antovolk

John Wick: Chapter 2 | February 10, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 8

This is an educated guess at this point, but I am getting bad vibes.  Lionsgate was eager to show the first movie off early and often, but now on John Wick 2 they aren't showing it to anyone and supposedly will be embargoed until the day of release.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

This is an educated guess at this point, but I am getting bad vibes.  Lionsgate was eager to show the first movie off early and often, but now on John Wick 2 they aren't showing it to anyone and supposedly will be embargoed until the day of release.  

Hmmm

Yea that's generally not good. Guess we'll see. I'm planning on seeing it opening weekend regardless

4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I heard the same (but they are screening it week of release on Tues and Wed - they've been giving tickets away too via local blogs and stuff like they did for say Mockingjay 2) but I think it may just apply to the local press screenings? Hearing rumbles junket is this week. wouldn't be the first time a studio embargoed local critics till release day while letting the junket/big press & sites have at it first.

No sign on what's happening here in the UK though with early screenings. Release is a week after the U.S., they're doing previews on Valentine's Day, with another early public screening on the Monday. Nothing before US release and nothing announced press wise by WBUK.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Oof

The early screening element of the first was a result of Lionsgate not starting marketing until one month until release as a means to build up buzz.

Another possibility is to avoid the revelation of possible spoilers due to increased fan anticipation towards its world building.

About that new spot, how 'bout that pencil?

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

The early screening element of the first was a result of Lionsgate not starting marketing until one month until release as a means to build up buzz.

Another possibility is to avoid the revelation of possible spoilers due to increased fan anticipation towards its world building.

:o

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

John Wick once killed three men with a pencil. A fuckin' pencil

• Like 7

6 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Heard from people that saw this in the last few days.  One person thought it was decent, the other didn't like it.  Neither thought it was as good as John Wick.  

I'm actually curious if this can open to 25M and barely finish above the first. It seems like this is a big step down from the original.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really depends on the reasons why people didn't like it as much as the first.

Someone on GAF said they saw it and probably agreed with the 'decent' take and said they didn't like the villains or the first half all that much but the 2nd half was good.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Really depends on the reasons why people didn't like it as much as the first.

Someone on GAF said they saw it and probably agreed with the 'decent' take and said they didn't like the villains or the first half all that much but the 2nd half was good.

I'm here for the quality of the action.

And also for how the dog is utilized.

And let's be fair. The story of the first was inflated by the dead puppy as a motivator. This doesn't have that hook. Going into this with that expectation might help enjoyment better.

Edited by Jay Beezy

3 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:
3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:
10 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Heard from people that saw this in the last few days.  One person thought it was decent, the other didn't like it.  Neither thought it was as good as John Wick.  

I'm actually curious if this can open to 25M and barely finish above the first. It seems like this is a big step down from the original.

Let's not talk hyperbole based on one guy who said it was decent and another who didn't like it.

EmpireCity is citing anecdotal opinions. He's not being hyperbolic about it, just relaying their thoughts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

I'm here for the quality of the action.

And also for how the dog is utilized.

And let's be fair. The story of the first was inflated by the dead puppy as a motivator. This doesn't have that hook. Going into this with that expectation might help enjoyment better.

The new dog isn't nearly as cute as the *sob* first dog.  Points already deducted.

• Like 3