baumer

Baumer's/Tele's/Chas' 25 films that have brainwashed people into mindless adulation (Tele pg 26)

24) All Nightmare on Elm Street sequels, except New Nightmare: Wes Craven created one of the most iconic movie, not just horror, but movie characters of all time when he penned the name Fred Frueger after a bully who used to beat him up in school.  The scary thing about the film Nightmare on Elm Street is that Craven got the idea from a Japanese newspaper article where kids were dying in their sleep...and the messed up thing about it is they all knew each other.  One young teen even told his parents that he was afraid to go to sleep because of the monster in his dreams.  He never woke up the next day.  Craven made Nightmare on Elm Street scary as hell and when he finished the first, he had no idea that Robert Shaye was going to make more without him.  In the sequels, there was no more horror, it was basically Krueger doing his best Jerry Lewis impression.  Gone was the suspense and terror and  what was left was comedy and snappy one liners.  Freddy Kruger became larger than life and his films were well received by much of the public.  But they are cheap ersatz of the original without a modicum of the horror that the original had.  Krueger became a joke but for some reason, people loved him.

Interesting note that the first three sequels all increased in gross from the last.  

film-a_nightmare_on_elm_street-1984-fred

Edited by baumer
  • Like 7

Hmmm....nothing striking so far. While I love The Godfather and 12 Years A Slave, I don't quite like them as much as others do.

12YAS is not on the list.

Guys, I want to do more, but I've been up since 4AM and I'm already getting tired.  I don't want to do these half assed, so I'll continue again tomorrow.

Sorry

• Like 1

People liked the Elm Street sequels? I thought they were all pretty despised (except maybe Dream Warriors and New Nightmare).

that's how I personally feel.  I can enjoy all of them, but other than the two you mentioned, they were all pretty bad

People liked the Elm Street sequels? I thought they were all pretty despised (except maybe Dream Warriors and New Nightmare

The first four all made huge amounts of money.

• Like 1

The first four all made huge amounts of money.

yep, which is why I get why you have in on your list.  Although it's amazing #3 made anything after that atrocity known as part 2 :P

• Like 1

I promise tomorrow to get to number 15.  But I'm going to watch some hockey and football and then turn in.  Have to work early again tomorrow.

• Like 2

Do you see a sign outside that says Tele's 25 films that have braInwashed people?

And do you know what you don't see that sign?

CAUSE IT ISN'T FUCKIN THERE OKAY?

• Like 2

The Artist is the poster boy for films that people have been brainwashed into liking, I only watched it because it won Best Picture.  Now, I hate it when people shit on critics for hating on films they like, but with this film(especially since it won BP), I don't think I've ever felt such cynicism.  Why the hell would you give a black and white silent film the highest award in filmmaking when filmmaking as an art form has has evolved out of that period for the better? Black and white silent films were only made because of the technical limitations of the time.  If Baumer mentions this embodiment of Hollywood narcissism, then this thread will get my stamp of approval.  :)

• Like 4

Obviously the Transformers films brainwashed the American public into liking them, and they only started to realize after the fourth installment of the bayfest.  (Hence the giant domestic drop)

To bad the Chinese will keep the franchise alive because they are more brainwashable than Americans.  Not surprising because their government(s) have done it for thousands of years  :ph34r:

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1