sexes, as I said, any kid growing up would be a possible fan as opposed to Twilight's predominantly female fanbase.

I think Twilight did phenomenal too, for having a very short release schedule to gain such a rabid fanbase and although the Hunger Games outgrossed all Potters unadjusted, once again, if it were kept over a longer schedule, it wouldn't be able to keep it up. Of course, the source material is a major reason.

I am really interested in seeing how the split will affect it. We've already seen Potter, Twilight and the Hobbit suffer from it. I haven't read either Twilight or the Hobbit, though I'm sure both did not need to be expanded to two and three parts respectively. I don't think Mockingjay needs to be split either, so unless the director makes a classic movie, it will drop too. Don't know why they decided to split the Divergent finale into two, since it doesn't even rival Twilight's fanbase.

Funny you mention this.

In 2008, Entertainment Weekly had Edward and Bella on the cover.  In the article, they said something like, "if you haven't heard of Twilight by now, you have been living under a rock." Twilight was first published in 2005 and before it was being spoken about on the Mojo forums, I apparently was under than proverbial rock,  Both series blew up so quickly.  And it's pretty amazing that in the span of a decade or so, three young adult novel series gained such popularity.  

• Like 1

Thanks Baumer for writing this; it brings back the memories. I was actually thinking about it yesterday when I was packing to go to China in a few days. The last (and only other) time I was in China, the last book and the OOTP came out. I remember insisting that we lineup outside the bookstore at midnight even though I had a 2am flight to catch and there really wasn't time to get the book. But everything worked out and I remember reading and finishinf the book and then crying and crying during the 10 hour plane ride. That was such a special time; I was 15 then and it was a difficult time for me, but Potter was something that was simply described with the word Happy.

• Like 8

The numbers are really impressive. Even years later it's truly remarkable how they were able to pull $900M WW sequels so consistently, and how they avoided big drops.

It's a good question.  The 4th Potter, Goblet of Fire jumped 50 million domestically and 100 million WW.  My reason for this is simply because the third one dropped because the second was a bit of a let down.  But the fourth benefits from how well liked the third is.

I think you are spot on. Plus, Goblet of Fire seemed to have a bigger scale than the previous films. A lot of different and impressive locations, plus THAT scene with the dragon...

Game of Thrones could have been, maybe, if they planned 7 movies for 7 books after knowing the entire narrative. In its current anticipatory format, I don't think they could properly tell any story for a movie.

I think the keypoint here is that Harry Potter came out before the explosion of TV shows. Right now a long series like GoT and Harry Potter is more likely to end up as a TV adaptation. In fact, when WB decides to reboot HP, in the future, they'll probably make a TV adaptation, so they can use the faithfulness as a draw.

Another important fact contributing to HP's stability is that the main characters were children, who aren't likely to have a strong ambition for other projects and to change their image until they have reached certain age.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Dwanetherock Johnson. I don't know why, given his own movies are rarely hits, but his presence in Fast really struck a chord.

It's like the Apes when they say, alone, they are weak, but together, Apes strong.  That's the Rock.  Alone, no one gives a shit about his films, but put him in a popular franchise, and he ignites it even further. Synergy is the right word.

• Like 2

Thanks Baumer for writing this; it brings back the memories. I was actually thinking about it yesterday when I was packing to go to China in a few days. The last (and only other) time I was in China, the last book and the OOTP came out. I remember insisting that we lineup outside the bookstore at midnight even though I had a 2am flight to catch and there really wasn't time to get the book. But everything worked out and I remember reading and finishinf the book and then crying and crying during the 10 hour plane ride. That was such a special time; I was 15 then and it was a difficult time for me, but Potter was something that was simply described with the word Happy.

Terrific post rich....

• Like 1

That may be true, but I am at a loss to explain how the fifth and sixth movies kept increasing. It is almost like the entire audience got "in" on the joke. Going to almost 800M dollars without 3D WW is ridiculous for a movie which was in essence a remake of "Point Break".

Yes, you are correct.  They too changed their dynamic and instead of dropping, they increased.  But the return of Vin and the addition of Rock had to help.

• Like 1

I am not sure. Fast & Furious itself looks good for another 3 4.

Don't think so. I think this seventh movie will beat all before it because of Walker's death. I don't think the cast will really want to make another after that, and if they do, it is guaranteed to drop unless they can reinvent again, but without Walker, it is going to suffer. In Hollywood he may not be top tier, but in this franchise, there are only two superstars and one has now passed. RIP.

F&F is really more notable for making stupid money with its 5th and 6th entries, but it started off small. Impressive, but in a different way.

I'd like to see something written on Bond, as well. If we're talking about longevity that franchise is the Holy Grail.

Another 4th movie in a franchise which increased right here in "Fast and Furious". It more than doubled the third movie. F&F is an amazing study in how to reinvigorate a franchise, Fox is doing this on a smaller scale with X-Men (since the starting point itself was pretty big there).

Yes, and that is easily explainable.  The Return of Vin.

What's most impressive to me about Fast is that not only is the first movie not the biggest of them adjusted, it's not even the second biggest adjusted.

Going to address all these points at one go. baumer's right that Vin catapulted the fourth. The third had none of the stars from the first so obviously it was really almost the first true sequel to the first movie. Regarding the fifth and sixth, the Fast series producers must be some of the most savvy out there. The way they basically made the cast a smorgasbord of culture really makes it more appealing to the entire worldwide audience, so the next sequel just keeps acting like a sequel rather than a second sequel.

To me, I only like Fast Five. The first four are watchable but wouldn't care to watch them again. The last one was terrible and if it were not for Walker's passing, I think it would have dropped despite Statham and co. joining.

• Like 2

One of these days, I too will watch them all again.  I don't have a wife to bitch at me for watching movies too often. :)

• Like 1