48 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Aliens

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Sci-Fi-Horrorweek #2

Aliens is an incredible interesting movie. The first hour basically nothing really happens. Sure, there are character introductions, the setting and mystery is established and the Vietnam allegory is more than obvious, but the film for me kicks off with the failure of the operation. But i cant help it or me, its all just so entertaining. Cameron just has a way to make movies entertaining no matter how long they are. Aliens has some great action, but the focus is on Ripley and her evolution from survivor to heroine - now thats how you make a fantastic female protagonist! Weaver was already great in the first one, but nearly all of her most memorable moments are from this movie. The only small downside is that even tough i have a very good Blu-Ray version of this film, the effects show some age and some of the sets are reminiscent of the Star Trek TV Show in the 60s which is actually not really a negative, it adds to the charme. All in all, this is one of the best movies of teh 80s and for me the second best sequel of all time after T2.

9,5/10, A

On 10/07/2015 at 10:09 AM, Tele Came Back said:

The brief scenes with Ripley/Hicks interactions are great, and flesh out both characters beautifully. In fact, through them you can largely see Hicks stepping up and accepting the mantle of command.

The internet is wrong about the extended cut, btw. (I don't remember reading anything specific about Cameron preferring it over the shorter cut, but obviously he thinks it's worth watching). The theatrical cut is tauter and better, even though you lose the brief scene where Ripley finds out her daughter is dead. Most importantly, it doesn't show the colony or what happened until the Marines actually arrive.

Cameron does prefer it over the theatrical version.  He said so at the beginning of the commentary on the Quadrilogy box set.  

12 hours ago, baumer said:

Cameron does prefer it over the theatrical version.  He said so at the beginning of the commentary on the Quadrilogy box set.  

He's too close to the material to be objective. :P (Especially since IIRC he had a bit of a struggle with the studio to arrive at an acceptable running time for them.)

If he took out that extended colony scene at the beginning, I'd agree with him -- the brief scene with Ridley finding out about her daughter is really nice, and most of the other little touches are great.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

He's too close to the material to be objective. :P (Especially since IIRC he had a bit of a struggle with the studio to arrive at an acceptable running time for them.)

If he took out that extended colony scene at the beginning, I'd agree with him -- the brief scene with Ridley finding out about her daughter is really nice, and most of the other little touches are great.

Yes, yes and more yes. That scene ruins the extended. Like cringe worthy. And it kills the pace and mystery, its kinda dumbfounds me, Cameron likes it. 

• Like 2

Aliens is a remarkable action film. Smartly spending the first hour primarily on letting us know the characters, everyone in the ensemble (with a few intentional exceptions) is worth rooting for in their own lovable way. Weaver is fantastic as Ripley, being a clear evolution from the first film that's both more empowering and more vulnerable. Paxton and Henriksen both steal the show, but really, the entire cast is fantastic in it. Cameron stages the action with the appropriate tension that constantly reminds you that these aliens are utterly terrifying, which allows the climax to be just as cathartic to us as it is to Ripley. Aliens is a well-deserved action classic, thanks to strong characters and still exciting setpieces. A

• Like 1

Watched this for the first time last night (special edition) - absolutely immense. Near flawless example of how to do sci-fi or action. You really think not much is happening at all in the first hour, then it goes from 0 to 100 real quick and suddenly all the build-up pays off big style. 

Made seeing Covenant today all the more 'meh'. 

• Like 2

I’m on a bit of an Alien marathon. Saw this today. Absolutely great movie. Nothing more to say than what has already been said. 

But I prefer this to the first one. The first one is great but this one is better. The pacing is spot on unlike the first one. I actually felt more tense during this one than the first. But I gotta say the Xenomorph was scarier in the first one. Here there are too many of them and they are easily mowed down. 

Now onto Alien cubed

• Like 1