Jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. Maltese Falcon, Arsenic, Blair Witch, etc.

Bill and Ted (89): B. Started off weird, but it picked up. Never laugh out loud funny, but it was pretty original and enjoyable. Felt incomplete though. Still a good time. Napoleon was a great fish out of water.

Tomb Raider (01): D. The good: The bungie scene was cool, and Jolie is fine as hell as Lara. The bad: Everything else. The soundtrack was so bi-polar. First theyd have 2000's synth-pop playing, then it'd be LOTR-esque epic, then pop, then epic. The acting, plot, dialogue, and effects were bad, even for 2001 standards. I don't even know the names of anyone not named Lara.

High Society (56): C. Not a bad movie, but not my cup of tea. I was bored.

Strangers on a Train (51): A. Amazing movie!!!! Never let off the gas with its suspense. One thing I have to say though: so the cop that accidentally shot the merry go-round operator, nobody else noticed that?... Still amazing, and maybe top 3 from Hitchcock. NXNW and Birds are just too high to top.

Stage Fright (50): C. Not as good as Strangers. And the movie was supposed to be about what's his name, but it kept going in so many different directions, I kept forgetting he was even in the movie. The ending twist didn't have much impact either.

Mr and Mrs Smith (41): Didn't get to finish, TCM took it off. I'll find it online soon and finish the rest, but it was pretty meh by what i'd seen.

Underworld (03): F. Managed to be worse than TR. I cut it off after like an hour? It was just too ridiculous. To be fair, vampires and werewolves just aren't my thing.

Edited by jandrew

Maybe an F was too harsh, but its no better than a D. Vampires a really tough sell with me.

One Million Years BC (66): D. More entertaining than I thought it was going to be, but still ridiculous in other departments. 

Marathon Man (76): B. I liked the characters and the acting and writing were great. The plot seems a little standard, but they did take it to new places, like with the dental torture. There was also some predictability: you knew Roy Schnider would die at some point, and you could smell Secretary Heller from 24 being a double crosser from a mile away. But Dustin Hoffman is one of my favorites, and he carried this well. The villain Szell and the actor were good as well. The old bald white guys are the always the ones you least expect. I feel they couldve amped it up a notch and truly made a classic, but as is, still a great 2 hours of film.

An Inconvenient Truth (06): B. Provactive, witty, and thought provoking. Im already aware of GW, but I still learned a few things. I'd like to see them make a "sequel" to show how weve done 10 years later. Felt some time was wasted with Gores personal stories though.

Almost Famous (00): B. Man that was pretty dope. I see why it won an Academy award for writing, it was really sharp, dialouge top notch, and characters fleshed. Movie started off really hot with the opening scene. They slowlyyyyy let off the gas as it went on, but it still ended on a good note. I liked the "get a story" concept, and the all the band stuff was done very well, especially the plane turbulence scene. C'mon you could see the "im gay!" reveal coming from a mile away though lol.

One negative though was the "band-aides." Other than Penny, I didnt care about any of them; Anna Pacquin was especially weird. And where did Jay Baruchel come from? lol. I was also waiting on McDormand to be like "ight screw this" and come wreck shit, but she never did. Seemed out of her character that she would just keep letting him go on tour, yet she wouldnt let him eat eggs..what? I know shes trying to let him mature, but it didnt feel believable to me. I guess they started her character off too heavy. Im not a rock guy, but it was a good soundtrack. Good direction and editing as well. I see why this movie is held in high regard.

A Christmas Carol (38): Ive seen better and funner in the Xmas department, but it was cool to see the 1930's take on Xmas. Even though this wasnt my favorite, it's still iconic, and the actor of Scrooge was pretty good.

High Noon (52): It was good. Dialogue and characters were good, and the end was pretty riveting.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2015 at 9:03 AM, Jay Salahi said:

Ohhhhhh c'mon Underworld isn't that bad. The practical werewolves effects alone, plus Martin Sheen hamming it up and the R rating make it better than an F. 

Also Marathon Man is dope, so is Bridge on the River Kwai, interested in your thoughts. 

What was the last time you watched it?

Monkey Business and Horse Feathers (Marx Bros): I dont remember much about them, but they didn't stand out to me the way Duck Soup did. Well, I did really enjoy the football scene.

Maybe I liked DS so much because it was new to me? I dont know if the Marx Bros schtick is my thing. I'll watch more though and gather a better consensus.

Kentucky Fried Movie: D. Okay, what? The Bruce Lee skit was alright and felt like a true spoof, but the rest tried too hard and didnt produce any laughs from me, especially the news scenes. Those were cringeworthy. Felt like the 70s version of Movie 43.

The Thing: B. Pretty thrilling. And while I can't remember names too well, the rest of the characterization well pretty well done. Everyone had a distinct personality, and you truly didnt know who was affected. I do have to say the creatures were fucking ugly and yall know I hate butt ugly. But the Antarctic setting was pretty fresh and pacing was pretty even.

ps Tele this reminded me of that script you wrote.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 2

Stepford Wives: C. The gf made me watch. I was pretty intrigued, but they gave away the robot twist too early. Naomi Watts and Bette Midler was fun to watch. It was a good cast all around. There was just too much implausibilities I couldnt get over.

Working Girl: B. The gf made me watch, but it was good. I had never heard of this movie before until we saw it on HBO Go. Im not really sure where all the Oscar praise came from, but it was still enjoyable, even if a tad formulaic. 

1 hour ago, jandrew said:

Stepford Wives: C. The gf made me watch. I was pretty intrigued, but they gave away the robot twist too early. Naomi Watts and Bette Midler was fun to watch. It was a good cast all around. There was just too much implausibilities I couldnt get over.

Working Girl: B. The gf made me watch, but it was good. I had never heard of this movie before until we saw it on HBO Go. Im not really sure where all the Oscar praise came from, but it was still enjoyable, even if a tad formulaic. 

A tad formulaic because it helped create those formulas!

• Like 1

Not sure why I randomly stopped this, but why not start it back? Unfortunately some of the movies I've seen since I don't remember everything about, so I can't give good full reviews for many of them. Regardless, since I was last here, according to my Letterboxd:

Training Day (01) - I have to go back and watch this. Me and the gf started fighting or something during it so I was taken out of the mood. But from what I remember, it was good, but not great.

Housesitter (92) - I think it was C grade. Not bad, but not a classic comedy either. Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn made a funny duo, but there were many cliches.

Gone in 60 Seconds (00) - I thought this was neat. Not quite F&F, but it was definitely more entertaining than I went in assuming it was going to be. The concept was silly, but this movie embraced it well.

Scary Movie 3 (03) - All I remember was it pretty stupid. I gave it 2 stars on Letterboxd so I assume I wasn't a fan.

V for Vendetta (05) - Okay, I loved this movie. I think I gave it an A- or so. The action, acting, allegory, atmosphere, etc. I loved it all. Not sure if I ended up fully rewatching again, but I've definitely been trying to get back around to it. This movie is awesome. I wish I had watched sooner.

Borat (06) - It got some good laughs out of me, and it was pretty unique. Very nicee.

Cabin Fever (02) - I don't remember everything about this, but the characters weren't bad and there was some cool thrills. I don't think I thought it was awful, but I don't think I gushed over it. It was very 2002-ey, which is good, and every time Rider Strong was on the screen, I couldn't stop thinking about Cory Matthews lol.

E.T. (82) - Overrated. Overrated, overrated, overrated. It wasn't "bad", Spielberg can't be "bad", but it was overrated. Don't get how that was the movie of the 80s. Sure I'll give it another watch to see if my feelings change, but it just didn't click with me.

Congo (95) - Painful and stupid. Did Syfy make 90s movies? Cause this was right up their wheelhouse. Congo? More like Gorillas in the Musk.

Sin City (05) - Completely forgot I watched this, but I have it logged in Letterboxd. I'll have to go back and rewatch before I can review it.

South Park (99) - Not a South Park fan, but this was funny and very clever. Basically the Simpson Movie before the Simpsons Movie. I remember there was one particular God joke though that turned me off for a bit, but I finished it out. Crass, yet solid flick.

Spy Hard (96) - I wanted to see what else Leslie Neislen could do outside of Airplane and Naked Gun. It was absolutely awful. 

The Enemy Below (57) - Geez, don't remember much here either. I think I found it pretty standard.

Hard Lessons (86) - Denzel was Denzel, but I've seen better teacher vs student stories. Very standard.

Jaws 3 (83) - Pretty sure I had to cut this off. I couldn't do it anymore. It was beyond terrible. F.

Armageddon (98) - Solid B. It was overlong, but pretty entertaining and so 90s. It was Deep Impact XL. Cant believe it took me so long to finally watch. Solid 2 and 1/2 hours of brain off goodness. If you start thinking about it too much though, it gets less fun. Just had to roll with it.

Sorcerers Stone (01) - I made a promise that I would watch the HP's, so I did. I'm not a Harry Potter fan and never read the books, but I really enjoyed this. I would've been a little lost if I didn't have the gf next to me me serving as a guide book, but I had fun with it. I was upset with the lack of Fluffy. 

Chamber of Secrets (02) - I think I actually enjoyed this one even more than Stone. Basically same as before: I needed some things explained, but I liked how things from the first were expanded on. Malfoy's such a lil bitch. I dug it.

Red Dawn (84) - Pretty solid. Had some twists and some tough moments. And they did a good job of making this feel not too far fetched. Good performances from Swayze and co.

Lake Placid (99) - It was below par.

Animal House (78) - Just a tad overrated. I'm sorry. It was funny, but #1 on Bravo's funnies movies? Nah. It was still a good time, but just didn't live up to the legacy for me.

Spinal Tap (84) - Kind of same as above. I've heard so much talk about this, but it just didn't live up to it for me. Still a good movie, but I guess I was just expecting a little much.

Point Break (91) - Man I enjoyed the hell out of this. 4 stars. Good action, acting, and it's influence on F&F is obvious, but that's a positive. Every time you thought it was going to end, they mashed back on the gas. PB was so good that I'm not even going to comment on how ridiculous the name "Johnny Utah" is (it's ridiculous). Unlike the remake, which I sinned by watching that before this, this one has heart and a purpose, and I was really invested in the Brody/Utah relationship.

Mission Impossible 3 (06) - I really liked it. It's hard to compare with 4 and 5 because they feel like quasi-new age reboots, but I think I'd put this below them. I'd say 1 is maybe better as well, but this was easily, easily, easily better than MI2. As monotone as PSH was, he was a pretty great villain.

Exit Wounds (01) - I don't remember this, at all. So I guess it didn't leave the best impression. Will have to go back and rewatch at some point I guess.

Tango and Cash (89) - Look, don't shoot me, but I hadn't heard of this until yall were talking about it before Guardians. Gave it a watch, pretty solid. The chemistry between Stallone and Russell is top notch, but the rest is your standard, although entertaining, buddy cop fare. 

Fun fact, I originally stumbled upon this on Cinemax during the prison shower scene. Great dialogue, but a very odd spot to walk into, lol.

Blank Check (94) - It was 1am and we wanted something easy and short to watch. This was always on DC, but never watched it, so we figured why not. Dumb, even ignoring the dumb concept. I likely won't ever watch it again, but it was harmless and did a good job acting as melatonin.

I promise I'm going to watch more real "classics", aka 70's and before going forward. And I'll have better, longer reviews. I just don't log reviews or star everything on LB, so it was a lot to have to remember.

Excited to be starting this back. I'm a movie buff 1,328 movies logged, but I still have a lot to catch up on.

• Like 1

According to Letterboxd:

00: 571

90's: 204

80's: 85

70's: 40

60's: 32

50's: 21

40's: 7

30's: 11

20's and 10's: 0

00's: 1

So yeah, I have a lot of catching up to do in the 40-70's section, and the 80's still needs a good boost. And with the 90's, most of that is animation and wacky kid shit, since I grew up on all that. Still plenty of serious, more adult oriented 90s movies I need to see.

Would love more suggestions.

Here's my Letterboxd profile: https://letterboxd.com/jandrew93/films/ . You can search different decades and/or years and see what I've seen.

• Like 1

Thanks @aabattery for that suggestion. 12 Angry Men was great. Felt like "Jury Duty For Dummies." You had 12 characters you had to balance, but their personalities were all clear, and even with the 12 characters and back and forth, it was still easy to follow. Liked it so much I instantly wanted to tell my mom about it.

I think it deserves an A.

That now pushes my 1950's grand total to a whopping 22 movies lol. Gimme all your suggestions and your own opinions folks, I'm back on this.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 3

Looks like you haven't done the Before trilogy, so I'd say get on that. Because they are the best. Not sure if those are as old as you want here though, but they're great.

All the President's Men is also excellent. When Harry Met Sally is the best romcom ever made so I'd put that one on the list too.

Edited by aabattery
also hun.t for the wilderpeople
  • Like 1

Treasure of Sierra Madre was really good. Is it an instant favorite? Not really. The middle was very strong, but I felt the beginning and the end dragged a bit. Some fat could've been trimmed. And man what a waste with the 4th guy. Otherwise a very interesting film, considering it took place in the middle of the empty desert.

Keep the suggestions coming and I'd love to hear yalls opinions like before.

17 hours ago, aabattery said:

Looks like you haven't done the Before trilogy, so I'd say get on that. Because they are the best. Not sure if those are as old as you want here though, but they're great.

All the President's Men is also excellent. When Harry Met Sally is the best romcom ever made so I'd put that one on the list too.

What is the before trilogy? I'll definitely be checking out Presidents Men. Dustin Hoffman is an OG.

• Like 1