Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

Words like "whitesplaining" and "mansplaining" (in addition to other BS like "manspreading") are offensive to the universe just because of their existence alone.

Well that's someone who whitemansplains all day while manspreading would say. /s

I'm an Arab actor who's been asked to audition as a terrorist 30 times. If 'La La Land' cleans up at the Oscars I'm done :

http://uk.businessinsider.com/im-an-arab-actor-whos-been-asked-to-audition-as-a-terrorist-30-times-2017-2

The backlash to this movie is getting weirdly intense. I should probably watch the damn thing by now.

Edited by Hatebox

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

I'm an Arab actor who's been asked to audition as a terrorist 30 times. If 'La La Land' cleans up at the Oscars I'm done :

http://uk.businessinsider.com/im-an-arab-actor-whos-been-asked-to-audition-as-a-terrorist-30-times-2017-2

The backlash to this movie is getting weirdly intense. I should probably watch the damn thing by now.

What does one even have to do with the other? We see you and your tactics, Harvey Weinstein!

9 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

:kitschjob:

Now I hope La La Land sweeps, just to piss these people off

• Like 1

Monday can't hurry up enough so we can finally move on and put this navel-gazing schmaltz back in the dusty retailer's bin wherein lie all those forgettable ego stroking Hollywood fluffy bullshit alongside The Artist and Nine.

Edited by dashrendar44

13 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Monday can't hurry up enough so we can finally move on and put this navel-gazing schmaltz back in the dusty retailer's bin wherein lie all those forgettable ego stroking Hollywood fluffy bullshit alongside The Artist and Nine.

One of these movies isn't like the other two. ;)

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

That's true. The Artist is a silent movie.

lol.

But no, I was referring to the fact that La La Land and The Artist are Best Picture winners and Nine was both a critical and box office bomb that's only remembered for being the textbook definition of "failed bait."

All this controversy intensifying to such levels right before the Oscars feel rather artificially fabricated, doesn't it?

It feels like a lot of these articles are pure clickbait dressed up as self-righteous pieces. Either that or someone is paying people to bury this movie. Seriously, how long has this movie been out for? We've got a couple of sparse articles about those silly controversies here and there when it came out but this week they're suddenly everywhere. The timing is no coincidence.

Probably just clickbait though.

And yeah, it makes me hope even more for a complete sweep.

• Like 2

I have a feeling the film will sweep the Oscar but I think La La Land will likely join the list of forgotten best picture winners because I think the film is not as widely accessible outside the musical audience (even with its huge box office success), as I think its more a flash in the pan film.

Unlike Departed, Argo and The Kings Speech which were more widely accessible films. 

Its not about it being a bad film or the other films being better, just the nature of the film ( a lot of people are just against watching any musicals at all, but watched Sound of Music #hyporcrisy)

Btw I generally liked film 7.5/10, but I think the reason is I could not really get involved with the characters. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

But only after it makes $10s of millions more at the box office ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayhawk said:

But only after it makes $10s of millions more at the box office ;) 

Remember we're on the BO forum where people seriously argue that the top worldwide grosser Avatar has been all but forgotten so saying La La Land will fade into a hazy memory oblivion of Buzzfeed's era zeitgeist-y fad once Oscar glitz is over doesn't seem that far-fetched. BO number is just an indication of its present time popularity (inflated by the hype built up to win Academy Awards) but you can't help but feel how fleeting it is, not an indication of its staying power nor an indictment of its eventual enduring cultural signification.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Remember we're on the BO forum where people seriously argue that the top worldwide grosser Avatar has been all but forgotten so saying La La Land will fade into a hazy memory oblivion of Buzzfeed's era zeitgeist-y fad once Oscar glitz is over doesn't seem that far-fetched. BO number is just an indication of its present time popularity (inflated by the hype built up to win Academy Awards) but you can't help how fleeting it feels, not an indication of its staying power nor an indictment of its eventual enduring cultural signification.

I was just trying to rustle your jimmies Dash :P

• Like 1

It will not make the sight and sound poll of best movies of all time that happens every decade and probably won't be studied in film schools but I bet it would be more well remembered 10 years from now than most of this decade's BP winners.

37 minutes ago, Joel M said:

It will not make the sight and sound poll of best movies of all time that happens every decade and probably won't be studied in film schools but I bet it would be more well remembered 10 years from now than most of this decade's BP winners.

Well if you compare against Spotlight and the Artist, its not that hard 

• Like 1