Jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. Maltese Falcon, Arsenic, Blair Witch, etc.

I was actually aware of that, it was a joke. I just got distracted while editing the post to add a j/k clarification. So I will do it now.

j/k, people still bag on Cleopatra as a cinematic disaster, but put it up against more modern big-budget disasters like Pluto Nash and Battleship and suddenly you realize that Cleopatra really wasn't very bad at all.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

What? Camels?

I approve of your viewing experience. :P I never expect an older movie to instantly be seen by someone today as "the greatest ever" or anything. If it still had power to impress you and make you think and engage you as a viewer, then that's more than enough.

If you ever get the chance, it's worth seeing in 70mm on the big screen. :)

• Like 3

F13th part 6 is oddly enough my favorite. 

IMHO, Friday 6 is the last of the passable Friday's.  Part 7 is watchable but so far from the feel of the others that it's borderline trash.

• Like 2

^ Im gonna try to squeeze them all in before April 1st, but idk if thatll happen. But Ill note F13 part 6.

Rewatching Rocketeer tonight so my girlfriend can see then back to our reguarly scheduled programming.

• Like 1

^ Im gonna try to squeeze them all in before April 1st, but idk if thatll happen. But Ill note F13 part 6.

Rewatching Rocketeer tonight so my girlfriend can see then back to our reguarly scheduled programming.

I have no idea if you'll like or appreciate or even understand the appeal of any of the early Friday's.  But again, just my opinion, but the first four Friday's are just brilliant.  Each one gets better imo.  The first is iconic for obvious reasons, plus the Mrs. Voorhees thing at the end, then the second introduces Jason, the third he gets his mask and then all fucking hell breaks loose in the fourth.  

At some point down the line, see if you can find THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (both versions: the silent 1924 Douglas Fairbanks and the 1940 Sabu one). They're both entertaining.

Tele was creative consultant on the 1294 version and taught Fairbanks how to swashbuckle.

• Like 2

Lawrence of Arabia is awesome. I very nearly got the chance to see it on the big screen when Sony was promoting the 4k restoration in 2012, but I had to be up early the next morning, so a four-plus-hour (counting the pre-movie special that was going to run at the scheduled start time) night at the movies just wasn't feasible. Now, unlike Forrest Gump, there's a movie that's begging for a proper IMAX re-release.

Network is also great. Like Lawrence, it's arguably the best of a ridiculously loaded year for movies (even more so for Network, which was up against Taxi Driver, All the President's Men, and Rocky for Best Picture). It's dark, nasty, hilarious, and startlingly prescient.

• Like 5

So did you like them or what? 

I don't see any grades in the OP.

Dr. No is crap btw.

I havent finished Network or started Dr. No. Busy friday night and saturday, plus March Madness. I review everything after I see it but I guess I can start putting some kind of grades if yall want me too. If yall werent aware, I log every movie in the OP. (And Letterbox).

Ps. I forgot I saw Hindenberg from 1975 a long time ago. Add that to my short list haha.

• Like 1

Dundee 2. What a boring, unadventurous POS. All I gotta say about that. Next up, Ghost. I know I know yall want me to finish Network. Ill try to finish it tomorrow in between class. Ive been wanting to see Ghost forever, and itll keep the gf more interested. Speaking of, she really liked Rocketeer, yayyyy.

• Like 2

GHOST. Amen. What a movie. Damn that was perfect. Spirtual, suspensful, and a damn good script to boot. I actually realized the plot of his best friend being the antagonist 30 minutes into the movie, but it didnt sour anything. We still didnt know how it would play out so I wasnt mad.

The cast was perfect, I loved Whoopi. I see why it adjusts to over $400M. What a fun, yet nail-biting film. Unique too. I think itll become a classic on the Jandrew list.

• Like 2

I know i've fit so many movies into today, but I promise I have a life. One of my classes was cancelled so I had extra time.

Friday the 13th 1 and 2 - I mean, they were okay. I didn't care about anyone or anything that was going on. I was just waiting for the next kill. I didn't know Jason doesn't appear in his masks in these either. Theyre werent bad, I just don't connect with slashers. Ive havent seen much from them outside of teenagers getting killed. Will give the others F13's a go later, just wanted to see these before they expired.

Network - I'm sorry, I just couldn't get into it. The humor just didn't catch me, and while the premise is pretty unique, it just didnt strike with me. I'll give it another watch later and see if my mind changes. It's not the dark comedy: I liked Heathers, I just don't know why, but I just didn't have that connection. There was no meaningful sex with this movie, just more a random after bar hookup. 

Good Morning Vietnam - Robin Williams. Please come back. Hell yes that was perfect. Took me a minute to get fully into it, but once I was into it, I was into it. And I no idea my man Forrest was in it! The drama bits actually meshed pretty well around the comedy. Speaking of comedy, I haven't laughed out loud like that in a while. "Hawk sucks the sweat off a dead mans balls. I don't know what that means sir, but it sounds pretty negative to me", "you are more dire need of a bj than any white man in history", "you can't even say lesbian. It's 'woman in comfortable shoes", "he's your roommate, so I'd suggest suicide." Man this movie was insane. I wish I was alive in 1987 to see that in the theater. I think I still give the edge to Tootsie, but as far as the comedies I've watched since I started that, GMV is an easy #2. I need another watch, but I may just put it above Beverly Hills Cop, one of my favorites. The screenplay not getting nominated for an Oscar is a travesty.

Next up, Broadcast News at 10:15. Tomorrow, the Poseidon Adventure, and I'll see what else. Numbers and Jay, I'll be getting to Dune and MI3 in the next few days. 

• Like 2