grim22

The Greatest Showman | PT Barnum Biopic starring Hugh Jackman. Fox releasing. Christmas 2017

Here are my quick thoughts on this film: 

I am a huge Jackman fan. I'll pretty much watch anything with him in it. On his own Jackman is a phenomenal showman in his own right. And if you told me he was playing Barnum in an authentic representation of that old con artist, I would be 100% there on opening day. But I'm not here for this bull shit film that wants to portray Barnum as anything but the man he was. I’m not interested in some made-up fantasy where Barnum is a hero to the outcasts. Barnum and his circus taught generations of people to stare and laugh at anyone who differed from the norm. This movie appears to be dressing that up in an empowerment fable which is gross in my opinion.

I love Hugh and well Zendaya is simply looking like a queen in this so I’m going to sit through this stupid fake story of one of history’s rottenest "showmen" just for her and Hugh....but ill catch it on discount Tuesday or maybe once it hits home video instead of opening day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just think the song in the trailer is so awful and unpleasant. I'm a huge fan of musicals and will give almost any of them a shot as long as the music is good. But this just sounds awful to me. If that's the best song from the movie, then I'll be sitting this one out.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2017 at 5:40 PM, Nova said:

I am a huge Jackman fan. I'll pretty much watch anything with him in it. On his own Jackman is a phenomenal showman in his own right. And if you told me he was playing Barnum in an authentic representation of that old con artist, I would be 100% there on opening day. But I'm not here for this bull shit film that wants to portray Barnum as anything but the man he was. I’m not interested in some made-up fantasy where Barnum is a hero to the outcasts. Barnum and his circus taught generations of people to stare and laugh at anyone who differed from the norm. This movie appears to be dressing that up in an empowerment fable which is gross in my opinion.

I love Hugh and well Zendaya is simply looking like a queen in this so I’m going to sit through this stupid fake story of one of history’s rottenest "showmen" just for her and Hugh....but ill catch it on discount Tuesday or maybe once it hits home video instead of opening day. 

I like Jackman well enough, and I have become a fan of Zendaya, but this whole PT-Barnum-In-Name-Alone fiasco makes me wish that they had actually come up with a  fictional story about a P. T. Barnum-like figure who indeed wanted to champion the outcasts and lift them up. Sort of like an anti-Barnum. I love stories set in the circus (I don't know...I find them enthralling) and this cast makes me swoon. Too bad that the narrative around the real PTB will not help the film at all (I think).

1 minute ago, nomyth said:

I just think the song in the trailer is so awful and unpleasant. I'm a huge fan of musicals and will give almost any of them a shot as long as the music is good. But this just sounds awful to me. If that's the best song from the movie, then I'll be sitting this one out.

Oddly enough, I loved the song from the first moment I listened to it.

16 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Oddly enough, I loved the song from the first moment I listened to it.

Most people I know who have seen the trailer don't dislike the song as much as I do, so I may be in the minority. But there's just something about it melodically and production wise that I, personally, can't stand. Plus I can't for the life of me figure out why they wouldn't feature Hugh singing in the movie. He's got such a great voice and, I think, after Les Mis he has a very recognizable singing voice. I hope trailer 2 sells me on the music more.

24 minutes ago, nomyth said:

it's so "muzak" that at first i thought it was just a generic trailer song. i didn't expect it to the centerpiece track of the actual musical like it seems to be. it's so bad.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

This is going to be the topic of so many thinkpieces in the fall. PT Barnum was piece of crap and their whitewashing of it in this movie is so strange. He didn't encourage people to be 'weird and different', he abused and exploited them and called them freaks to make a quick buck.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:03 AM, nomyth said:

If the music in musical is bad, it's game over ,baby.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, Nova said:

I like Jackman but he might have another "Pan" with this.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:43 AM, TalismanRing said:

It's not a unique or new interpretation of Barnum.   The theater musical Barnum from the 1980s (Jim Dale, Michael Crawford etc) did the same, or at least showed him as much dreamer as huckster and showman - and it still gets revived. 

I have wondered why they did not just buy the rights to "Barnum". It's a good show..and from the trailer this movie ain't gonna be one.

• Like 1