Noctis

Should China be counted separately from the rest of the OS markets?

Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?

• Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, starting as soon as possible
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after ___ amount of time
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after a movie grosses ___ amount of money
    • No, China should not be separate from Overseas Grosses

To be honest, once china makes similar box office results as the u.s. like $400 mil to $600 mil, then it should be counted as separate b.o. Why? It makes it easier to analyse box office information. Currently, China is making $300 million, so it doesn't measure up to the $400 mil to $600 mil at the North American box office. Soon it will reach that mark in maybe 3-5 years.

• Like 1

Why are people being babies and feigning a poutrage over a word?

So do you use words like N****, or F*****, or C****. Words can be offenses and hurt people. Why not have a welcoming forum. Plus it makes you look that you have a small vocabulary.  

• Like 1

I'm in the "not right now" camp. The movies that hit the zeitgeist in China are still kind of random. When they are consistently competing with DOM then we can revisit this idea.

Besides, it's kind of up to the consensus of box office sites as we simply follow their lead in classifying grosses.

Edited by Avenging Arachnid!™
  • Like 1

why

i think we should.

also "dom" charts should be expanded to include most money made in a single market

so 2014 would be

1. American Sniper - 348m DOM
  2. Mockingjay Part 1 - 337m DOM
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy - 333m DOM
  4. Transformers 4 - 320m CHINA
  5. Captain America 2 - 260m DOM

2015 currently

1. Furious 7 - 307m DOM
  2. Furious 7 - 298m CHINA
  3. Cinderella - 188m DOM
  4. 50 Shades of Grey - 166m DOM
  5. Spongebob Movie - 162m DOM

You said domestic chart should be expanded to include China. Which obviously isn't in the continent of North America..the domestic box office. We can already see which countries made such and such money. Why would you include China in a domestic chart?

• Like 2

You said domestic chart should be expanded to include China. Which obviously isn't in the continent of North America..the domestic box office. We can already see which countries made such and such money. Why would you include China in a domestic chart?

that's why i put it in quotes..... i'm saying dom charts wouldn't change very much if you added the biggest single-country grosses from other countries, but it would add cool information so why not

A project I've started was looking at the worldwide breakdown of the various billion dollar properties. I think it's more useful to look at things as a part of the whole rather than singling out any specific markets. That way we can see on a case by case basis what the outliers are.

While China has become a big market, it's not something that will apply across the board.

What I like to do is weigh a film's gross in a certain country by its relative GDP to the US. Gives you an idea what films were big hits in any particular nation.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

What I like to do is weigh a film's gross in a certain country by its relative GDP to the US. Gives you an idea what films were big hits in any particular nation.

Oh, there's a lot of more intelligent breakdowns than what I'm doing. Peludo's exchange rate tracking is one example.

I think it'd be great if there was a resource that did more detailed box office analysis. But it seems that box office sites are not moneymakers, so doing it would take a lot of volunteer effort.

Arguably, it'd be better to track comparisons by PPP than GDP. It would be neat to see the differences between the two.

If the split is domestic and overseas then surely there is only one answer.

You have international topics on the forum to discuss individual countries. From the american perspective it makes sense to compare the domestic to international, and China is part of that international.

What if another countries box office suddenly blew up and started contributing hugely to movies overseas results then we separate them from overseas results too?

I'm in the "not right now" camp. The movies that hit the zeitgeist in China are still kind of random. When they are consistently competing with DOM then we can revisit this idea.

Besides, it's kind of up to the consensus of box office sites as we simply follow their lead in classifying grosses.

I have data on another forum claiming that chinese bo is still booming like crazy in early 2015 compared to early 2014.

American tentpoles, chinese ones, all numbers are up, up, up.

And even if we don t have a lot of movies doing 250-300m in 2015 in China alone, 150-200m per tentpole or on average would already be a lot.

Anyway, the main point is that chinese demography will continue to supply chinese bo growth for years to come.

All studio heads know this, they all acknowledged that fact in a latest Hollywood reporter roundtable., all roads lead to china.

• Like 1

NO. Not now, because China is still a semi closed semi open market (only a fixed number of hollywood films allowed to be released each year), and the way movies making the business (getting half of the screens for 1-2 weeks then losing most of them rapidly) shows that it's not a mature market yet despite it's producing more and more mega hits.

But of cause, it's going to inevitably a bigger market than the US and I guess that's the day we say YES.