#ED

John Wick (2014)

John Wick  

60 members have voted

1. 1. John Wick

Holy Christ!

I'm blown away at how good this is. I'm still a little high on it, but this is most likely the best action movie of the year.

Yes. Better than The Raid 2.

Plus! Daniel Bernhardt!

I seriously want to start it up and watch it again right now.

I really want to see this....and I am very glad Mr.Anderson has another hit under his belt.

Ps... I have to check out what the Raid 1 and 2 were?

Way better than The Equilizer and A Walk Among the Tombstones both in terms of action and story.  Yeah, the dog revenge angle might be a bit silly, but it works in this movie.

I really hope there's an unrated or director's cut that comes out with the home video release, would love to see some of the scenes fleshed out a bit more.  

Overall, 3 out of 4 stars. 

• Like 2

The world building is sort of excellent. This mythical code and society among hitmen elevates the movie.

I compared this movie favorably to the killing machine that is Max Payne in Max Payne 3. This is a good thing.

B+/A-

• Like 3

This movie was just fucking FUN, I was never bored. Its well paced, the action is brutal and beautifully choreographed, the humor(both explicit and deadpan) was excellent, and the cinematography was georgeous in parts.  Keanu Reeves works great in roles like this and it also had a good supporting cast that I wasn't expecting.  Dug the music in this too.  The story is nothing new, its a straightforward revenge thriller, but this is top quality genre filmmaking that stands out with style.  Would watch again fo shoz.

A / A-

• Like 4

Very enjoyable movie.  It lived up to what was advertised.  Some good to very good action, had many funny parts and was just all around a good time.

Like I have said before to people, you never mess with a man's car or dog ;)

B+  possibly A-

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

O.

M.

G.

As someone who's been warped into picking comic book and other franchise films, this is most definitely my favorite action film of the year.

Cool...and better than Guardians?, which is very high praise...

Edited by Lazer Deadshot

Very, very fun movie. Loved the way it was shot and directed- artistic bent, but not in a pretentious way. The action was shot incredibly clear and exciting. I hate to use the word the RT consensus used, but "kinetic" is just the perfect way to describe it- the pace, the music, the colors, the captions, the cinematography all lent to a unique style. Excellent job with world-building too. Really interesting establishing the hitman underworld without any real exposition. Keanu was great, of course. It's simple, but I didn't mind- someone kills Keanu's dog, Keanu kills everyone else. The final fight/climatic battle is a big let down, though. The nightclub scene and house scene are two of the best action scenes I've seen in a long time. Do recommend. 

• Like 2

Cool...and better than Guardians?, which is very high praise...

I tend to connect differently to action films based in the real world vs. sci-fi/fantasy action films.

And John Wick doesn't have any overblown action sequences involving massive explosions or pile-ups on the freeway.