CJohn

My Little Pony: The Movie | Oct 6 2017 | Emily Blunt. Sia joins voice cast.

3 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Do they still have songs? I have a lot of them saved from the first two seasons and i've been sporadically watching the later ones but I haven't come across anything.

Yeah, they do. Only one this season so far though was a real bland one that was used to set up a joke (which was pretty funny). 

I think this movie is going to have a few.

1 hour ago, Super Robertman2 Odyssey said:

Are the ponies being recasted?

No, the studio just figured that most people wouldn't recognize the regular voice actors, so they only gave billing to the celebrities voicing new characters. Which is kind of annoying, but not really a new thing for movies like this. I remember the 2007 Ninja Turtles had Kevin Smith billed above the actors who played the actual turtles, while Smith only had maybe 5 lines of dialogue. 

Huh, bit of an anime influence in the style which is a nice surprise.

I don't know if it'll win anyone over but I think it does succeed in giving you an idea of those moments of subversive humor and comicbooky action that have won the series its fans.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

As somebody who's never seen a full episode of the show, but still likes a lot of similar cartoons, I think it looks pretty enjoyable. Not crazy about all the off-looking CGI, but I'm just glad to see SOME hand-drawn movie get a wide release.

It will be interesting to see how it does, though. No matter how much Lionsgate hypes up the celebrity voices, I think the stigma of being "My Little Pony" will keep it from breaking out. It reminds me of how The Powerpuff Girls Movie flopped in 2002. But one thing this movie has in its favor was that PPG opened at the height of the summer blockbuster season, while I think MLP will only really have to worry about Lego Ninjago. 

Edited by Blipsy

We'll see about the stigma but I think we're at a point where we underestimate female-targeted properties at our own peril. This is certainly a very unique release both within the animated/family movie department and cinema as a whole. I sure hope people give it a chance as I think the series is representative of everything progressive thinkers strive for.

• Like 2