Jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. Maltese Falcon, Arsenic, Blair Witch, etc.

8 minutes ago, jandrew said:

What is the before trilogy? I'll definitely be checking out Presidents Men. Dustin Hoffman is an OG.

They're Linklater's masterpiece.

Before Sunrise (1995)

Before Sunset (2004)

Before Midnight (2013)

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, jandrew said:

What is the before trilogy?

Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight. Romance trilogy from Richard Linklater.

Before Sunrise is probably in my top ten films of all time

• Like 1

I'll get on those. And remember, I'll take okay, mediocre, and bad movies too. I actually don't want to watch everything with an A rating. I want diversity. If it's just something you think I should have seen by now, pass it on. Doesn't matter where it lands on the A to F scale!

Page 1 isn't updated so here's the link to my LB again. You can filter it by decade/year. https://letterboxd.com/Jandrew93/films/

Thanks.

17 hours ago, jandrew said:

That now pushes my 1950's grand total to a whopping 22 movies lol. Gimme all your suggestions and your own opinions folks, I'm back on this.

If you dug Sunset Blvd. I'd recommend diving into Billy Wilder's stuff. Double Indemnity, Ace in the Hole, Stalag 17, Some Like It Hot, The Apartment, can't go wrong with any of that. 

Also from the '50s: Gun Crazy, The Night of the Hunter, The Killing, Paths of Glory. All fantastic. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

If you dug Sunset Blvd. I'd recommend diving into Billy Wilder's stuff. Double Indemnity, Ace in the Hole, Stalag 17, Some Like It Hot, The Apartment, can't go wrong with any of that. 

Also from the '50s: Gun Crazy, The Night of the Hunter, The Killing, Paths of Glory. All fantastic. 

I think I found it just okay, but I don't think I gave it a fair watch. I may have been distracted. I plan on watching again. I'm definitely going to note those. I actually thought about watching the Apartment tonight. I really like Jack Lemmon.

Edited by jandrew

3 minutes ago, jandrew said:

I think I found it just okay, but I don't think I gave it a fair watch. I may have been distracted. I plan on watching again. I'm definitely going to note those. I actually thought about watching the Apartment tonight. I really like Jack Lemmon.

Lemmon is great in that and Some Like It Hot. And even more so in Glengarry Glen Ross which I can't recommend enough. 

• Like 1

Recs: One for each decade - ones you might not have seen yet

1930s: Captain Blood

1940s: The Best Years Of Our Lives

1950s: The Sweet Smell Of Success

1960s: In The Heat Of The Night

1970s: Breaking Away

1980s: Excalibur

1990s: The Big Lebowski

2000s: In The Mood For Love

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Paper Moon (73) - My mom recommended this, and it turns out she had it recorded on DVR so I give it a watch. Pretty good. It started to drag in the 3rd act once they got to the bootlegger stuff, but the banter between Ryan and Tatum, and the con artists stuff was great. It was a great film. Tatum O Neil was a little cutie pie. And the use of black and white fit very well.

The African Queen (51) - Like Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, this movie was guilty of the poster lying so hard. I was expecting action and adventure with two handsome white people navigating the perils of Africa, but instead got two handsome white people sitting on a boat for 2 hours. The only reason I wasn't completely bored out of my mind was because of the chemistry between Bogart and Hepburn. Not an "awful" movie, but definitely disappointing, and not satisfying. C.

Endless Summer (66) - At first I was like "okay?" It was like watching the pick a rider screen on Tony Hawk Pro Skater. But once they got to Africa, it became super entertaining. The narrator had a lot of charisma, and the leads were interesting even though they never spoke. Started to wane a bit once the Australia stuff hit though, but still a solid documentary. Really liked the emphasis on travel.

Moonraker (79) - Found out this is on Hulu. I've wanted to see it so bad. I was going to watch the Bonds in order, but I couldn't resist. Well, lol, this shit. Good: the effects - very, very impressive for 1979, the stunts, the lasers, and Jaws. The bad: The actress playing Dr. Goodhead (HA, WOW) was absolutely awful . Her line delivery when she was trying to pull Bond back onto the gondola was the worst since "now, You will die." The plot was paper thin and Drax sucked, surprise surprise. The dialogue was atrocious cheese. Not tasty cheese, but atrocious cheese. Roger Moore was a block of wood and his quips fell faster than those United memes. Oh, and nothing made sense. @4815162342 and @grim22 tried to tell me.

That said, I think it gets a C- or so because it embraced the camp. And while it was awful, it was also entertaining. You have those awful movies that are a slog to sit through, and the awful ones that you can't turn away. This was the latter. Also there was one moment where Bond reminded me too much of Trump. Dude really needs to stop being so handsy. 

Oh and the reentry line. Wow. Thats all.

Sweet Smell of Success (57) - thanks @TalismanRing for this. I enjoyed it. Took a minute for me to get on board and make sense of it, but it was good. The "I don't hate you, I pity you" line is gold. Just amazing. Hunsecker's dialogue was also great, if just a little too obvious. Good performances and the end had a satisfying twist. Feels like a movie you have to watch a second time to really appreciate and understand it.

And yes TalismanRing, I've seen Heat of the Night. Loved it. A movie.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 4

Maybe someday if you rewatch AFRICAN QUEEN, you'll appreciate it more. 

ENDLESS SUMMER basically created the travelogue *and* surf documentary, and was a major factor in popularizing surf culture to the rest of the United States. Hugely influential. It actually had a sequel, made in the 80s -- essentially the same concept with two new kids. Fun, although it treads heavily in its predecessor's footsteps. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

Maybe someday if you rewatch AFRICAN QUEEN, you'll appreciate it more. 

It's dated and boring, it's not bad but nothing happens, they don't even have good chemistry really and it's one of both of theyre weaker performances  I feel. It doesn't hold up. 

However it did inspire me to write out this awesome Rapids fight/chase through the jungle for my script. It's like the Truck or Tank scene in Indy but  with 3 African queen like boats 

Edited by Jay Hollywood

2 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

It's dated and boring, it's not bad but nothing happens, they don't even have good chemistry really and it's one of both of theyre weaker performances  I feel. It doesn't hold up. 

Couldn't disagree more, but that's the beauty of movies. :) 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Couldn't disagree more, but that's the beauty of movies. :) 

I feel you, however I have a feeling you haven't seen it in this decade yet. We argued about movies before you hadn't seen in over 10 years hahah ;) 

<3333

Edited by Jay Hollywood

5 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

I feel you, however I have a feeling you haven't seen it in this decade yet. We argued about movies before you hadn't seen in over 10 years hahah ;) 

<3333

I haven't, but are you willing to bet that it's worsened in my view as I've gotten older? ;) 

11 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

I haven't, but are you willing to bet that it's worsened in my view as I've gotten older? ;) 

No but thoughts change. You have to remember I'm 24, so 10 years ago I had very very different views. 

I actaully have have a list of like 100+ movies I watched before I was 18/19 that I have still not counted as seen yet because it was too long ago for me to give a proper review. So if you asked me about a movie I saw at 16 id say yeah need to see it again to give my honest opinion. 

Im not sure how it's is to look back 10

years of life really yet.

you told Jandrew to watch it again maybe his  thoughts will change haha but I could say the same to you if it's been 15 years. 

I'm 1000000% going to watch it again in 10 years anyways though.

im also just having fun with you :P 

• Like 2

Yes, I'm some fun with you too. It's definitely not impossible -- I've talked about my opinion changing with THIN RED LINE, for example. But I do think there's a bigger change in opinion from your teens to mid-20s than later in life. 

But who knows? I'll have to let you know when I rewatch it. 

• Like 3

Okay, @baumer, you got me. Angel Heart (87). I know it's 30 years old, but I'ma still put in spoilers out of courtesy.

Spoiler

ROBERT DE NIRO WAS THE DEVIL ALL ALONG???? How did I not catch that!?!?! I knew something was up with him by looking at his fingernails, but I never suspected the Devil. Not gonna lie, when it started hinting that the soldier was Angel, I was like "wow, so cliche", but once the twist was revealed, it made more sense.

The Brooklyn stuff kind of sputtered, but once they got to NOLA I was fully invested. So De Niro, hired him, to find him, so he could reclaim his collateral, which was his soul. Wow...what a trip.

Good sense of atmosphere, good narration, and good thrill. One complaint though is the score. This is supposed to be a 50's setting, but it was giving off 80's vibes too much.

Questions though: so did Johnny knowingly have sex with his daughter or no? And also, so what happens to Angel? He has to burn in Hell even though he was just an innocent dude that was kidnapped by voodoo satanists? Man, that sucks for him. Also, was him being an atheist supposed to be ironic?

Really good movie. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but once they got to NOLA things got real. I approve.

Ps, apparently this movie was an inspiration for one of the Bioshock games. That's just awesome.

• Like 2