Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Noctis

Should China be counted separately from the rest of the OS markets?

Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?   44 members have voted

1. 1. Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?

• Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, starting as soon as possible
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after ___ amount of time
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after a movie grosses ___ amount of money
    • No, China should not be separate from Overseas Grosses

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

180 posts in this topic

why

I actually kinda like your breakdown there :)
1 person likes this

I actually kinda like your breakdown there :)

tumblr_n9aco51YPc1qhy8f9o8_250.gif

To be honest, once china makes similar box office results as the u.s. like $400 mil to $600 mil, then it should be counted as separate b.o. Why? It makes it easier to analyse box office information. Currently, China is making $300 million, so it doesn't measure up to the $400 mil to $600 mil at the North American box office. Soon it will reach that mark in maybe 3-5 years.

1 person likes this

I think it should be it such a huge market and it will be the biggest market for movies in a couple of years. 

EDIT: Ok, he isn't, but still! Fucking hate when you call someone else's opinion completely retarded.

Ask me if I care.

Chinese grosses will always be international box office grosses. I don't see why this is even a discussion.

3 people like this

Ask me if I care.

Chinese grosses will always be international box office grosses. I don't see why this is even a discussion.

Why are being such a dick? 

Why are people being babies and feigning a poutrage over a word?

1 person likes this

So do you use words like N****, or F*****, or C****. Words can be offenses and hurt people. Why not have a welcoming forum. Plus it makes you look that you have a small vocabulary.  

1 person likes this

Well, that's another person for the ignore filter.

1 person likes this

Ok, big guy.

Go to a random black guy and call him a ----. Go to a random Muslim and call him a terrorist.

It's just a word.

2 people like this

don't use the r word.

Or what?

Or else. ;)

I'm in the "not right now" camp. The movies that hit the zeitgeist in China are still kind of random. When they are consistently competing with DOM then we can revisit this idea.

Besides, it's kind of up to the consensus of box office sites as we simply follow their lead in classifying grosses.

Edited by Avenging Arachnid!™
1 person likes this

why

i think we should.

also "dom" charts should be expanded to include most money made in a single market

so 2014 would be

1. American Sniper - 348m DOM
  2. Mockingjay Part 1 - 337m DOM
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy - 333m DOM
  4. Transformers 4 - 320m CHINA
  5. Captain America 2 - 260m DOM

2015 currently

1. Furious 7 - 307m DOM
  2. Furious 7 - 298m CHINA
  3. Cinderella - 188m DOM
  4. 50 Shades of Grey - 166m DOM
  5. Spongebob Movie - 162m DOM

You said domestic chart should be expanded to include China. Which obviously isn't in the continent of North America..the domestic box office. We can already see which countries made such and such money. Why would you include China in a domestic chart?

2 people like this

You said domestic chart should be expanded to include China. Which obviously isn't in the continent of North America..the domestic box office. We can already see which countries made such and such money. Why would you include China in a domestic chart?

that's why i put it in quotes..... i'm saying dom charts wouldn't change very much if you added the biggest single-country grosses from other countries, but it would add cool information so why not

Nah, where do you draw the line? Maybe when the grosses reach 500M+ but currently no. 

A project I've started was looking at the worldwide breakdown of the various billion dollar properties. I think it's more useful to look at things as a part of the whole rather than singling out any specific markets. That way we can see on a case by case basis what the outliers are.

While China has become a big market, it's not something that will apply across the board.

What I like to do is weigh a film's gross in a certain country by its relative GDP to the US. Gives you an idea what films were big hits in any particular nation.

Edited by tribefan695
1 person likes this

What I like to do is weigh a film's gross in a certain country by its relative GDP to the US. Gives you an idea what films were big hits in any particular nation.

Oh, there's a lot of more intelligent breakdowns than what I'm doing. Peludo's exchange rate tracking is one example.

I think it'd be great if there was a resource that did more detailed box office analysis. But it seems that box office sites are not moneymakers, so doing it would take a lot of volunteer effort.

Arguably, it'd be better to track comparisons by PPP than GDP. It would be neat to see the differences between the two.

If the split is domestic and overseas then surely there is only one answer.

You have international topics on the forum to discuss individual countries. From the american perspective it makes sense to compare the domestic to international, and China is part of that international.

What if another countries box office suddenly blew up and started contributing hugely to movies overseas results then we separate them from overseas results too?

I'm in the "not right now" camp. The movies that hit the zeitgeist in China are still kind of random. When they are consistently competing with DOM then we can revisit this idea.

Besides, it's kind of up to the consensus of box office sites as we simply follow their lead in classifying grosses.

I have data on another forum claiming that chinese bo is still booming like crazy in early 2015 compared to early 2014.

American tentpoles, chinese ones, all numbers are up, up, up.

And even if we don t have a lot of movies doing 250-300m in 2015 in China alone, 150-200m per tentpole or on average would already be a lot.

Anyway, the main point is that chinese demography will continue to supply chinese bo growth for years to come.

All studio heads know this, they all acknowledged that fact in a latest Hollywood reporter roundtable., all roads lead to china.

1 person likes this

NO. Not now, because China is still a semi closed semi open market (only a fixed number of hollywood films allowed to be released each year), and the way movies making the business (getting half of the screens for 1-2 weeks then losing most of them rapidly) shows that it's not a mature market yet despite it's producing more and more mega hits.

But of cause, it's going to inevitably a bigger market than the US and I guess that's the day we say YES.