Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

I don't think they would give the win to John Huston, especially since DiCaprio is overdue, but given the academy loves to snub DiCaprio I could totally see John Huston winning for The Other Side of The Wind as a post-humorous acting win.

John Huston has been dead for a while....

• Like 3

Trumbo has:

The director of Game Change

Cranston in his first lead role ala Cumberbatch in Imitation Game

John Goodluckcharmman

Mirren/Lane/CK/Fanning in a great supporting cast

A movie about a Hollywood guy facing adversity from things now considered horribly outdated and horrendous

It's Oscar bait 101, and I can't wait to see Cranston's performance

• Like 2

Trumbo has:

The director of Game Change

Cranston in his first lead role ala Cumberbatch in Imitation Game

John Goodluckcharmman

Mirren/Lane/CK/Fanning in a great supporting cast

A movie about a Hollywood guy facing adversity from things now considered horribly outdated and horrendous

It's Oscar bait 101, and I can't wait to see Cranston's performance

Yeah, add all of that up and you have a potential home run.
  • Like 2

As far as this category goes I bet Inside Out and Good Dinosaur split the votes and neither get in.

With Lego Movie's snub I've just about lost all drive to pull for any specific films at the Oscars.

Ehhh... Good Dinosaur seems way too fluffy for a BP nod.

Inside Out looks like classic Pixar. I see it being the blockbuster BP nominee if there is one. 

I will agree that the 2014 BP nods were missing some solid commercial hits. Gone Girl, LEGO Movie and GotG/Interstellar (either one) were all pretty easy blockbusters to choose. 

1. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  2. Nightcrawler 
  3. The LEGO Movie
  4. Gone Girl
  5. The Imitation Game
  6. Selma 
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy 
  8. Whiplash 
  9. Birdman 

But if LEGO Movie couldn't get one despite being the 2nd best reviewed film of 2014, Inside Out is sadly a longshot. 

Ehhh... Good Dinosaur seems way too fluffy for a BP nod.

Even if that were the case, it has the later release date so will be fresher in AMPAS' minds. And I imagine humanity's relationship with animals will be a major theme of the story so I don't believe it will be as fluffy as you think.

There's a major difference between Before Midnight to the max and The Artist 2.0

I'd consider The Other Side of the Wind the Artist to the max.  Instead of just being a nostalgic senback, it's an actually movie from a nostalgic director that never got much attention from the academy (or anyone) until after his career had mostly expired.

Not only that, it will be the 100th Anniversary of Orson Welles, I don't see how anybody else can't see how this screams Oscar attention if they actually campaign it.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

I'd rather see Inside Out win Best Picture, but I doubt any G or PG-rated animated film will accomplish that feat. Beauty and the Beast is the closest any animated film has gotten to winning the big one (I'd guess only Lambs and JFK were ahead of it. TS3 was probably 5th or 6th. Up probably 6th or 7th).

Either Inside Out or Hateful Eight - those are the two I'm rooting for. 

• Like 2

Under a unofficial rule-a film with George Clooney will be nominated this year for picture and a Black actress will win supporting. Just check every odd year since 2005 for the Clooney fact. ;)

Edited by Impact
  • Like 1

Tomorrowland? but the coens movie getting an oscar-qualifying run seems more likely.

Coens will be up for Screenplay this year already for St. James Place, if it's good. 

Tomorrowland, I expect will be one of the year's best reviews blockbusters, but it won't be nominated. Now the big-budget film that I think might have an outside chance? Crimson Peak. Sure, a horror movie getting nominated is unlikely, but it has happened before  - The Exorcist, even a winner in Silence of the Lambs - and Crimson Peak is a gothic period piece ghost story with an all-star cast. That's my dark horse.