kayumanggi

THE GOOD DINOSAUR | 209.1 M overseas | 332.2 M worldwide

I wouldn't say that Mockingjay and The Good Dinosaur had mixed reviews. They were mostly positive. The issue was expectations. People had got used to the Hunger Games films having actual hunger games in the movie. Since the 3rd and 4th movie didn't have any hunger games, general interest declined. In the case of TGD, the dinosaurs looked badly animated and the plot seemed too simplistic. I think that the opening weekend is rarely affected by WOM but much more by issues like the above, i.e. promotion. WOM will determine the the opening weekend-to-total gross ratio. Mockingjay already had a better second-weekend drop in NA than any other film in the franchise and we may see a good hold for TGD too (as good as post-Thanksgiving weekend drops can get). In the case of Spectre, it had the making of a billion-dollar blockbuster and I think everyone on opening weekend thought that reaching $1 billion was very likely (the result of good promotion). Three weekends later (when WOM had kicked in for good) we can all see that it really matters nowadays whether a film has good WOM, because this film clearly didn't.

Bottom line: All 3 underperformed but I think you should appreciate that they underperformed for different reasons (smaller opening vs bigger % drops).

Edited by quigquag33

1 hour ago, MinaTakla said:

Wow. Some people here were expecting 1B WW for it. And at some point I did too

Man we were all very wrong.

It just shows how IO and Minions had much better marketing for sure.

Peanuts? I hope it doesnt end up like dino

Dont see Peanuts doing great either, I'd say a total like Spongebob (153m OS) at best.

Pixar’s The Good Dinosaur crossed $100M globally in its 2nd frame after adding $19.4M offshore. The total to date on the pic that has a staggered release is $131.4M. Among significant territories not yet open are Australia, Korea, Japan and Brazil. Playing in 45 territories, Arlo and Spot have stepped out in approximately 59% of the international marketplace. The sophomore session had no major openings, but saw Latin America hold to just a 19% drop and retain the No. 1 position throughout the region. In Europe, standout holds were France and Germany, each down 25%. The UK stayed at No. 2 and South East Asia, which opened strongly last week, also experienced good holds, including Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam. Lead markets are the UK ($7.8M), Mexico ($6.7M), France ($6M), Russia ($3.8M) and Italy ($3.7M).

Source: Deadline.com

37 minutes ago, phaeton77 said:

So, "The Good Dinosaur" under $250m worldwide — epic fail for PIXAR ! (((

Not going to happen. It's looking at atleast 100M from holdovers with 2/5 of the OS markets still awaiting and a DOM total likely around 125/130M.

Disney Pixar's The Good Dinosaur posted $14.3 million in its third weekend of overseas release from 47 territories representing approximately 61% of the international marketplace. Top performing territories are UK/Ireland ($10.1M), Mexico ($8.7M), France ($8.1M), Spain ($6.0M), Italy ($5.4M), Argentina ($5.0M), Russia ($4.4M), and Germany ($3.5M). Overseas The Good Dinosaur has grossed $78.2 million and $167.8 million worldwide. 

Source: BoxOffice.com