Jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. Maltese Falcon, Arsenic, Blair Witch, etc.

Thanks. I already watched Close Encounters, but I set the others to record. I'll get back on this soon, I've been focusing on my writing at the moment.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

Thanks. I already watched Close Encounters, but I set the others to record. I'll get back on this soon, I've been focusing on my writing at the moment.

Even if youre writing you should be watching a movie for inspiration of some sort. Every film you watch you learn something new.

• Like 1

Was flipping channels and saw Village of the Damned on TCM. Watching it now. I know there's others yall want me to watch, but I'm in the mood for some Hitchcock, so I'll be doing Strangers on a Train tonight.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

Village of the Damned was pretty weird. I never fully connected with it. The "thespian-ness" turned me off some. Why couldn't people talk normal back then? Like the kid, he kept talking so proper and with that accent. Is that really how kids talked in the 60's? I don't think so. That's just one thing that kind of annoys me with these older films, but it was really noticeable here. The concept was cool, but the movie was just off.

Strangers on a Train was really good though. Certainly Hitchock. Not sure where'd I rank it yet with Hitchcocks. Probably in the middle.

I'll get back on this soon. Have to take another quick break. Starting my online class and getting a full work schedule. I'll try to fit them in, but I get my school work done first. No way am I done with this though, I'll be doing for quite a while, I just can't fit 2-3-4 movies into the day atm like I used to. No later than Friday though, things should calm down then, but T-T this week will be pretty busy.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

Watched Taxi Driver and Sidth Sense today. I understand Taxi Driver is considered one of the best movies of all time, but honestly, I think I have to give a B grade. I dont know, I just dont see why was that great about it. It was like the Equalizer, before the Equalizer.

De Niro obviously knocked it out of the park, and that soundtrack would gold. Both other than those 2 things, I wasnt "wowed" by anything else. I was impressed, but not wowed. I understand the symbolism and what not so we dont have to go through all that, it just didnt strike me like was expecting. Still very damn good.

As for Sixth Sense, I knew the twist coming in. Either Bruce or Haley Joel was really dead. I eventually figured out it was Bruce, but this didnt take me out of the movie at al. The tension, suspence, and atmosphere was insane. I did not see the twist with the little girl coming at all. And the scene with Haley Joel and Toni Collete in the car when he reveals his secret to her...wow. That was a powerful scene. One of the best scenes I have seen. Shamayamama did great with this.

So this movie adjusts to $467m? Damn. I see why it was a phenomenon. I wish we got more suspece like this. Everythings a freaking tentpole now, and rhe main "suspence" movies are supernatural horrors that just have a bunch of jump scares and tense music.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

Dat Scorcese/DeNiro/Foster team-up. Is all.

Agree about the Collete/Osment car scene in TSS. 

Still think The Village is Shyamalan's best horror though.  :ph34r: That's like the only movie ever where I just cannot understand where all the hate came from. Is it because some people felt cheated by the twist? 

I'm still doing this. While I was away, I checked out:

Terminator (84) A/B still can't decide.

The Naked Gun (88) A

Beetlejuice (88) B?

Rambo 2 (85) C

Aladdin (92) B

Butch Cassidy (69)

The Odd Couple (68) B

My Cousin Vinny (92) A/B still can't decide - extremely well written though.

Rosemary's Baby (68) D

A Trip to the Moon (1902) Can you really grade this?

Hotel Rwanda (04) B

The Conversation (74) B

City of God (02) A - one of the best movies i've ever seen and it's not even in English

Blues Brothers (80) B

Big Fat Greek Wedding (02) C

Dont Be a Menace to South Central (96) D

Big (88) B

Tremors (90) B

Out of Towners (70) Still haven't got to finish, but it was heading to D territory

Seven (95) B

High Anxiety (77) C

The Defiant Ones (58) B

Clueless (95) B

New Jack City (92) B

A very colorful and random list I know. Still gotta get more 50's -70's I know, I know. And short for how long I was gone, but I just recently got back into movie mood.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

What did you think of BUTCH CASSIDY?

It was solid, but I honestly don't know what to completely think because I've seen so few westerns and there were a couple distractions, like my gf's mom came so I had to put it on pause. I'm going to give it a rewatch soon and reevaluate.

Count me in on the City of God love as well. It makes for quite the double feature (and sharp contrast in worldview) when paired with Slumdog Millionaire.

I still remember feeling stunned on Oscar nomination announcement morning in 2004 when it snagged nominations for directing, writing, and editing. It felt like the film came out of nowhere, but based upon those nominations, it came awfully close to sneaking in for Best Picture.

I forgot why why I gave Rosemary's Baby a D, but I know I hated the ending, there was alot of silliness, and the lead annoyed me. I found a lot predictable as well. It also felt very slow. It was a different movie than advertised to me.

But Im back on this. Lately: 

Wish Upon A Star (96): Look, I always make my gf watch movies with me, so I said I'd watch this with her. And truth be told, it wasnt bad. Amazing how they allowed a teenager girl to dress in BDSM and dance like a thot on a lunchroom table, discussions about hickies and virginity, and underage driving in a Disney Channel movie, among other things. Those were the good old days before everybdoy got all sensitive. But yeah, I was able to enjoy it. Didnt know Katherine Heigl was acting that young.

They Call Me Mr Tibbs (70): Still need to evaluate, but it was uneven, and I didnt care for the family issues. Nowhere in the league of Defiant Ones, Heat of Night, and Guess Whos Coming To Dinner.

Rocky (76): C. I know, i know...Im sorry. I'll watch it again, and I plan on watching 2-5, but it just didnt do it for me. Started off somewhat slow and never picked up. I guess I was spoiled by Creed because the fight was underwhelming to me. While dialouge was good, the shouting matches didnt feel warranted. The soundtrack is obviously an A. Please dont hate me. Maybe itll be better on rewatch.

Dumbo (41): B. Fine little flick. Im not a fan of musicals, but the rest was okay. The crows were annoying.

I have a lot I have to watch before the expiration date on Netflix and TCM. Movies Im going to try to squeeze in from now to Jan 3ish are:

Bridge on River Kwai, The Wrong Man, Wait Until Dark, Christmas Carol, High Society, The Kid (Chaplin), Gladiator, Tomb Raider, High Noon, Underworld, Bill and Ted, Jerry (Lizzie) McGuire, Marathon Man, One Million Years BC, Horse Feathers, Animal Crackers, Rocky 2-5, and Monkey Business (Marx). Obviously I wont get to all these by New Years as I do have a life, but I'll get to them all at some point.

Again, if you have recommendations, shoot em this way, and feel free to post your own reciews/feedback :)

Edited by jandrew