grim22

Supergirl | CBS | Melissa Benoist from Whiplash and Glee to play the title character.

It looks like how a group of sexists male TV executives would envision the way a "Superhero show aimed at women" shoud look like.

Pete Campbell would greenlight this.

Thats exactly what I was thinking when watching, It looks extremely sexist and the entire way they partry Supergirl is all wrong, plus it just looks plan bad.. I wanted this to be good, because I think Supergirl is a really awesome character. but from the looks of that trailer they soo missed the mark. 

But Supergirl is THAT girly. If this were Wonder Woman, then I agree that it would be super sexist to make her alter ego Ugly Betty meets Devil Meets Prada's Anne Hathaway. But it is okay for Supergirl to be light, fun and chick flicky.

Plus, Melissa seems all kinds of adorable.

Edited by Spidey Freak

But Supergirl is THAT girly. If this were Wonder Woman, then I agree that it would be super sexist to make her alter ego Ugly Betty meets Devil Meets Prada's Anne Hathaway. But it is okay for Supergirl to be light, fun and chick flicky.

There's a difference between girly and sexist. Gilmore Girls, Ugly Betty (the US version), Younger...are girly shows, but their essence is far from sexist. Only 1:30 minutes into the trailer and we have seen that Kara is completely worthless in front of a cute guy, and we have met two potential love interests already. That's the first impression they wanted to give us about the protagonist, how she interacts with men, before seeing any of her powers or intellectual capabilities.

And the only other female character we see? A cold hearted *itch who is successful in her career, but unable to feel any empathy. Two incredibly sexist stereotypes about women right from the start.

Having said that, we are talking about a preview, (although it is 6 minutes long) so the final product might not give the same impression.

Edited by The47th
  • Like 1

Supergirl character must suck really hard then

There's a difference between girly and sexist. Gilmore Girls, Ugly Betty (the US version), Younger...are girly shows, but their essence is far from sexist. Only 1:30 minutes into the trailer and we have seen that Kara is completely worthless in front of a cute guy, and we have met two potential love interests already. That's the first impression they wanted to give us about the protagonist, how she interacts with men, before seeing any of her powers or intellectual capabilities.

And the only other female character we see? A cold hearted *itch who is successful in her career, but unable to feel any empathy. Two incredibly sexist stereotypes about women right from the start.

Having said that, we are talking about a preview, (although it is 6 minutes long) so the final product might not give the same impression.

She is pretty assertive about not wearing the raunchy outfit with the white dude. So hardly "completely worthless". And the sister seems to be a more balanced character than the boss. So these seem to be selective observations seeing how you completely overlooked the sister's existence even though she gets more footage in both trailers than the boss.

Anyways, this article is  a far more articulate answer to the knee jerk criticisms and is written by a woman: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/so-about-that-supergirl-trailer

• Like 1

I watched it and honestly I didn't expect to like it that much!!!

I was skeptic about the actress but now I'm convinced : she's really good.

James Olsen is so cool and he knew from the beginning who she was, well done :D

She told his colleague from the start about her idnetity :o

The fight reminded me of Smallville but it was more credible, with good FX, it's really an impressive show in terms of FX, the budget was clearly there :)

A fast-paced show with good characters, I'm totally convinced :D Great job CBS :)

• Like 1

All the "cliches" people are criticizing about this show are nowhere near the amount of "cliches" found in most superhero shows/movies that seem to go un-noticed.

You could call that sexism, guys are fine about clichés when it's masculine, but when these cliches are feminine they can see them more easily.

Their comments are not important anyway, this show is really refreshing, I'm tired of dark shows, some colors and life, YES! :D

• Like 1