Jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. Maltese Falcon, Arsenic, Blair Witch, etc.

Ohhh Drew McWheeny, okay yeah I know who he is. And I have Face/Off in my list, will get to it soon. And nah I havent seen any of those, Ill see if I can find them for tonight. Its dumb, Netflix has 6 Marylin Monroe movies, but not SLIH.

Ohhh Drew McWheeny, okay yeah I know who he is. And I have Face/Off in my list, will get to it soon. And nah I havent seen any of those, Ill see if I can find them for tonight. Its dumb, Netflix has 6 Marylin Monroe movies, but not SLIH.

If you're willing to go older than 50s/60s, try some of the classic screwball comedies:

- Philadelphia Story

- His Girl Friday

- It Happened One Night

- My Man Godfrey

- The Awful Truth

- Bringing Up Baby

- Arsenic and Old Lace

• Like 3

Ill note all of those, thanks people. Yeah im definately going 50's, 40's, and even 30's. I have His Girl Friday in my list now. The 80s and 70s have been more of my unconsious focus, but im down for whatever. I just have to be in a certain mood for whatever type of movie it is.

• Like 1

Move Over Darling: Good. It started a drag a little late into it, but it ended on a good note. I loved the judge, he was hilarious. And its scary how much James Garner looks like David Borenanz.

His Girl Friday: I gotta stop watching movies back to back. It was alot harder to keep focus on this, but it was good. Ill have to watch it again. I will say that black and whire is so refreshing and easy on the eyes.

Telemachos. Guess what I found online. Hint: Its longer than Yao Ming.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

I just realized how weird the Yao comment sounded :lol: But yeah Im definately gonna give t a watch. I might have to have an intermission...no I will have to have an intermission, but I definately gonna get right to it!

• Like 1

I just realized how weird the Yao comment sounded :lol: But yeah Im definately gonna give t a watch. I might have to have an intermission...no I will have to have an intermission, but I definately gonna get right to it!

Well, the movie has an actual intermission so you're in luck.

• Like 2

Erich Von Stroheim's Greed (1926) edited (or butchered) upon it's release (and the rest of the footage burned) at about 2 hours it was reconstructed in 1999 with photos to be 239 min - still about 5 hours shorter than it's 9 hour original cut by the director.

Or maybe just a bit shorter: 

The Right Stuff at 3 hrs 13min.

Ben Hur: 3hrs:40 minutes give or take 10 minutes depending on the cut

The Great Escape: 172 min (8 minutes under 3 hr but still long)

Or more David Lean:

Dr Zhivago: 3:20 min (give or take a few  minutes depending on the release)

Bridge On The River Kwai: 161 min  - rather brief for Lean but he has to be listed.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

"Why do you like the desert so much?" "Its clean." Best quote of all time. All time. Okay not really, but really.

Let me start off and say Lawrence was not the best movie Ive seen. Its was a liitle bit too long, and alot of it was just camel shots and shots of lush sand dunes. And I had a hard time following character names and motives at times (though its clearing up a bit).

Thats about it though. Other than that the movie was golden. I dont need to explain why. The characterization, the editing, the SCORE OH MY GOD TALK ABOUT EPIC, and the acting. I was just at awe how they were able to film it all, in the 1960's, in the open desert. Easy to see how it took a year and half to film. But I was impressed. And the story, while not completely clear at times, was still pretty straightforward on the surface and well executed. And Tele you were right, the scropt did have a lot of crisp lines and nothing felt wasted.

Like most movies, Ill need to give it a second view - eventually - but I was very impresed.

And talking about long movies, how could yall forget 4 hour Cleopatra? Like that should be top of the list...

• Like 2