#ED

The Equalizer (2014)

The Equalizer (2014)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. The Equalizer (2014)

I read Richard Wenk's script almost two years ago and it was AMAZING but... Fuqua is just so boring. I mean... he's not the most exciting director around. It's still a fine movie but I'd LOVE to see Refn's version.

7/10

• Like 2

Loved it. The last 20-30 minutes were very intense and Denzel was the ultimate badass. He also has a particular set of skills that pretty much make him unbeatable. And it is awesome to see him killing Russian trash.

16/20

• Like 2

Very entertaining and badass action movie. It won't be an Oscar movie, but it sets out to do what it does, and it does it very well. Realistic, impactful violent action scenes, and some memorable dialogue. Fuqua is stylish enough to elevate the material. Denzel is great as always. Csokas chews the scenery wonderfully. Alot of fun.

• Like 2

Very entertaining and badass action movie. It won't be an Oscar movie, but it sets out to do what it does, and it does it very well. Realistic, impactful violent action scenes, and some memorable dialogue. Fuqua is stylish enough to elevate the material. Denzel is great as always. Csokas chews the scenery wonderfully. Alot of fun.

Good to hear, as I like these kind of stories....

Will there be sequels???

It was solid. I wasnt blown away, but it was worth it. Denzel killed, literally and metaphorically, and Csokas was menacing. Had some flaws, but nothing major. Seemed pretty real and grounded and cinematog was nice. Was not expecting the 3rd act climax to take place in a fictional Home Depot, but it was badass.

B.

On paper this should be one of my favourite films this year. It has a hero I liked, a villain I adored, some really good dialogue and plotting and some fun action.

But god dammit, I really could not stand Fuqua's direction here. Now, I should note I'm not talking about the action here, that was great. But every other scene is shot just so slow and dull and dark (in the MoS sense of the word (aka poorly lit)) that scenes that should be maybe a few minutes instead feel like they drag on for hours. Seriously, how many times and for how long did we just get a close-up of Denzel's head/face looking reflexive? Don't get me wrong, there were a few good shots like the one with shirtless Teddy leaning back in his chair while the camera flipped over him. That was great. But the rest was just so dull.

Speaking of, Marton Csokas as Teddy was easily the highlight of the film. And, like I said, there were a lot of things I liked about the film. The man oozed charisma and badassery in near every scene he was in. The best scenes were those where he and Denzel faced off against each other. And his (assumed) backstory was both original and actually pretty interesting. 

So yeah, it's still a good movie but, with a more capable director it could've been so so much more.

• Like 2

I was not talking about every Russian, I was specifically talking about the ones in the movie. I hope nobody takes that in a offensive way.

no worries CJ 

we're always portarayed like that (wether on film or on the news))))) so we're used to it   :rofl:  :P

good cinematography was the only redeeming quaity to me (& Marton Csokas obv. I get nostalgic of the times he dated Eva Green)))

kinda dull movie overall

Denzel is good as usual tho

Id love to see him in better  movies like Flight etc

Edited by Tauriel

I had a lot of fun with it. Denzel was badass, and so was Coskas. I know we were all joking about him earlier this year, but I expect him to get a few calls after stealing the show in this. I wanted an awesome R-rated action movie and I got it A

• Like 2

I too had high hopes for this film, but after watching it, I feel very ... underwhelmed.

The first half of the film started out great. I really liked the build up of everything, and how Denzel managed to take out bad guys in the first half. The second half for me is where it sort of fell apart. I found the soundtrack got really overbearing in the second half, to the point that I was getting annoyed and frustrated watching the second half. I just wanted the soundtrack to shut up and stop. Also in the second half I found the use of the super slow motion in several scenes really lame.

Csokas was absolutely great in the first half, but some of the mysteriousness and cool factor of his character diminished in the second half. When he started getting more desperate in the second half, I found that sort of lame. Also his death scene was VERY disappointing, as I expected an epic fight between Csokas and Denzel, which didn't happen. The movie did such a great build up between both of them, and then in their final confrontation it was mostly a whimper. Also the way Denzel took out Pushkin was way too quick and also lame.

I thought Moretz did well, I had no problems with her.

All in all, this was a film that had great potential, but ultimately ended up being average to me for the above-mentioned reasons.

I give this a B-.

An incredibly unrealistic film.  So unrealistic how he just flies to Russia and manages to kill the main Russian mobster.  So unrealistic and yet so bloody entertaining.  The one slo mo shot when he comes out from behind the shelves and the water is falling in slo motion and the music is epically bad ass, I was in movie heaven.

Denzel is terrific and the bad ass villain is one of the better movie villains I've seen.  What could have been a one dimensional Russian mobster turned out to be a character that you hated so organically that when he doesn't get his ass kicked before he dies, it leaves you a little disappointed.    Still a very, very entertaining film.

8/10

An incredibly unrealistic film.  So unrealistic how he just flies to Russia and manages to kill the main Russian mobster.  So unrealistic and yet so bloody entertaining.  The one slo mo shot when he comes out from behind the shelves and the water is falling in slo motion and the music is epically bad ass, I was in movie heaven.

Denzel is terrific and the bad ass villain is one of the better movie villains I've seen.  What could have been a one dimensional Russian mobster turned out to be a character that you hated so organically that when he doesn't get his ass kicked before he dies, it leaves you a little disappointed.    Still a very, very entertaining film.

8/10

I would have liked to have enjoyed it as much as you, but sadly I didn't. I had high hopes for this film.