baumer

Baumer's/Tele's/Chas' 25 films that have brainwashed people into mindless adulation (Tele pg 26)

You might think this sounds like another list of over rated films, and you would be wrong.  This is different than being over rated.  Over rated means that they are good but not quite as good as the public or critics will have you believe.  But being on the brainwashed list means that these films are so loved and I can't understand it.  I don't get it, don't agree with it and can't for the life of me see what all the fuss is.  I'm going to keep this to just films that are loved by the public.  If it was critical acclaim, I could probably do top 1000 films that can suck it that critics like.

I'm in the midst of compiling my list and I'll probably start it tonight.  

So get ready to have some fun.  And of course there will be some hurt feelings, because as we all know, I have terrible taste in film.   :)

Edited by baumer
  • Like 11

Lord of the Rings and Star Wars might not be the cinematic masterpieces that some think they are, but I don't think there's nothing to like about them. I'm not 100% sure what makes a movie get on this list, but I don't think baumer can hate LotR/SW even if he doesn't think they're amazing.

For me, I would have The Dark Knight on here. It's okay but there's not much special about it, people just seem to think it's amazing because of Heath Ledger's performance.

I agree on Star Wars. I'd even add The Lord of the Rings trilogy to that list and even 2001: A Space Odyssey.

BURN IN HELL, HEATHEN.

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 4

How about, all 8 Harry Potters? ;)

Not all 8. I'm a Harry Potter fan and I'm honest when I'm saying that only Prisoner of Azkaban, Chamber of Secrets, Goblet of Fire and arguably Order of the Phoenix belong on this list. Although I love Order of the Phoenix.

As for the previous comment, I really can't see what people like in Lord of the Rings. I consider that movie to be one of those movies that is unique at the time it came out and blew everybody's minds away, which brainwashes them into believing the movies are masterpieces even today, which they are not. They are extremely boring and dull.

• Like 1

I actually really enjoyed The Artist.  I can see people saying it shouldn't have won Best Picture, but as to whether its enjoyable or not, I can't see that.

However, there are plenty of movies I didn't really like.  I didn't get the huge enthusiasm for Batman Begins, for example.  Sure, its serious and basically well done, in very stark contrast to virtually all of the prior Batman movies making it look like a work of genius by comparison.  But in a vacuum, I thought it was only ok.  And while I thought Citizen Kane was a masterpiece, especially today I can see it not being to every taste.  I find 2001 interminable, and I recognize that others might feel the same way about Kane.

So, yeah, I see this turning into a bloodbath because its so idiosyncratic.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

Not all 8. I'm a Harry Potter fan and I'm honest when I'm saying that only Prisoner of Azkaban, Chamber of Secrets, Goblet of Fire and arguably Order of the Phoenix belong on this list. Although I love Order of the Phoenix.

As for the previous comment, I really can't see what people like in Lord of the Rings. I consider that movie to be one of those movies that is unique at the time it came out and blew everybody's minds away, which brainwashes them into believing the movies are masterpieces even today, which they are not. They are extremely boring and dull.

I didn't see it in cinema, It wasn't recomended to me, I just saw it on the tv when I was 12 and it blew my mind away, since then I have watched it over 50 times and never got borred. I loved this movie before I knew others loved it too. It had great acting, story line, awesome battles and one of the most beautiful worlds ever created.

But we could say, no film is beloved by everyone in the world so that means that we could say that we are brainwashed in to liking all of the films ever made.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 3

I only saw LotR for the first time a few months ago and they are really good imo. I don't think they are perfect but they were much better than I expected them to be.

Order of the Phoenix was the worst Harry Potter film. :/

And Pixar films because Baumer doesn't have a heart. ;)

I would actually put a crap ton of Disney Animation films on this list if there was room. I think most of them are pretty mediocre - they're fun and silly for kids but have no depth. Most Pixar films are overrated too. Today's animated films are miles better than any animated film Disney/Pixar has ever made. From last year alone, How to Train Your Dragon 2 and The Lego Movie are way better than old Disney films like Aladdin, The Lion King, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Bambi etc.

• Like 2