Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

• Community Manager
27 minutes ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

Is there a movie in 2017 and beyond that doesn't have a sequel or isn't considered for a sequel??? That's how Hollywood makes it's $$$$$$

Yeah plenty actually. Nobody likes talking about them anymore sadly.

• Like 1

Problem with Alien movies are that all sequels are compared to the 1-2 punch of the originals which are pretty much perfect.

Same stuff happen's with the T1 and T2 and the sequels after that. Hard to compete.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Amy Seimetz got pretty damn close, but overall, they weren't quite as dumb.

Spoiler

Oram was a dumb motherfucker for letting David lure him in though. At least he has stupider acts earlier on that support him being a sad sack of shit :lol: 

Just got back from seeing it. Overall I thought it was ok. There were parts that I liked and some that I thought were just ok. 

I didnt think the characters were dumb per say, but just that Scott had them doing some very obvious horror tropes/cliches. 

Also, there wasn't a single thing that happens that both my son and I didn't see coming; especially at the very end. So, there was nothing really surprising about the movie as a whole. 

I did think it was a very good looking movie. 

We went to a 2 o'clock showing and, including us, there was maybe 10-12 people in the theater. I thought there would be much more than that. 

13 hours ago, Elessar said:

You know, it's just sad that movies like these have a much tougher time finding its audience when pretty much every generic comic book movie gets you twice or in many cases thrice the return. I want more of the former, less of the latter.

Just something i need to get off my chest. Every once in a while...

Agreed. So much so that it's like "Alright, so we're doing this again?"...."Well I guess it will be fun"

In Prometheus there's no buildup to characters doing dumb things. They just suddenly do dumb things.

In A:C there's context to people doing dumb things. 

Spoiler

With the idea of them being married couples. However, the actual idea of them being married couples is kind of stupid. It's purely there as a plot device to create conflict between their duty to the ship and wanting to keep their partner safe. 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ACSlater said:

Problem with Alien movies are that all sequels are compared to the 1-2 punch of the originals which are pretty much perfect.

Same stuff happen's with the T1 and T2 and the sequels after that. Hard to compete.

The problem (for me) isn't that Alien: Covenant and Prometheus aren't masterpieces. Very few sequels can be hailed as being masterpieces compared to their predecessors. So I don't expect them to match the level of those films.

What I wanted was a smartly made film. That wasn't what I got when I saw it on Thursday night. It has very noticeable problems. Decent popcorn flick, but the characters in this, I had very little attachment to.

Edited by NoobSaibot

Soooo, that was different than I expected based on what people were saying. Actually a bit more in line with what I wanted, but the horror aspects fell pretty flat. Just too much thrown against the wall, which doesn't work well for this franchise unless you're James Cameron. Still think it would've been better staying truer in tone to Prometheus and delving further into some of the questions posed in that. And yeah, the bulk of the characters in this are total idiots, and I wasn't even that bothered by the idiotic character complaints in Prometheus. 

Spoiler

So basically Prometheus was advertised as NOT AN ALIEN PREQUEL, but it actually was, and now Alien Covenant was advertised as NOT A PROMETHEUS SEQUEL, but it actually was. Lol, no wonder these movies don't get good legs, misleading marketing FTL. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

Seen this today and I've got to admit they really need to consider not making these movies anymore they are pretty much carbon copies of the previous one with a different set of cast members and same story beats. I was there sitting down watching this and saying to myself I've seen this before with Prometheus why am I watching this again? You can almost at this point predict what will happen next and to which characters.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Seen this today and I've got to admit they really need to consider not making these movies anymore they are pretty much carbon copies of the previous one with a different set of cast members and same story beats. I was there sitting down watching this and saying to myself I've seen this before with Prometheus why am I watching this again? You can almost at this point predict what will happen next and to which characters.

Yeah, the first act in particular was a gigantic waste of time. Having the slow buildup in something like Alien served a purpose, since it was building the suspense. Repeating it here was just boring and pointless. Would have been perfectly fine missing the first 30-40 minutes. 

• Like 3

Damn... that was kind of shitty/a letdown.  Prometheus was better imo.  Wasn't scared or even on the edge of my seat once.  Completely predictable "twists".  Some of the characters were def on prometheus level dumb.  IDK, just nothing there for me except some good action towards the end of the movie.  I liked Life a LOT better.  

• Like 3

From what I'm seeing, WOM is toxic OS, it is having brutal drops around the world, and it seems DOM is following this too. I've never seen a case where public disagreed so much on Critics' opinion about a blockbuster as in this one. Actually, I still don't get how the hell this movie got good reviews at all. With a WW total that will be between $220m-$240m, I wonder if we're going to see a sequel?