Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

I read the Crimson Peak script a while back and found it pretty mediocre, but I also totally dismissed Gravity's chances after reading that script a couple years ago SO DON'T LISTEN TO ME.

:D

Well, clearly for this to happen, Crimson Peak has to be both excellent and a box office breakout. I just think the Academy might be more likely to bite in that case than they would for Tomorrowland. 

Coens will be up for Screenplay this year already for St. James Place, if it's good. 

Tomorrowland, I expect will be one of the year's best reviews blockbusters, but it won't be nominated. Now the big-budget film that I think might have an outside chance? Crimson Peak. Sure, a horror movie getting nominated is unlikely, but it has happened before  - The Exorcist, even a winner in Silence of the Lambs - and Crimson Peak is a gothic period piece ghost story with an all-star cast. That's my dark horse. 

The best-case scenario for Tomorrowland is MIGP average rating, imo. That's not going to be enough.

• Like 1

The best-case scenario for Tomorrowland is MIGP average rating, imo. That's not going to be enough.

Given the creative pedigree involved here, I could easily see this having a GOTG-like critical reception and breaking out at the box office. I doubt even that would be enough for the Academy to nominate a sci-fi blockbuster released on Memorial Day, though. 

Edited by Ray G
  • Like 1

If The Force Awakens delivers, I can see it having a legit shot at a BP nom. All three LotR movies got in on the same release date, as did Avatar (would it have a BP nom had it been released summer?). And, if TFA gets amazing BO, it's chances of getting a nom go up really good. 

• Like 2

If Silence is any good, good luck to the other movies. Talk about total Oscar bait. But that can backfire too if it's a mediocre film, though that seems unlikely coming from Scorsese.

The story sounds very pro-christian but Scorsese is Scorsese. Last time he did a religious movie people threw molotov cocktails inside a theatre. Maybe he won't do a straight adaptation and twist it in a way that will piss off Christians.

• Like 3

The story sounds very pro-christian but Scorsese is Scorsese. Last time he did a religious movie people threw molotov cocktails inside a theatre. Maybe he won't do a straight adaptation and twist it in a way that will piss off Christians.

The subject matter makes me doubtful it'll be a big contender either way. 

Of course, any movie could wind up disappointing, but St. James Place seems to have the best pedigree this coming year, with Trumbo not far behind. 

• Like 2

Many say ridiculous.

Riczhang says fabulous.

In the chair sitting film with Steep, the chick from Amour appears in it, what would happen then?

(Or do I really want to know?)

Edited by Impact
  • Like 1

To be fair, Streep playing an aging rock star in a film directed by Jonathan Demme and written by Diablo Cody potentially sounds like her most inspired and interesting role/project since Adaptation. Which was in 2002. (I'm not counting Fantastic Mr. Fox).

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2