Jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. Maltese Falcon, Arsenic, Blair Witch, etc.

Was going to wait a bit to watch Air Force One, but it was on TNT and since I was doing anything I decided to go ahead. Pretty good, I'd give it a B. It's nothing more than a a summer action thriller, but it doesn't need to be. Middle dragged a bit and it had its cliches, and movies like Die Hard and Speed have done better, but AF1 was intense and thrilling in its own right. Harrison Ford was a perfect cast. And even though there was some cliches, there was good unexpected bits too. I didn't really think Gary O would kill ole girl, and him throwing away all the parachutes was clever. The main reason I watch movies is for entertainment, thats the #1 reason, and this movie entertains, so I'll find time to see it again.

Vasquez for Life !!! She s in Titanic, can you recognize her ?

I didn't recognize her in Titanic, but I recognized her from T2. Was sad to see her ago, I got really invested into her character as well, was hoping shed make it. But we need more women like her in film, and the actress that played her shouldve gotten more roles.

I think French Connection suffers a bit in that while it was groundbreaking at the time, everything it did has since been done better elsewhere. So it was huge at the time, and if you're into film history its *totally* worth respecting for what it did. But as someone today simply watching it as a movie, its good and all but I dont know that theres anything about it thats amazing by today's standards just its own rights.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head here. I think this is it. I respect Coolio's criticism, but really how the hell am I supposed to know how groundbreaking FC was? That's the point of me watching all these older movies, so I can learn and gain a better film viewpoint, but I still haven't seen enough from that period yet. A movie like Aliens, its easier to spot the groundbreaking elements as that stands out more. A movie like French Connection, not so easy. 

If I say something like "it didn't break barriers" (even though I was referring to my personal views, not in general), then feel free to tell me why I'm wrong, but I don't need the snark. We don't all share one brain. Thanks Wrath.

To everyone, when I put the movies in the title, feel free to tell me something I should know, that I might not. I will watch Third Man tonight and hopefully the Blob. If theres something I should really know about them that I might not catch, just lemme know. Will definitely help me understand these movies impact better.

Edited by LeFlop James

I didn't recognize her in Titanic, but I recognized her from T2. Was sad to see her ago, I got really invested into her character as well, was hoping shed make it. But we need more women like her in film, and the actress that played her shouldve gotten more roles.

Ahem. Time to watch NEAR DARK after THIRD MAN.

• Like 1

Ahem. Time to watch NEAR DARK after THIRD MAN.

Damn like half the cast of Aliens is in that. Guess I'll replace the Blob with that and save Blob.

Has Jandrew seen the original Conan the Barbarian? He should see the original Conan the Barbarian.

Have not seen it. It's incoming. May just do an Arnie-thon this week with Conan, T1, Last Action Hero, Running Man, and Total Recall.

• Like 1

Have not seen it. It's incoming. May just do an Arnie-thon this week with Conan, T1, Last Action Hero, Running Man, and Total Recall.

Just know going in that the acting aside from Mako and James Earl Jones (and the random Max von Sydow cameo) is pretty mediocre at best. But in terms of visual and musical storytelling it's right up there with Star Wars.

• Like 2

Ok this is on Friday morning on IFC, so commercials. And I'm not recommending it because it's a good movie by any stretch. But the 1996 version of the Island of Dr Moreau is on. If you ever want to see a movie where half the actors are like fuck it I'm doing my thing. And the other half are like what the fuck am I doing here, then this is your movie

• Like 1

Watched Near Dark. It was alright. Not exactly my type if movie, but I was able to stick with it. I liked Bigelows spin on the vampires, and the acting was pretty good. It dragged at some bits, and other bits was just kinda weird, but itll do.

Didnt get around to Third Man, decided to spend the rest of the night doing job apps. Ill watch that and Swiss Fam Rob today. Ill do Conan tomorrow.

Don't forget twins and kindergarten cop

I owned Kindergarten Cop.

Ok this is on Friday morning on IFC, so commercials. And I'm not recommending it because it's a good movie by any stretch. But the 1996 version of the Island of Dr Moreau is on. If you ever want to see a movie where half the actors are like fuck it I'm doing my thing. And the other half are like what the fuck am I doing here, then this is your movie

If im home at that time Ill check it out. If not, Ill try to find it online.

Edited by LeFlop James
  • Like 3

So was gonna watch Swiss Fam Robinson, but the video kept pausing and I got frustrated so I cut it off. Went to Netflix instead and found Annie Hall. Decided to check it out, and wow. One of the best, if not the best scripts I have ever heard. No hyperbole. And that use of 4th wall was the best use of 4th wall since the 4th wall was built. I loved how he would stop what he was doing in reality and go talk to someone in that 4th wall style. 

The cinematography was very good, they did a great job contrasting NY and LA. I thought the performances were pretty good as well. I see Diane Keaton won an Oscar. Shows you don't have to cry obsessively and yell in every scene, like the Oscar baits today, to have an Oscar performance. Allen played the socially awkward, understandable yet misunderstood guy so well. Theres a lot of dialogue in this movie, a lot of talking, yet you dont get bored with it. Someone is always saying something interesting. Hell there was so much conversation, I'm going to have to watch this again soon to pick up on more subtle bits I probably missed. And there was something about the scene with Woody and Diane at her house on their "first date." Something really stuck with me on that scene, I don't know what, but that scene felt perfect. Felt very real, and the way they had the subtitles expressing their thoughts, so clever.

It's a dramedy, and it works. It's not sappy, its not vulgar, its not rauchy, and its not melodramatic. It's honest. I wasnt expecting what I got. I mean, I no not to judge a movie by its poster, but its poster looked kind of boring and I thought this movie would be more on the sappy, ho hum side. Keep in mind I'm not that familiar with Woody Allen, the only other thing of his Ive seen is Blue Jasmine, so I was extremely surprised with what I got. And I'll say again, one of the best scripts ever. I don't even have to explain why, but this one line should help you understand:

"It's so clean out here in LA", "That's because they don't throw their garbage away, they turn it into television shows."

As a serious writer, this movie stuck out even more. This is a movie and a script I'll definately keep close by so I can use it as a tool. I want to have a successful career, I want my scripts sold, I want to be the first African American to win BOS. In order to do that, you have to learn the game, and I'll be getting a lot of knowledge from outstanding movies like this. Perfect. A. 5/5.

• Like 2

So my ipad would die in the middle of my Third Man review. Ugh I hate having to type things out twice. Anyway, I'll probably have to watch again to fully appreciate, but I thought Third Man was very good. I was iffy on the editing, but I thought the cinematography, story, and acting was well done. I know the score is lauded, but I wasn't feeling it as much as I wantd. I was looking for a more serious tone. But the cinematography was the most excellent. I loved the emphasis on shadows and the contrasting black and whites.

I was a little confused on the story at first, but I came to understand it. And while the character of Anna was integral to the story, I felt her to be to a little too typical 1940s Hollywood. The scene on the ferris wheel was awesome, I was afraid Orson was gonna throw Joseph out for a second, and his dots monologue is classic. The end chase was pretty thrilling and I wasn't expecting it to end that way. That little boy was so annoying though.  :lol: But yes I'm glad I watched that. Very intriguing and suspenseful movie and I see why its a classic.

I despise Annie Hall with a passion. 

What did you not like? If its personal qualms with Woody Allen I don't really care to hear. If it something specifically with the movie, I'd like to hear your take. Dar said he wasn't a big fan either and I made my gf watch it and she thought it had goods and bads (though she doesn't think about movies as deep as we do). I didn't expect something like that to be polarizing.

• Like 1

I know the score is lauded, but I wasn't feeling it as much as I wantd. I was looking for a more serious tone.

The score is lauded for that exact reason -- it went against expectations and gives a sardonic, almost mocking tone (at times) to Holly's efforts to Seek Out The Truth. But yes, it's definitely unexpected and unusual.

• Like 3

I definitely disliked the score on my first viewing, thinking it was straining way too hard for irony. Now it's one of my favorite scores ever; sardonic and mocking is right, and I saw someone describe it as a "fake smile", which is on point. At the same time, you could see it as a kind of ghost of beautiful old-time Vienna, still haunting the city's streets after the war and destruction. 

It's also absolutely beautiful, especially on its own. I listen to it all the time on summer nights with the windows open. Never get tired of it. 

• Like 2

Alright finally got around and watched To Catch A Thief last night. Sorry for the week delay, if any of you have cared. TCAT was good. Hitchcocks best? No, but still good Hitchcock. The movie doesnt get an A, but the shot does where the cat would walk in, the burglar would steal, and then the cat would wlak away, symbolizing a cat burglar. Amazing. Also the fireworks scene...wow. Dat cinematog. But the rest was pretty standard, though Grant and Kelly were both very good.

I really like Cary Grant for some reason , and I was very impressed with Grace Kelly, and shes boy was she fine. And I didnt get typical Hollywood out out her, she acted great. Gotta watch more of her and gotta go back and rewatch what Ive seen of her because I wasnt even aware she was in it. There was some thrills, and some chills, and it payed the bills, but I wasnt wowed. Still good.

Got Interstellar out of Redbox and I figured, never a better time to watch 2001 for the first time. Yes Ive never seen 2001. So now I can compare. So thats on the docket tonight. Lets see if im blow away or dissapointed. Interstellar should let me see guage it better than if I was watching it raw.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1