Jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. Maltese Falcon, Arsenic, Blair Witch, etc.

Saturday TCM is showing Mister Roberts. According to my dad it was my grandpa's a WWII Navy vet favorite film. Sadly he died before I was born. So I can use the film as a remembrance of a man I never got to meet

So in regards to my Conan review, I'm sorry but I have to say I'm just not a big fan of the fantasy genre. But I really dug Conan. It just had this, charm. The soundtrack, wow. I'm not a big score/soundtrack person. I don't listen to them a lot, but I noticed this one and its awesome. Fit with the theme of the movie, had an epic and original sound, and really enhanced the experience.

They had balls killing off the female love interest, Valeria, I didn't think that'd happen. I was honestly waiting on Subotai to die, since you know, that's the typical cliche...but it didn't happen. Impressive and glad they didn't go down that road. The Wizard was great comic relief. And speaking of cliches, I honestly didn't notice that many with this, though of course some were present. But I wasn't expecting Valeria to come back after Conan left her in the bed, and James Earl Jones (so awesome) didn't fall into that typical villain bafoonery trap. He easily coulve, but they avoided it. But when it he turned into a snake...lol what?? But I had no problem with it. Oh I also liked the comparison of James Earl to Medusa, how clever! 

I liked the plot of the king wanting Conan, Veleria, and Subotai wanting to retrieve his daughter. Honestly reminded me of Shaft. Not a bad thing of course. Oh and while it was very eerie and a tad disturbing in its suicidal message, James Earls monologue about "steel vs flesh" was very good. Conan gets a good B. The fight scenes were fun, the drama was alright, soundtrack excellent, and boy I wasn't expecting that many tatas. The character introductions all did feel rushed and some characters made no sense, like the witch? (she was fine tho). But overall I enjoyed it, thanks for the recommendation, Numbers. Just like RDJ for Iron Man, Arnie was born to play Conan. 

I mean...there was a sword fight, during an orgy, while the room was on fire...how often do you see that!? And...Arnie...PUNCHING A CAMEL!? I don't care what PETA says, that was GOLD!  :lol: Why haven't I known about that in all my years? That should be a gif here. Lolz. I guess i'm doing Bullitt today. Maybe I can pick up one more movie, I'll see.

Saturday TCM is showing Mister Roberts. According to my dad it was my grandpa's a WWII Navy vet favorite film. Sadly he died before I was born. So I can use the film as a remembrance of a man I never got to meet

I'll put it on the dvr!

When are you going to watch the real classics?

Mel Brooks

Seen Young Frank, loved it. Seen Blazing Sads, its garbage. If you want me to see more, just recommend or say so and I'll get to it.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 3

Awesome we actually have discussion in here. That's what I want, for you guys to discuss amongst yourselves. So since you guys said Mel Brooks, and I was in a comedy mood, and it was the shortest, I went with Producers. Really enjoyed it. This is the Mel Brooks I liked. I'm a more subtle comedy type of guy. The plot was so original and it was executed very well. I knew everyone was going to end up liking the play!

And it took me the longest time to realize LSD wasn't Robin Williams lmao. But Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder had great chemistry, Kenneth Mars was funny as Franz and I loved the shooting scene! And I loved how he said so deadpan, like "I guess I just have to shoot you", and then when Gene Wilder offers him the champagne, he's holding the gun at him and is like "no thanks, I just ordered coffee." :lol: Thats the comedy I like. And while the whole movie wasnt laugh out loud funny, it kept a smile on my face from start to finish, which is good enough for me. Lee Meredith...well damn. I see why the remake apparently sucks. This is something you just cant remake and work. It only works once. Perfect B. Will definately watch again. This is one of those movies that could be better on rewatch.

Nightcap will be Bullitt. Tele I know you want me to start Tartarsaucesky, but I gotta wait until i get in a better mood. I haven't been in the best mood lately, so sitting though 3 hours of that isn't really going to help. These comedies and action movies are helping better. Thanks Talisman for the Producers rec and Andy for the Brooks rec. I'll get to more of him.

• Like 2

Since you enjoy Cary Grant (rightfully so, he's marvelous) a couple of his all time great comedies:

Bringing Up Baby

Arsenic & Old Lace

There's also:

His Girl Friday

Philadelphia Story

The Awful Truth

Holiday

The Grace Is Greener

Father Goose

also one of my favorite Hitchcock movies:

Notorious

• Like 3

I know I always refence TCM but it is a great resource. Friday I see the movie M is being shown early. It's supposed to be great. Setting the dvr. And then around noonish, the Maltese Falcon is being shown

• Like 2