Fullbuster

European Union Box Office : 994 million tickets sold in 2016!

Skyfall, $454.1

Ice Age 3, $385m

Ice Age 4, $283.3m

The Return of the King, $434.2m

The Hobbit, $361m

The Hobbit 2, $349.3m

Titanic, $700.7m

Frozen, $274.7m

Despicable Me 2, $236m

Iron Man 3, $192.2m

Damn, Avatar was a MONSTER in the EU, more than in the US o_o

You can say whatever you want but it's still an amazing market despite the crisis.

Damn, Avatar was a MONSTER in the EU, more than in the US o_o

You can say whatever you want but it's still an amazing market despite the crisis.

there was not crisis in 2009-2010... at least, we did not know it. $110 million in Spain. That is impossible

there was not crisis in 2009-2010... at least, we did not know it. $110 million in Spain. That is impossible

WHAT?????? Where were you living back then? In a cave? I can't believe I'm reading something like this from a guy in Spain, it's unheard!

The 2008–2014 Spanish financial crisis began in 2008 during the end of the world Financial crisis of 2007–08. In 2012 it made Spain a late participant in the European sovereign debt crisis when the country was unable to bail-out its financial sector and had to apply for a €100bn rescue package provided by the European Stability Mechanism (ESM).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9314_Spanish_financial_crisis

In 2009 Spain's GDP fell by 3.6% after a stagnation in 2008. It was a strong fall for a country which used to grow between 3-4% every year from 1998-2008.

Spain's unemployment rate rose from 13.9 percent in the fourth quarter of 2008 to 17.4 percent in the first quarter of 2009, increasing the ranks of the unemployed to more than 4 million, according to National Statistics Institute (INE) figures released on April 24. Spanish Economy Minister Elena Salgado said that the first quarter of 2009 will be the worst in terms of increasing unemployment. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) predicts that unemployment in Spain will reach 17.7 percent in 2009 and 19.3 percent in 2010, but the INE figures seem to indicate that unemployment could exceed 20 percent by the end of 2009.

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewarticle/articleid/3210130

quote name="juni78ukr" post="1875005" timestamp="1422720872"]

BOM is pretty much useless for french box office gross. They multiplyed admission numbers by average ticket price.

Actually for flash France only tracks admits GBO is estimated

Not until actuals come in they know GBO

WHAT?????? Where were you living back then? In a cave? I can't believe I'm reading something like this from a guy in Spain, it's unheard!

In 2009 Spain's GDP fell by 3.6% after a stagnation in 2008. It was a strong fall for a country which used to grow between 3-4% every year from 1998-2008.

My bad. I explained it wrong. We were in crisis for sure. It started in Sep 2008, with Lehman brothers fall. In fact I think it was promoted in Spain since 1998 because certain laws, but that is another debate... what I meant is that even with a considerable drop in employment, people still did not feel in 2009-2010 period, when Avatar was released, that we were in a black hole. People were still on the streets buying and going to the cinema. Real crisis started when people started to stay at home, because there was not money, and it was a bit later than Avatar time. In terms of box office, Spain was still quite relevant. Big numbers tell us that disaster was coming, but it was not there. It is when you do not see people on the streets when disaster is already there. And the problem is that there is not hope to come back.
  • Like 2

My bad. I explained it wrong. We were in crisis for sure. It started in Sep 2008, with Lehman brothers fall. In fact I think it was promoted in Spain since 1998 because certain laws, but that is another debate... what I meant is that even with a considerable drop in employment, people still did not feel in 2009-2010 period, when Avatar was released, that we were in a black hole. People were still on the streets buying and going to the cinema. Real crisis started when people started to stay at home, because there was not money, and it was a bit later than Avatar time. In terms of box office, Spain was still quite relevant. Big numbers tell us that disaster was coming, but it was not there. It is when you do not see people on the streets when disaster is already there. And the problem is that there is not hope to come back.

Hope is rising here in Barcelona. 2015 is going to be a good year ;)

• Like 1

I hope Avengers 2 can beat Avengers in the EU, $233m doesn't seem such a big number compare to several blockbusters so it's possible :)

That is because besides the UK, Avengers wasn't that big of a deal in most of Europe.

1ST POST UPDATED

The Avengers

European Union : $233m

OS Box Office : $895m

EU Share of the OS Box Office : 26%

Iron Man 3

European Union : $192.2m

OS Box Office : $806.4m

EU Share of the OS Box Office : 23.8%

European Union : $845.9m

OS Box Office : $2.02B

EU Share of the OS Box Office : 42.2%

• Like 1

That's better like that, and I understand :P

However, it's always weird imo to hear people don't feel the crisis despite the fact the unemployment was increasing pretty fast! When so many people lose their jobs you can't not feel, unless you're on welfare..

Here in France our unemployment rate is around 11%, lower than in Spain in 2009 and we started to feel the crisis well before hitting this point (oh and by the way, it's still increasing, no recovery here).

Hope is rising here in Barcelona. 2015 is going to be a good year ;)

+2% in terms of economic growth and hundreds of thousands of jobs will be created, Spain is clearly back thanks to all their reforms, 2015 will be very good indeed, an economic growth twice faster than in France and 33% higher than in Germany :)

If Greece had followed Spain's example it would be in a much better situation right now ;)

Edited by Koro Sensei
  • Like 1