Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

Way to go Ridley Scott.  You did what Paul WS Anderson never could.  You've destroyed the Alien franchise! ;)

All joking aside, it's not surprising.  It's like people forgot that Prometheus got a bad reception.  This movie didn't fix any of Prometheus' problems and only ruined the canon of the Alien series and gave us explanations we never wanted to know.  

I hope we stop seeing crappy Alien prequels now.  I don't want to learn that David was the space jockey on the Derelict.

I don't Think Ridley's even is intrested in the Alien-franchise. The Prometheus saga is what he's intrested in, and you really could feel how much he didn't even bother about the Alien parts in Covenant. But if the Movie was just covenant he wouldn't get the $$$ he needed to make this truly facinating and 70% totally awesome movie. It's like he gave the studio the long finger for wanting him to add Alien to the Covenant. This Movie would have been a solid A.

This film gave me a new appreciation for Prometheus (which I was not a huge fan of).  At least that film had atmosphere and stunning visuals.

If Prometheus felt like a passion project for Ridley Scott, Covenant feels like a contractual obligation.  (I know it was not.)  

Brings nothing at all new to the Alien franchise, and presents the familiar stuff in bland ways, IMO.  Not exciting.  Not tense.  Not scary.  Not thought-provoking.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tele Came Back said:

What additional answers do we need?

? Maybe these questions that he asked at Prometheus? Who are the engineers? How's their society? Why they created humanity? Why they wanted to destroy us? Why they gave us a map if they hate us? You know, basic things that were not answered by this movie.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 1

In the midst of this maelström of sheer inanity navel-gazing at its own delusion of grandeur pontificating onto the engines of Creation like a College dropout stoner with a Nolanite sledgehammer, what I couldn't shake off is that overall visual poverty of Engineers planet's depiction squandering (when not outright taking a dump onto) Giger's legacy which is the DNA of this saga that made it stand out of the B-movies slump whether Ridley Scott likes it or not. Scott acts like a gravedigger that sadistically purges every single fascinating aspect of Giger's creation that remains through since this whole prequel-itis burial mess started.

Basically, the planet is New Zealand, Engineer's city is like an overblown Pompei revisitation after Vesuve's eruption like something out of Gladiator or Exodus. The neomorph or whatever that albino pixel blob was, basically exhibits no striking features like Monster Of The Week #14567. (It's literally David's hubris fiddling around as Dr Moreau making random Alien Knockups so that reinforces the blandness of the design barely connected to the classic Alien.As a matter of fact, the irony at play behind the scenes is staggering).

This goes to show how unique Giger's output and visual style was, none of the production designers can come up with something as visually majestic but deeply unsettling on a Freudian level and striking in its sinister otherwordly-ness as the Derelict's first exploration in Alien. (I was laughing at

David's doodles that look like some Deviant Art's Giger wannabe trying to emulate something bio-mechanical to no avail, it just looks derivative and uninspired. The dreaded Alien Resurrection's failed clones "museum" was more shocking in its body horror display and legitimately painful to watch than this fanboyish attempt at being Giger-esque.

. Everything about this movie is utterly forgettable and derivative. That's a sin for a series that is known because of the visual uniqueness of its universe and its peculiar atmosphere.

I have a Giger's artbook and marvel at his alien landscapes then lament the missing opportunity:

137db064c7630454884b5051a83e157d.jpg

P-008_HommageBoecklin_1024x1024.jpg

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Blomkamp now being like "Fuck you bitches at Fox 70% 2nd wkdn drop that's what you deserve for not letting me direct the Alien movie!"

Blomkamp should've stuck to his promise that he will never work with Fox again.

Scott also lied about there never being a script for his film.

Edited by UTJeff

16 hours ago, UTJeff said:

I feel that Ridley Scott ruined the majesty of Giger's design artwork with his reveals for the Space Jockey and the Xenomorphs dashrendar44.  Do you agree?

That kinda pinpoints the crux of this hazardous endeavour. Giger came up with this design, some dead lovecraftian creature wielded in his chair apparatus like an astronome fused to his telescope when flesh and machine are intricately one. (And yeah, it was an armored skeleton in Giger's mind). Then you have, Scott that dumbed down the whole thing retrofitting it thanks to his narrow imagination and demystification endeavour shooting down the otherwordly aspect for a very earthly interpretation (Alien's impact was the fact we couldn't grasp and comprehend things way bigger than our realm of existence. What we witness feels like a unsettling cognitive vertigo scaring the shit out of us), it's just a costume for a very humanoid creature inside that happens to be Mankind's creator, judge and executioner. Geez Louise.

And I really find Scott's obsession with mankind's origin to be a tad ethnocentrically repellant at its core. Yeah, humanity couldn't have been born in Africa, that's too hard to stomach for a old british geezer raised in the glory of british colonialism, it got to be a giant pasty white bodybuilder from space with eugenics kink that impregnated an Iceland waterfall in northern Europe with magical goo... (And don't get me started with Wagner as the creative epitome of cultural perfection. Leni Riefenstahl would be delighted).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

On 5/29/2017 at 7:07 AM, dashrendar44 said:

That kinda pinpoints the crux of this hazardous endeavour. Giger came up with this design, some dead lovecraftian creature wielded in his chair apparatus like an astronome fused to his telescope when flesh and machine are intricately one. (And yeah, it was an armored skeleton in Giger's mind). Then you have, Scott that dumbed down the whole thing retrofitting it thanks to his narrow imagination and demystification endeavour shooting down the otherwordly aspect for a very earthly interpretation (Alien's impact was the fact we couldn't grasp and comprehend things way bigger than our realm of existence. What we witness feels like a unsettling cognitive vertigo scaring the shit out of us), it's just a costume for a very humanoid creature inside that happens to be Mankind's creator, judge and executioner. Geez Louise.

And I really find Scott's obsession with mankind's origin to be a tad ethnocentrically repellant at its core. Yeah, humanity couldn't have been born in Africa, that's too hard to stomach for a old british geezer raised in the glory of british colonialism, it got to be a giant pasty white bodybuilder from space with eugenics kink that impregnated an Iceland waterfall in northern Europe with magical goo... (And don't get me started with Wagner as the creative epitome of cultural perfection. Leni Riefenstahl would be delighted).

To me the beauty of something like the Space Jockey or the Xenomorphs is that they are "alien" in every sense of the word.  A creature like the Space Jockey is not like anything that we can think up or imagine.  It's something beyond human comprehension.  Giving them this relatively simple explanation and backstory is as you would say repellant. Watching the original Alien, the Space Jockey didn't look like a creature that would've been just some big precursor humanoid wearing a simple set of armor or a flight suit.  In fact, it didn't look like it have legs at all.  The surface where it's chair was doesn't even look like a surface meant to be walked on.  The hallways of the derelict didn't look big enough for it to walk through either. 

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:50 PM, vc2002 said:

Blomkamp now being like "Fuck you bitches at Fox 70% 2nd wkdn drop that's what you deserve for not letting me direct the Alien movie!"

Blomkamp should talk."Chappie" was such a huge hit.........

On 2017-05-28 at 11:12 PM, Mockingjay Raphael said:

? Maybe these questions that he asked at Prometheus? Who are the engineers? How's their society? Why they created humanity? Why they wanted to destroy us? Why they gave us a map if they hate us? You know, basic things that were not answered by this movie.

This need of constantly being spoon-fed answers is troubling. How about letting your imagination do some of the work?

• Like 2