CJohn

My Little Pony: The Movie | Oct 6 2017 | Emily Blunt. Sia joins voice cast.

Just now, tribefan695 said:

Gonna be fun looking back on all this prejudicial dismissiveness when this gets better reviews than Despicable Me and Cars.

It wouldn't surprise me, though it's also not that hard when both of those are in the 60s on RT :lol: 

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It wouldn't surprise me, though it's also not that hard when both of those are in the 60s on RT :lol: 

You'd think this were some Brinquedo or Weinstein thing the way some people are talking about it.

Edited by tribefan695

I think Ninjago and MLP can both co-exist, especially since MLP will likely bring in more adults without kids than Ninjago will, due to the vocal adult fanbase for the show.

Either way, Fall 2017 looks to be in better shape than Fall 2016. The top 15, at least, looks to have greater potential.

Spoiler
  1. It: $65 million/$170 million
  2. Blade Runner 2049: $50 million/$150 million
  3. Kingsman - The Golden Circle: $50 million/$135 million
  4. Ninjago: $35 million/$115 million
  5. The Mountain Between Us: $25 million/$100 million
  6. My Little Pony - The Movie: $30 million/$85 million
  7. Geostorm: $25 million/$70 million
  8. Cloverfield 3: $25 million/$65 million
  9. Boo 2! A Madea Halloween: $25 million/$60 million
  10. mother!: $15 million/$55 million
  11. Happy Death Day: $15 million/$35 million
  12. The Snowman: $15 million/$35 million
  13. Thank You for Your Service: $10 million/$35 million
  14. Jigsaw: $15 million/$30 million
  15. Granite Mountain Hotshots: $10 million/$30 million

That fat creature looks like Stitch, so that's one point in this movie's favor.

Plus, according to imdb, some people who did 2D animation in the past have a chance to use their skills for this movie, which is nice.

Edited by cannastop

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

This strikes me as one of those movies that's gonna get released in cinemas and be online in HD less than a week after. One of those kinda cheap films.

Yeah this looks like something that was meant to go straight to video but for some reason got a theatrical release.

On 6/29/2017 at 5:53 AM, cannastop said:

Kind of sad that this is the only major 2D animated feature this year.

On 6/29/2017 at 6:36 AM, tribefan695 said:

It's more than we've had any year since 2011.

Maybe this is the movie that gets studios making them again.

I guess 2D animation, or the 2D animation style at least, has gone to television.  The upcoming Ducktales reboot, Tangled: The Series, Big Hero 6: The Series, The Loud House, and the next Ninja Turtles series, are all in the 2D style.  A 2D movie of a popular 2D animated series may be one of the very few ways we will see studios want to put 2D animated movies in theaters.

Recently, Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner said this to The Hollywood Reporter:

And if you think about a brand, be it My Little Pony, where 30 percent of our global TV audience is boys,

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

This strikes me as one of those movies that's gonna get released in cinemas and be online in HD less than a week after. One of those kinda cheap films.

I can't see how the MLP movie is going to get a similar percentage to that for its box office run.  There is a strong possibility of the movie having a front loaded opening weekend, and add in that Friendship is Magic is almost 7 years old, in an industry where two years can be considered to be a long time for an animated series like MLP.  I do think this will be available on digital and Blu-ray by Christmas.  It would make no sense to me for Hasbro and Lionsgate to wait until after Christmas to release this.

The SpongeBob movie did manage a 2.94 multiplier even with being a longer running TV show and a bait and switch campaign that was focused on its live action/CGI climax. This movie has more of an uphill battle with the GA so I think word of mouth could be more of a factor if it's good. But of course since it is such an uphill battle I expect most will predict bad legs unless reviews convince them otherwise

• Like 1