stripe

Score and soundtracks - 2015 discussion

On 2015. 11. 13., stripe said:

The PT scores are incredible, but the OT scores are a step further in creativity and ambition. TPM is the best score of the PT, but I cannot consider AotC and RotS to be in the same outstanding level. They both sure had fantastic cues and are never less than impressive... But George Lucas killed AotC score editing previously released music in the third act, while RotS suffers a lot because of the not so inspired editing of the album.

The last two scores do not have an official complete edition and both really needed it.

TPM's score is better than the OT ones except Ep. 4. Duel of the Fates is the best SW music ever and some other themes like The Droid Invasion are great.

I love that Williams didn't copy himself and created something new and exciting. I hope he'll do the same with Ep. 7. Of course some of the classic themes should be included as well. I would appreciate a new version of the Imperial March. The one in the end of Attack of the Clones was awesome.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, misafeco said:

TPM's score is better than the OT ones except Ep. 4. Duel of the Fates is the best SW music ever and some other themes like The Droid Invasion are great.

I love that Williams didn't copy himself and created something new and exciting. I hope he'll do the same with Ep. 7. Of course some of the classic themes should be included as well. I would appreciate a new version of the Imperial March. The one in the end of Attack of the Clones was awesome.

The best SW score is ESB. The best theme is Empire's March (iconic gem), the Love theme is gorgeous, Yoda's theme, innovative rousing action pieces (Asteroid field, Hoth battle)...

After it, ANH, TPM, RotJ, RotS, AotC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stripe said:

The best SW score is ESB. The best theme is Empire's March (iconic gem), the Love theme is gorgeous, Yoda's theme, innovative rousing action pieces (Asteroid field, Hoth battle)...

I like the Force theme better and it's just as iconic. But The Imperial March is great as well.

Star Wars minus Williams:

:D

Original scene:

• Like 2

On 11/18/2015, 6:28:52, stripe said:

I like your list.

Here's mine: ESB, ROTJ, ANH, TPM, ROTS, AOTC

• Like 1

On 11/23/2015, 4:59:04, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Michael & Jeff Danna's score for TGD is really, really epic, having listened to it. Storm Chasers and Sky Sharks are intense tracks.

Yes, like everything else about the movie it lived up to my hype.

Lots of highlights; the main fiddle-driven themes, the Hisaishi-esque "Mountain Top" and "Lost in the Woods", "Orphans" and "Run with the Herd" 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

The Force Awakens has really grown at me. At first I was disappointed but it took a few listens to really reveal itself. I love Rey's theme, Star Wars meets Harry Potter. Kylo Ren's motif is nifty too. Williams refuses to relent on the dense action music, this isn't for everyone but it really is for me.  Action scenes are scored nowadays with the music playing over the scene so it's always refreshing to hear Williams play inside the scene,  catching everything that's going on.

I think Williams mastered the balance between old and new in a way Abrams could never dream of doing. 

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

The Force Awakens has really grown at me. At first I was disappointed but it took a few listens to really reveal itself. I love Rey's theme, Star Wars meets Harry Potter. Kylo Ren's motif is nifty too. Williams refuses to relent on the dense action music, this isn't for everyone but it really is for me.  Action scenes are scored nowadays with the music playing over the scene so it's always refreshing to hear Williams play inside the scene,  catching everything that's going on.

I think Williams mastered the balance between old and new in a way Abrams could never dream of doing. 

It's a really nuanced score, definitely a lot different than what we've heard from SW before. I'm starting to love it. 

• Like 3

There's a lot to love from TFA score! Can't stop listening to Rey's theme, the finale, follow me, torn apart, the march... Just amazing cues!

I can't believe there are some that say this score doesn't feature memorable themes when we have two instant classic that also reflects how Williams has evolved these last years.

There's nothing wrong with personal tastes. Prequels scores were never less than brilliant.

For me, 

TPM is better than TFA.

AOTC has Across the Stars but had problems with the third act. Definetely under TFA.

ROTS has great score in the third act. And a great opening. I would rate it slightly below TFA.

A shame there's not an oficial Complete Score for Ep 2 & 3

Maybe, one of the problems with TFA score is that it wasn't recorded by the London Sinfony Orchestra. It affected to the overall sound.

Edited by stripe

Easily my least favorite score in any SW movies, and i listened to the whole album after seeing the movie. It's an okay score, any B list composer could've done it. It's very hard for me to say, but it's time for Williams to leave the franchise.

8 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Easily my least favorite score in any SW movies, and i listened to the whole album after seeing the movie. It's an okay score, any B list composer could've done it. It's very hard for me to say, but it's time for Williams to leave the franchise.

I appreciate that you didn't like it but the idea that anyone else could have wrote it is nonsense. The intricacies of Williams' writing and the orchestrations are so far beyond anyone else working today. 

• Like 2