Fancyarcher

American Made | 9/29/2017

I don't know about lazy but it would have been interesting to see him put on a bit of weight for this role. It have made him look more like the person it's based on and maybe helped the character stand out more compared to the look of a lot of his recent roles, plus it would have gotten a fair bit of PR too.

I really don't think it is healthy to gain weight at his age & honestly I don't want to see Fat Tom in a movie - maybe that makes me superficial but it's the truth!!

• Like 1

Just because the original guy was a fatso so what? No one really knows him. Cruise has a signature smile, so a black teeth is good enough to get the required effect.

I'm not saying it would have made a huge difference, just that it would have been nice for Cruise to have a more drastic transformation for the role. The original guy was overweight and balding so obviously changing him to a chiselled good looking version of Cruise will give a different vibe to the character.

Edited by RaidensSword

Because the character he's based on is notably overweight so it would make sense.

Didn't Clooney gain weight for Syriana around the same age? I don't know how healthy it is but superficial wise I would like to see a different side to him. Changing your appearance is part of acting imo, all Tom does these days is change his haircut.

No Clooney was younger & still hurt himself very badly - his back needed an operation.  I think acting is sufficient & dressing for the times - I don't need to see actors getting fat to believe the story - JMO

• Like 3

No Clooney was younger & still hurt himself very badly - his back needed an operation. I think acting is sufficient & dressing for the times - I don't need to see actors getting fat to believe the story - JMO

Well that injury was more of a reason to be more careful doing stunts than a reason to stop actors putting on weight, but yeah of course I understand your opinion. I'm not really talking about believing the story, Cruise is a good enough actor with or without drastic appearance changes. It's more of just wanting to see a different side to him in a serious dramatic role.

Personally for me the less action and stunts in this the better, at least where Cruise is concerned. I've had my fill of action hero Cruise over the last few years, hoping this can bring a bit more balance to his 2010s C.V.

Edited by RaidensSword
  • Like 1

I'm not saying it would have made a huge difference, just that it would have been nice for Cruise to have a more drastic transformation for the role. The original guy was overweight and balding so obviously changing him to a chiselled good looking version of Cruise will give a different vibe to the character.

if they wanted him to look really ugly then they'd have never cast Cruise. I don't really know what you were expecting, knowing that Cruise was involved.

Two people died on set today in a plane crash. Cruise was not on the plane having wrapped a scene prior in the day. A third person was seriously injured but survived. Sad news.

http://deadline.com/2015/09/two-killed-during-mina-shoot-tom-cruise-alive-1201522272/

First Resident Evil 6 and now this. Damn.

4 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

So this movie is supposed to open a week after Assassins Creed, and Passengers, and has The Dark Tower opening the week after it. Unless they anticipate some serious award nominations and wins that seems like a horrible release date.

Eh... I think we'll have to see how things play out. Assassins  Creed and The Dark Tower aren't guaranteed hits by any means

14 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Eh... I think we'll have to see how things play out. Assassins  Creed and The Dark Tower aren't guaranteed hits by any means

They both may or may no be big hits but they have built in fan bases and might take away from people who are on the fence about Mena, unless of course it has big award buzz around it then it will be alright regardless. I want to see a 30-35m opening for Mena, and 4X multiplier which can happen with good reviews and award nominations/wins.

This has not gotten any buzz although it's still several months away. When do you think we'll see the first trailer?

It's a Universal flick so maybe Warcraft or Purge 3? We would have known about it if it was Neighbors 2 methinks.  

32 minutes ago, lilmac said:

This has not gotten any buzz although it's still several months away. When do you think we'll see the first trailer?

It's a Universal flick so maybe Warcraft or Purge 3? We would have known about it if it was Neighbors 2 methinks.  

Still long time away. Im thinking the Trailer will release with Bourne

Edited by HesAPooka

4 hours ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Apparently this has been retitled American Made, and will start test-screening in a little bit. American Everything I guess.

Where'd you hear that? Can't find anything on a title chance online. 

If true it makes sense. You have Patriots day coming out in limited release the week before trying to capitalize on the same crowd as American Sniper so you have to take away its thunder somehow. Plus the automatic tie in to past drug related movie American Gangster. Makes sense to throw American in there somewhere.