Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

5 minutes ago, Macleod said:

This statement is confusing. 

I meant by that, with is last 2 movie Blomkamp maybe lost is big budget greenlight power, the studio will not go with is movie simply because they have the chance of doing a Blomkamp movie, but I don't think they will cancel a movie because he is the one attach or change him either, he still have a not bad overall (and a profitable overall track record).

3 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Easiest complaint Its all supposed to be couples yet we don't even know who the fuck is married to who, until they are dying. The characters are all lack-luser and have basically no real motivation.

The movie basically only asks you to care and recognize a few people save for Walter and David:

Daniels

Tennessee and his wife

Oram and his wife

Everyone else was so throwaway. I'm surprised Demian Bichir didn't get more to do.

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The movie basically only asks you to care and recognize a few people save for Walter and David:

Daniels

Tennessee and his wife

Oram and his wife

Everyone else was so throwaway. I'm surprised Demian Bichir didn't get more to do.

Daniels is boring, whats her arc? Ok her husband died, yet from moment 1 shes back to work, she's the smart sane one the whole time, she doest grow or learn anything. Ripley in aliens, no one believed her, the company was trying to kill her, she was trying to saving Nwet, she was the only one who really came there to and wasn't going to leave until she killed them all. 

Tennessee and his wife, didnt know they were married until they were separated already. His character doesnt change after his wife dies, why not go crazy, or off the rails, no characters seemed to really disagree on any moral levels with each other once the 2nd act started. 

Same with Oram, people don't like him in the opening but later on I don't get that sense, do people rally against them? Do people not want to save him? don't care if he dies? Does he go crazy? By crazy I don't mean insane but become the worst versions of themselves?

The rest yeah, no idea who anyone was and who was dating who. didnt even know Bichirs chapter was gay until he was crying over his dead body. 

• Like 1

This movie has a GREAT ending!!! That scene where John Cena punches through the wall and says YOU CAN'T SEE ME MUTHAFUCKA and kills the Xenomorph with Attitude Adjustment is the greatest thing in cinema history!!! I will watch this movie at least 50 more times!!!

Incompetent filmmaking and storytelling getting refused by audiences.

What a schocking development.

LOL BO charts tell another story..

At this point, out of the X-Men films, Michael Fassbender 's presence in a film is as toxic and lethal as xenomoph s blood.

Ridley Scott was very wise 

These jokes are getting lazy,tbh. I get that you don't like the direction taken by Scott but,funnily enough,without his "toxic presence" this movie wouldn't have had the reviews it got.  Waterston was actually the "face" of the movie,if we -seriously- want to complain about marketing and BO draws,which doesn't even make sense to begin with.  

9 hours ago, dudalb said:

Sorry, but Blomkamp has not had a good batting average lately either.

He has had two box office and critical duds in a row. He is now in danger of being in the One Hit Wonder territory.

At least Ridley Scott can boast of a huge box office and critical hit recently with "The Martian".

No doubt that "Prometheus" did hurt "Covenent" at the box office. Best Fox can hope for is a modest profit on it's investment.

I don't think that's the reason,or the main reason. Deadline's analysis is spot on. You've the franchise fans who are going to see it in any case. We can assume the same for those who're interested in this genre. But there's definitely confusion for the casual moviegoer. This opening is obviously underwhelming,but I've never expected much more than 40M in the first place. Prometheus was really an exception. It was treated as an event and the fact that it was promoted as an original sci-fi thriller appealed to a wider audience. 

Edited by Noah

The movie itself wasn't terrible (it wasn't good either), but the characters, wow. Easily take the cake for the biggest, most idiotic morons ever to set foot on a spaceship/alien planet... I actually wondered at times if I were watching a Prometheus parody. That says it all...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Noah said:

These jokes are getting lazy,tbh. I get that you don't like the direction taken by Scott but,funnily enough,without his "toxic presence" this movie wouldn't have had the reviews it got.  Waterston was actually the "face" of the movie,if we -seriously- want to complain about marketing and BO draws,which doesn't even make sense to begin with.  

I don't think that's the reason,or the main reason. Deadline's analysis is spot on. You've the franchise fans who are going to see it in any case. We can assume the same for those who're interested in this genre. But there's definitely confusion for the casual moviegoer. This opening is obviously underwhelming,but I've never expected much more than 40M in the first place. Prometheus was really an exception. It was treated as an event and the fact that it was promoted as an original sci-fi thriller appealed to a wider audience. 

I'm with you on this. People who equate box-office for quality are really immature. BS-movie after BS-movie makes over a Billion $$$ worldwide, while great films struggle to make less than $100M worldwide (Sicario, Hell or High Water, There Will Be Blood, The Hurt Locker) 

Also, people shitting on Fassbender? Whaaaaaaaa? He is easily one of the best actors in the world today and was the best thing in both recent Alien movies (along with the beautiful cinematography and visuals) 

The problem for Covenant is that the GA only has a vague and/or confused knowledge about the Alien franchise. There may have been many films in this series, but they are spread apart over several decades. Let's face it, only movie nerds would get all the references and nuances in Covenant, everyone else must have been perplexed and bemused. 

Prometheus did much better than Covenant, because that movie was very successfully promoted as new sci-fi event. Also, those trailers with that cool music created massive buzz and anticipation, something that Covenant could not replicate in its own marketing campaign. 

A potential course of action for the future of this franchise, would possibly be going mid-budget (around Deadpool budget) and not trying to sell this to the GA. Focus on the deep themes and bodily/sexual horror that constitute the reason why so many film lovers hold the Alien franchise so dear. At least satisfy the nerd segment of the audience, the critics and maybe some of the GA will follow. 

16 hours ago, Noah said:

In the end, it is the casual audience that makes hits. You might have a modest success with a film that only appeals to the fanbase (if you keep the budget low enough) but for the kind of hit that Fox obviously wanted you needed the casual audience. They did not get it with "Convenent".

The whole Blomkapf Alien film buzz was right after "District 9", when Blomkapf was the Next Big Thing. But two underperforming films in a row...and "Chappie" did not even break even....have taken the bloom off the Blomkapf rose. Fox will not pick him if they decide a rescue mission is needed for the Alien Franchise.

I wonder if Scott really does not care about the Alien franchise anymore; he just makes sloppy  mistake after sloppy mistake he does not make with his other films.