Noctis

Should China be counted separately from the rest of the OS markets?

Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?

• Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, starting as soon as possible
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after ___ amount of time
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after a movie grosses ___ amount of money
    • No, China should not be separate from Overseas Grosses

All these countries should be counted separately, the whole dom/os split seems outdated

We got people talking about "Worldwide Opening Weekends!" like that means something when movies open in different territories

You act like it's written law, it has to be like it is.

We discuss BO from the perspective of the US and the US-press, so even with China being big, why should an american BO-Site like BOM.com or BO.com look at it from Chinas perspective?

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 2

No, and the mere notion is completely retarded. China is not part of the domestic box office. It's overseas, it's international. End.

don't use the r word.

idk it's not that hard to say like... my prediction for sw7 is 160/670/300/650/1.620b i'm sure you can figure it out

You act like it's written law, it has to be like it is.

We discuss BO from the perspective of the US and the US-press, so even with China being big, why should an american BO-Site like BOM.com or BO.com look at it from Chinas perspective?

Speaking of that, I bet BOM.com and this forum are both censored in China. 

• Like 1

No, and the mere notion is completely retarded. China is not part of the domestic box office. It's overseas, it's international. End.

EDIT: Ok, he isn't, but still! Fucking hate when you call someone else's opinion completely retarded.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 4

A project I've started was looking at the worldwide breakdown of the various billion dollar properties. I think it's more useful to look at things as a part of the whole rather than singling out any specific markets. That way we can see on a case by case basis what the outliers are.

While China has become a big market, it's not something that will apply across the board.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W4MW3epzFIgy0cVhNW3l7t0eT77w5i-nRy2v6NJDigA/edit?usp=sharing

(Apologies for anything that's unclear. I'm not super skilled at spreadsheets.)

• Like 10

that's a really great chart, you should add furious 7!

Once the run is finished, yeah. At least assuming BOM has accurate market information.

I do want to populate it down to include more films, although some of them are sorely lacking on what each given market earned. The Lion King, in particular, is bad. And it's currently the highest grossing non-billion movie, which is why I stopped where I did at the time.

i think we should.

also "dom" charts should be expanded to include most money made in a single market

so 2014 would be

1. American Sniper - 348m DOM
  2. Mockingjay Part 1 - 337m DOM
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy - 333m DOM
  4. Transformers 4 - 320m CHINA
  5. Captain America 2 - 260m DOM

2015 currently

1. Furious 7 - 307m DOM
  2. Furious 7 - 298m CHINA
  3. Cinderella - 188m DOM
  4. 50 Shades of Grey - 166m DOM
  5. Spongebob Movie - 162m DOM