Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

2,955 posts in this topic

Aparrenty, there are two cuts for this film :

-an Overseas One.

-an American One.

That s all I got.

7 hours ago, Jessie said:

Sorry but we all have human instincts, theres a big difference between being scared/shocked and being a dumb fuck

Yeah, sure.

http://www.retainedneonatalreflexes.com.au/reflexes/reflexes-fear-paralysis-reflex/

http://theconversation.com/paralysed-with-fear-why-do-we-freeze-when-frightened-60543

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201405/neuroscientists-discover-the-roots-fear-evoked-freezing

But I guess this whole science mumbo-jumbo doesn't mean shit to a tough guy like you.

Edited by incognitoo
3 people like this

The IFC Channel is showing ALIEN now and ALIENS at 7PM, Followed by ALIEN III at 9:30PM... :popcorn:

1 person likes this

Seems like this franchise is getting gradually worse. Alien was an instant classic, the best of the franchise. Aliens equally good, both A+ masterpieces. Alien 3 was a couple of levels down, still really good flick. Alien 4 is easily the most underrated film of the franchise, a wee bit below A3. Prometheus was meh. Covenant is just awful apart from some entertaining moments.

Seeing this in IMAX in just a bit. Hoping it's a lot better then Prometheus...I revisited that last night and out of all the times I've seen it through the years, I probably liked it the least. At first I was like, this is better then I remember and then it nosedives when Idris Elba leaves his station to go with Weylands daughter. Bad writing decisions continue to bring it down from there.

Awesome score though.

Keeping expectations in check but still a lot more excited for this one then Guardians.

Just got home after seeing this, will post a more in depth review later when I have all my thoughts together. For now, all I'll say is that it's definitely nowhere Alien or Aliens, but at the same time it's not as bad as Alien 4 or Prometheus. It's def in the middle where it has some good parts and things going for it, but then at times can be frustrating. 

2 people like this

I know it doesn't mean much but I've been hearing good things on Facebook about this from people who have seen advanced screenings. I'm sure it's exaggerated, but someone said "best alien movie yet".

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

I know it doesn't mean much but I've been hearing good things on Facebook about this from people who have seen advanced screenings. I'm sure it's exaggerated, but someone said "best alien movie yet".

That is a factually incorrect statement. The best Alien movie is the first or second.

6 minutes ago, Robertman2 & Knuckles said:

That is a factually incorrect statement. The best Alien movie is the first or second.

Well I can't say it's factually incorrect if that's his opinion. 

I enjoyed the film but...

one of biggest things I feel Ridley Scott is trying to show us is how you get the perfect alien...the Xenomorph. There's been a lot of different ways to get a alien, in Prometheus and Covenant. In Covenant we finally see it, but are we to assume Walter figured out how? How did he know you need a facehugger in the egg? This is where is disconnected and feel like I missed something.

Edited by Cookson

did Australia do 3 Million or 4 Million OW.  The official number seems to be 3, but I keep seeing other things that say it is 4.

23 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

When do we get estimates?

Not till morning, but I'm predicting around 3.5M

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

How come this one says 4 million??

It's in Australian currency. The OW was ~roughly~ 3M in USD, hence why you've seen both.

1 person likes this

I got dragged to this tonight by the gang.  Really basic stuff.

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Not till morning, but I'm predicting around 3.5M

Damn. This is a big event movie, what is Deadline doing?

Oh well, thank you.