Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

2,955 posts in this topic

The "it's too much of a Prometheus sequel!" comments make me more excited. I'm sure there's enough Xeno action and horror for me.

14 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Lol the fans of this franchise don't know what they want. They expect some A grade masterpiece in today's day and age from a franchise that was never meant to be more than a B grade one with thrills and blood. Alien got horrible reviews and extremely mixed reaction from audience back in the day. It wasn't considered a cult classic until time passed and Aliens made alien a must see. 

:wintf:

LOL NOPE

3 people like this

Believe it if you want or not, but in an interview in a french movie magazine (so no internet link to give you any receipts, sorry), at the time of the release of Prometheus, Scott admitted that he was drinking a lot during the making of that movie.

It s not like the giant making of the movie on the Blu-ray doesn't show a director who changes his mind on a day to day basis (all SFX & VFX artists  who worked on the film said so too, about how Scott would change things constantly, drastic changes I mean, not the skin color of the Alien or something), not knowing where he was going at all, doing things without any rhyme or reason.

Prometheus and AC are way too ambitious for their own good and Ridley, with his constant revisionism on Blade Runner has been convinced by cinephiles & critics has was a genius, which led him into thinking he could science the shit out of the sci-fi themes of these two movies with ease.

My conclusion is Ridley Scott suffers a serious  case of George Lucas syndrome, meaning he is an all too powerful & respected and admired Artist who has lost the plot for about 10 years, some say more, that nobody will confront ever on anything because, well, he is Ridley Scott, who do you think you are, Camera Operator B, screenwriter from Draft 8 ?

Edited by The Futurist
1 person likes this

Ridley Scott's sci-fi thriller Alien: Covenant flew to $4.2 million in Thursday-evening previews before opening everywhere Friday morning in North America.

The marketing for this has been outstanding. Especially it's an R-rated sci fi, Fox still pulled out all the stops.

- Good early viral campaign

- 2 effective trailers

- They have blitzed TV with spots. The NBA Playoffs, NHL Playoffs, prime time. Every time you change the channel there's an Alien spot.

- Promotional appearances on GMA, Fallon, etc. They even brought a Xenomorph onto James Corbin to do a skit.

- RT had a funny bit where a facehugger interviewed the cast.

- They also blitzed social media. Spotify presence, heavy Youtube presence, and they created an Alien Snapchat filter. I was asked about it from GA: "that Alien filter is creepy!"

- While those hashtags ended up being hilariously used for politics, it was still a good idea for Fox. And those gif emojis they created for it were pretty cute.

- Some other stuff.

The went all out for a movie that has been doubtful to open above $50M. Easily their best campaign since Deadpool. "Fox can't market."

4 people like this

34 minutes ago, jandrew said:

The marketing for this has been outstanding. Especially it's an R-rated sci fi, Fox still pulled out all the stops.

- Good early viral campaign

- 2 effective trailers

- They have blitzed TV with spots. The NBA Playoffs, NHL Playoffs, prime time. Every time you change the channel there's an Alien spot.

- Promotional appearances on GMA, Fallon, etc. They even brought a Xenomorph onto James Corbin to do a skit.

- RT had a funny bit where a facehugger interviewed the cast.

- They also blitzed social media. Spotify presence, heavy Youtube presence, and they created an Alien Snapchat filter. I was asked about it from GA: "that Alien filter is creepy!"

- While those hashtags ended up being hilariously used for politics, it was still a good idea for Fox. And those gif emojis they created for it were pretty cute.

- Some other stuff.

The went all out for a movie that has been doubtful to open above $50M. Easily their best campaign since Deadpool. "Fox can't market."

I feel they made a big mistake by pushing up the release date. Would have done better in August.

1 person likes this

my friend, who watched the Alien films on my recommendation, loved Aliens but thought Alien was "boring"

1 person likes this

Sampling various opinion online, it seems Ridley Scott managed to make a film just as divisive as Prometheus.  It's kind of fascinating to see.

Edited by MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

my friend, who watched the Alien films on my recommendation, loved Aliens but thought Alien was "boring"

I can understand that if you've never seen any of the movies, ALIEN does come across as slow with buildup along the way, while ALIENS is just flat out action 90% of the movie..

The problem is this movie is like a side story.  Director Ridley Scott is planning a movie of what happened after Prometheus and before Covenant.

9 minutes ago, Klingo said:

Director Ridley Scott is planning a movie of what happened after Prometheus and before Covenant.

No, he doesn't. He lies every time he says something in interviews. If he directs next Alien after Covenant, it will be a sequel with David.

People trying to compare these to Alien and Aliens are just setting themselves up for disappointment...

2 people like this

Loved It Very Much.  That Ending, Wow.  Michael Fassbender performance was even better than "Prometheus".   I was scared it wasn't going to be a "Prometheus" Sequel and it really was.   The marathon I did this week made the experience even more enjoyable because you see the connectivity of all the films.   Ridley had homages to the Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 in this film.   I think the Prologue should of been left in the film as well.   Can't wait for "Awakening".  Ridely needs to hurry and do it so it can drop on the 40th Anniversary of "Alien in 2019.   As for number prospects, I just hoping for it to match "Prometheus' maybe pass it worldwide. 

Edited by filmscholar

Saw AC today and was ... disappointed. Viewed like a retread/compilation of bits and pieces of prior Alien films, and other space-monster movies more generally.

Sadly, seems like Scott took the criticism of Prometheus's alleged opaqueness too seriously, and from scene one makes sure he spells out everything and connects all the dots such that any 5-year old won't feel mystified by anything. And worst of all, the alien attack sequences lack suspense and terror.

322/1000. 

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Updated predicts:

OW: 44M

DOM: 132M

WW: 447M

Clearly, you didn't see its opening numbers across many territories last weekend.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The "it's too much of a Prometheus sequel!" comments make me more excited. I'm sure there's enough Xeno action and horror for me.

No, it was quite boring for the Shay.

Compared to similar movies - it is solid and holds relatively well for 1 viewing. But I have no incentive whatsoever to see it again. Very little of the creatures or vistas that you haven't seen in the trailers. And what's a good scifi without eye candy?

They should really stop making those. You hear us, Ridley? Stop!!

Alien 2 - even 3 and 4 - were good and somehow fresh, for their time at least. This time is long gone. The Aliens are but a bore now. This won't make much money.

2 hours ago, Cookson said:

People trying to compare these to Alien and Aliens are just setting themselves up for disappointment...

Yeah, I don't care about the original - but Aliens is indeed brilliant action.

While this here is NO action at all, just one or two action scenes.

Edited by shayhiri

I have to be honest...I like the PREDATOR creature more than ALIEN. ALIEN is just an overgrown penis with fangs.

1. James Cameron

2. David Fincher

3. Jean-Pierre Jeunet

4. Ridley Scott

1 person likes this