Automatically embedding has been temporarily turned off until the Twitter bug has been fixed. This will only affect new posts made. Once the issue has been fixed, automatic embedding will return. It is possible to manually embed content I believe. If you quote a post with an embedded tweet, please delete the tweet.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

kayumanggi

KRAMPUS | 12.4.15 | Universal | final domestic gross: $42,725,475

130 posts in this topic

This is going to bomb big time. Both buzz and the ad campaign are virtually nonexistent, plus horror and Christmas just aren't a commercially appealing combo.

This will likely open on par with The Gallows and The Lazarus Effect. But if it's well liked and if not at least brings people the goods an opening between 15-20 million wouldn't be too bad.

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

This is going to bomb big time. Both buzz and the ad campaign are virtually nonexistent, plus horror and Christmas just aren't a commercially appealing combo.

Unless if it's done right. Why did Silent Night, Deadly Night underperform? Because it had the controversies due to its subject about a guy in a Santa Claus outfit killing people. Why did the Black Christmas remake just bleh? It wasn't memorable, it was the Weinstein's cash in. Why did Santa's Slay be placed into a small release and then DTV? Possibly because the film was being shit on by the studio and dumped into a small release. Krampus will probably do ok for a little bit, but it's legs will terrible for it.

With a supposed $15 million budget, it shouldn't be hard to be in the black...hopefully.

This looks like soooo much fun I want it to do well

Edited by Jay Salahi
6 people like this

This looks so ridiculously campy and dumb I kinda want to see it. :ph34r:

I love these type of movies. I find myself in the minority on that though. A Christmas horror comedy is guaranteed box office poison.

1 person likes this

Its out in cinemas here already and I got to watch it.

Disappointing. So much potential, some damn good practical effects, but the pacing just seemed way off to me.

You know how in horror movies, the "something's not right" feeling is what dominates the first act?

Spoiler

In here, it literally takes half the movie to get things going as they would in the first 20 minutes of most other horror comedy flicks. Most of the audience seemed restless or were unashamedly checking their phones.

I know that Dougherty wanted this Gremlins kind of vibe, but the creatures don't get enough screen time (nowhere near the Gremlins in their own film). A shame cos there was clearly some thought put into their designs. 

First act and third act (the ending especially) were not bad for me, its just that the movie screeches to a near halt in the middle.

However, I think its more of a marketing issue (see Crimson Peak..). I'm not expecting word of mouth to be good, but I really hope its just me and you guys manage to enjoy watching this.

1.5/4

Edited by kaijukurt
2 people like this

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

No reviews yet, whoops.

I dunno, Universal seem to be embargoing all their reviews this year. It does seem odd as the movie has been released in other countries.

1 person likes this

After a bit of thought, its pretty cool how a seemingly genuine sense of Christmas spirit seems to shine in this movie (despite my issues with parts of the film)

I guess Christmas horror  really is hard to crack after all.

Is it anything like Drag Me to Hell? 

the trailer reminds me of that movie.

24 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Is it anything like Drag Me to Hell? 

the trailer reminds me of that movie.

Hmm well our protagonists are responsible for all the bad stuff but they arent terrible persons (Though Drag me to hell's lead is debatable)

They're also both comedy horror and twisted in their own sort of way.  

Quality-wise, I enjoyed Drag me to hell wayyy more. 

Too bad...

And yes, DMTH is wonderful.

2 people like this

31 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Too bad...

And yes, DMTH is wonderful.

Hmm wait actually Krampus does give some serious Drag me to hell vibes..especially the whole moral lesson bit. 

Its just that its unevenness distracts a lot from any DMTH similarities.

This is PG-13 right? Is it a "pretty gory for PG-13" cause I know in British Colombia it got 14+.

Drag Me To Hell was pretty standard stuff. 

It would be disappointing if Krampus ranks below it.

52 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This is PG-13 right? Is it a "pretty gory for PG-13" cause I know in British Colombia it got 14+.

Yes