grim22

Fifty Shades Darker | February 10th, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 13

Re: James creative control freak - you guys should read this interview and her justification:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11405262/Fifty-Shades-of-Grey-author-EL-James-I-had-to-fight-for-a-lot-of-things-really-hard.html

When making the film, were you thinking about your readers, or about a new audience that perhaps hasn't read the book?

I was thinking about the readers. There are enough of them! (Laughter.) I mean hopefully we'll bring other people to it as well, of course; there are people who don't read at all. But my readers are the people I've always had in my mind. I understand the disappointment when key scenes are forgotten, or missing, so I was an advocate for them.

When shooting started, you said you were terrified.

Yes! Coming from fandom, I know what it's like when you're let down by certain things, and I just didn't want to do that. What I can say is, we got there in the end.

That ladies and gents is the difference between EL James writing the sequels and Flynn writing Gone Girl.

TL;DR - fuck Tumblr and crazy fangirl fandoms. And this is an issue that touches a lot of fandom fuelled book to film adaptations.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 2

Change of cast members and half the important production team leaving... will the sequel even happen at this point?

Universal will move forward with a sequel even if it has to be a soft reboot with a full new cast but continuing the story or a full reboot in 4/5 years, I guarantee it.

Edited by CJohn

There's a gossip/blind item blogger who just posted this today:

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2015/02/jamie-dornans-reps-give-the-worst-denial-ever-to-reports-he-is-leaving-50-shades-of-grey.html

Earlier this week I Tweeted that Jamie Dornan has an out clause in his 50 Shades Of Grey contract that allows him to walk from a sequel if production takes too long to commence. You can’t keep the guy locked into a movie forever. Dakota Johnson has similar language, but not quite as strong and she is not in huge demand like Jamie is. At this point, the studio wanted to be shooting the sequel. They wanted back to back to back to however many installments they could pop out premiering every Valentine’s Day for the foreseeable future. Instead, as I Tweeted, they have no writer, no script, no director and no production start date. So, instead of releasing a movie next year, they are hopefully trying to begin shooting this time next year. The thing is though, Jamie might be fully booked by then so the studio to keep him around for a sequel will probably have to cough up more money. Even that will only buy them a certain amount of time. Now, when all of this reached Jamie’s people they issued the worst and weakest denial I have heard in some time. “All press reports are pure conjecture as the studio has not committed to a sequel as yet.” Umm, true. They have not committed to a sequel yet because they still don’t have a deal with EL James who wants to write the script and probably direct it and have final cut and final say and a box of chocolates delivered to her house every fifteen minutes by some guy in a rabbit suit and have him hop up and down saying EL is the greatest.

I LOL'ed at the last few lines.

• Like 2

As a general rule I am for writers having creative control over their books. There is also the fact that Hollywood treats its writers like shit. It isn't unusual for big Hollywood movie scripts to go through half a dozen writers or more with only 1 or 2 getting the writing credits in the end.

After seeing 50sog yesterday, I'm pretty confident that I'm not going to watch the next one if James writes it. Kelly Marcel did a wonderful job at adapting that piece of crap book to a somewhat strong story.

• Like 1

might as well let EL James direct to stop her moaning. Sure both films will likely get 0% ratings on RT but they will make a profit. 

Not if James takes control of it, which would guarantee an NC-17 movie (that wouldn't see the light of day in the halls of Regal and AMC's multiplex's). Universal will let this wither away into something that never happens before allowing her any type of creative control, thank god. She should be thanking Hollywood for turning in a movie that was at least watchable out of her embarrassment to literature.