Hernan Gonzalez

Minions OS Thread | 1 BILLION WW CROSSED!! | 6m weekend | $811.4m OS total

OS actuals are in and Minions added around 700K more.

MINIONS
Minions continues to prove you can’t keep a good henchman down. The frisky little fellows added a final $38.9M this frame for an international total of $567.9M. Combined with the domestic total of $287.6M, the worldwide cume is $855.5M. The Universal/Illumination Entertainment spin-off has passedShrek The Third to become the 9th biggest animated film of all time worldwide — and there are still five more territories to open, including China on September 13. It’s gaining on Ice Age: Continental Driftat No. 8 with $880M. Abroad, Stuart, Kevin and Bob have passed The Lion King to take the No. 6 slot on the all-time animated chart and will next take on Gru, theirDespicable Me 2 master who currently sits at No. 5 with $607.5M in No. 5.

Minions‘ new markets this week included Japan where it opened No. 2 behind local title Attack On Titan. With $6M at 330 dates, it was 60% bigger than DM2’s bow. The start in Korea was good for No. 3 behind Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation and local holdover smash The Assassination. With $6.4M at 322 dates, it has already out-grossed the lifetime of DM2. In a wild hold, Germany has kept Kyle Balda and Pierre Coffin’s critters at No. 1 for the 5th week in a row. The 32-day tally is $49.2M. What’s more, this is the 17th time Universal has been No. 1 in the robust market this year. Argentina is also making it a 5th frame at No. 1 with $33.6M in 32 days withMinions the top movie ever in the market.

The animated yellow fellows are also No. 1 for the fifth week in a row in Austria and Switzerland and No. 1 for the fourth week in a row in Belgium and the Latin America countries of Bolivia, Chile, and Venezuela. In Hungary, Minions is No. 1 for the fourth week and now ranks as Universal’s highest film of all time in that country. Today, it becomes the second highest grossing film of all time, only behind James Cameron’sAvatar.

It has five more countries in its international play with Italy on Aug. 27th and China on Sept. 13th.

• Like 2

From The Wrap:

Universal is poised to top $5.5 billion in worldwide grosses in roughly a week, obliterating a studio record set last year by 20th Century Fox — and it’s doing so just with nearly five months of releases still to come.

In addition, the studio’s animated hit with Illumination Entertainment, “Minions,” should top $1 billion soon after its Sept. 13 debut in China, becoming the third Universal release this year to achieve that milestone — a feat no other studio has managed.

As of Sunday, “Minions” has taken in $855 million at the global box office, with $567 million coming from abroad and $287 million domestically.

• Like 5

My country-by-country projections for this week are coming up shortly! 

Updated as per last week's performance in each country case by case.

Am just waiting for the official France figures from last week as they're not officially ready yet.

• Like 1

From The Wrap:

Universal is poised to top $5.5 billion in worldwide grosses in roughly a week, obliterating a studio record set last year by 20th Century Fox — and it’s doing so just with nearly five months of releases still to come.

In addition, the studio’s animated hit with Illumination Entertainment, “Minions,” should top $1 billion soon after its Sept. 13 debut in China, becoming the third Universal release this year to achieve that milestone — a feat no other studio has managed.

As of Sunday, “Minions” has taken in $855 million at the global box office, with $567 million coming from abroad and $287 million domestically.

Press Release today that Uni has grossed 5.53b WW

extract

UNIVERSAL CITY, CA, August 5, 2015—Universal Pictures today announced that the studio has grossed $5.53 billion, marking the highest-grossing year ever for a studio in industry history.  In just seven months, Universal bested the record previously held by 20th Century Fox which ended 2014 with $5.52 billion.  To date, Universal has grossed $3.59 billion internationally and $1.94 billion domestically and is poised to cross $2 billion at the North American box office later this month.  The announcement was made by Jeff Shell, Chairman, Universal Filmed Entertainment Group and Donna Langley, Chairman, Universal Pictures. 

• Like 3

EDIT: posted the re-formatted table.

Hi guys, here are the updated country by country projections for Minions OS and WW! (as of August 6, 2015)

These projections are based on last week's OS performance for the film in each country case by case.
The most interesting (and challenging) markets to project at the moment are Japan and South Korea as the range of these markets could go low end or high end. You will notice I lowered some markets and increased others based on the % of their drops in the past 3 weeks. I've also benefited from your projections you gave me throughout this week, so thanks to Industrious, Lawrence, Kylin, Tower, Henry Loves Dinos, Boxx93, Rysu and juni78ukr for their frequent updates. 
Would love your input as always:) Let me know if there are markets which are over/under-estimated. If anyone faces a problem with seeing the pic, let me know. 
0YSRc5P.png
Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 3

Hi guys, here are the updated country by country projections for Minions OS and WW! (as of August 6, 2015)

These projections are based on last week's OS performance for the film in each country case by case.
The most interesting (and challenging) markets to project at the moment are Japan and South Korea as the range of these markets could go low end or high end. You will notice I lowered some markets and increased others based on the % of their drops in the past 3 weeks. I've also benefited from your projections you gave me throughout this week, so thanks to Industrious, Lawrence, Kylin, Tower, Henry Loves Dinos, Boxx93, Rysu and juni78ukr for their frequent updates. 
Would love your input as always:) Let me know if there are markets which are over/under-estimated. If anyone faces a problem with seeing the pic, let me know. 

MSJUvbG.png

Something seems to be wrong with the table, so far you had it with two columns, current and projected totals, but now you just see one with the other going off screen. Also some of the markets listed as upcoming have already opened and already have a total.

Something seems to be wrong with the table, so far you had it with two columns, current and projected totals, but now you just see one with the other going off screen. Also some of the markets listed as upcoming have already opened and already have a total.

Thanks Tower, posted the re-formatted table. The recent markets (Peru, Portugal, Japan and SK) are in section 2 (recent and upcoming markets).