kayumanggi

BABY DRIVER | Sony | From Director Edgar Wright | On Digital HD 9/12, DVD and Blu-Ray 10/10

Like Nova said, just a tremendous movie. 

Funny, moving, insanely exciting, unbelievably well edited - it's a great piece of pop art. 

Word of mouth will be through the roof. If it can open well then this has got sleeper hit written all over it. Deservedly so as it's the film we need this summer. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, MrPink said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I figure 90% of the audience is gonna really enjoy the movie, and 10% is gonna be absolutely turned off. Wouldn't be surprised by a B+ Cinemascore for example because of that kind of thing

So...a perfect grade?

I have to admit, I haven't heard of this except here on the forum.  The synopsis makes it sound terrible, but it seems like maybe it is something else entirely than what the description would suggest.  Good to see an original film be well received.  I find most of Edgar Wright's films work better for me when I watch them on the TV rather than in the theater, where I never feel like I got my money's worth.

6 minutes ago, Travod said:

So I haven't actually liked any trailers for the movie. I just love Edgar Wright. Let's see how it goes...

Not even this one?

It's a 2-minute masterpiece if you ask me.

• Like 5

Quick and dirty reaction as I walk to the train

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are masterpieces and this doesn't reach their heights, not particularly close either 

It's pretty good

I was disappointed in that it didn't have as much Edgar Wright trademarked style as his other movies

Not the MM:FR of this year

But I liked it enough

Edited by Travod
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Question for those who saw it - I see there are two women on the posters but are either roles fun and/or substantial?

Elza Gonzalez has a few fun moments, but nothing substantial.

Lily James' isn't what I'd characterize fun but  more substantial. Unfortunately, there's really not a whole lot of character to her. Good chemistry with Elgort, not a total damsel in distress.

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

Oh, it fails the Bechdel test btw

I don't much care about that since something like Gravity will fail the Bechdel test. 

As much as I like Wright, his female characters are on the whole severely lacking.  Scott Pilgrim had the best showing but it was based on a comic and not his own original script and even then the lead female character was a near void. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I don't much care about that since something like Gravity will fail the Bechdel test. 

As much as I like Wright, his female characters are on the whole severely lacking.  Scott Pilgrim had the best showing but it was based on a comic and not his own original script and even then the lead female character was a near void. 

I didn't care much for Scott Pilgrim and it's been 6-7 years since I've seen it at this point, but I think Lily James will probably stand as his best female character for now.  Not as manic pixie dream girl as Mary Elizabeth Winstead, just not very fleshed out to give you a great idea of why Baby is enamored with her (other than the obvious)

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MrPink said:

Oh, it fails the Bechdel test btw

I think some writers might have a hard time writing certain types of characters believably. I am writing some books, and I have more trouble writing female characters than male characters because, as a guy, I understand guys better than I understand girls. Some guys in the business don't struggle with this, though, so that's good for them.

52 minutes ago, slambros said:

I think some writers might have a hard time writing certain types of characters believably. I am writing some books, and I have more trouble writing female characters than male characters because, as a guy, I understand guys better than I understand girls. Some guys in the business don't struggle with this, though, so that's good for them.

Like  TalismanRing, I don't really believe in the Bechdel Test, I tend to just go by my gut feeling, and what it says here is that female representation is probably about average-ish. It's nothing great. I didn't find anything necessarily damning. It is what it is

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2