Sal

Star Trek 50th Anniversary

I'm really hoping they do something but it's sounding less and less like this big anniversary will get the attention it deserves...

http://1701news.com/node/542/star-trek-may-not-be-ready-50th-anniversary.html

What would you like to see for the Anniversary (in an ideal scenario, of course).  Another movie in the current reboot?  A new reboot?  Another TV series?  A Television special of some kind?

I'd love some sort of traveling exhibit, covering the first pilot to the most recent movie, touring major cities throughout the country with props, signed memorabilia, models, etc; then, either separately or as an aspect of this, a re-release of the films in a roadshow-style format. Rotate through the country, playing a week or two in classic theaters.

• Like 6

I did that Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas way back when. It was pretty fun for being a hotel one trick pony ride. But It was basically a shuttle on a gimbal. What made it actually worth mentioning was the the way they handled the video. The screens were on the front, sides and roof. You could actually see the ships flying over head and then shuttle would react to the thruster wake. I was really impressed by the way they did it. 

But my point is a traveling exhibit that somehow included a ST "exhibit" would be pretty cool.

With all the history and possibilities for interactive exhibits they could do it'll be a real shame if all they get is a retrospective documentary and a half assed exhibit. If they can put together a cool Marvel exhibit in such a short amount of time they should be able to do something for Trek.    

Should being the key word here. 

Edited by Rufus Magillicutty
  • Like 2

Given that they are shooting next year, the film should be ready for 2016. The article is from January and a lot of progress has been made since then.

I imagine from next September to the actual anniversary, we are going to see a lot of stuff relating to the 50th anniversary from new memorabilia, new documentaries, cast interviews on every chat show or morning show and that will only boost the film because it's essentially free publicity. I would be up for a Star Trek behind the scenes drama similar to An Adventure in Space and Time but I imagine it would either air on CBS or Showtime.

A TV series is more tricky because the franchise is owned by CBS, Paramount only has film rights and CBS have been reluctant to do a TV series despite creators approaching them and realistically if Star Trek does come to television, it'll either be on CBS, The CW or at a push Netflix but given how well Under the Dome has done for CBS and they have been ordering summer series like Extant and Zoo, I wouldn't rule out CBS considering a Star Trek series. 

There has been talk on and off about them wanting to do a TV Series based on Worf.

While I get that Klingons are popular, I admit that he's probably the TNG character I'd least like to see a spin-off about.

Edit: with the obvious exception of Wesley.

Edited by Sal

Well, the problem with Worf is that there is very little left to explore of him as a character, considering he's been a main member of a cast for eleven seasons (seven on TNG and four on DS9).

On the bright side, he is the definition of charisma. And if there's a known character that could deal with the pressure of building a show around him it's Worf.

And it's been a while since the events of Voyager/Nemesis. I'm sure they can develop the story enough to put him in a new exciting situation.

Now that I think about it, I LOVE the idea. They can make something fresh, but also related to the stories of the three previous 24th Century shows. An alien perspective might be the fresh angle the franchise needs on TV. I do think the Klingon storylines tend to get tiresome when they run for a long time, but this doesn't have to be totally Klingon-centric.