Noctis

Should China be counted separately from the rest of the OS markets?

Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?

• Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, starting as soon as possible
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after ___ amount of time
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after a movie grosses ___ amount of money
    • No, China should not be separate from Overseas Grosses

I don't think it's a binary choice. It's like describing a data set by using just the mean, or using the mean and the median, or both those and the standard deviation. With box office you use the worldwide number of you're only going to use one number to describe a movies performance. If two then domestic and overseas. But the more numbers you use the more accurately you can describe it and China is the logical choice for the next part to separate out as an additional descriptor.

Edited by MattW

The runs are too short and selective for it to be worth it, but the grosses are too big to ignore. I'd say to wait but we may get our first $400m from China in the next year.

FWIW Deadline's separated out China in their last two yearly film profit reports.

I think we should do it to start to compare to past blockbusters. Maybe as some of you say it is a bit early to make separated predictions, but if you want to compare with previous installments of a franchise I find this split quite more accurate.

I know that just a few Hollywood films are released there with a short time of release, but at the end those movies are which we are really interested to follow on this forums: real blockbusters. As more money they do as more interested we are. And beyond special cases like F7 or Transformers, the fact is that every installment of a franchise is increasing by a wide margin. Avengers, for instance, was outgrossed by every MCU Phase 2 excepting Thor 2. And now we are asuming at very least that TA2 will double what first part did. That is not normal. Current WW list will become a joke within few years, with many films grossing 500-600 million in China, making more itself that whole OS big past blockbusters. IMHO, we should start the habit to talk about 3 separated numbers to give WW figures. At least, I will start to do it.

• Like 2

Studios get 25% of gross in China while they collect 40-50% in other OS markets, maybe divide Chinese grosses by 2 and compare the re-calculated WW numbers to pre-Chinese-boom blockbusters WW numbers. If you understand what I mean.

• Like 1

However you can't discount current films overseas run as they make so much in China and such.

Sure they are making a ton more money in developing markets but they are still selling a lot of tickets.

For example TA, TA2 and Fast 7 have huge grosses mostly in developing markets where tickets are cheaper.

Let's see an example:

ROTK: 377 DOM / 732 OS / 10 CHINA / 1,119 WW

F7: 350 DOM / 700-750 OS / 360 CHINA / 1,410-1,460 WW

If I am not wrong, both movies will be biggest Hollywood releases in China of 2003 and 2015, respectively (correct me if I am wrong with F7 predictions, but I do not think there will be too much difference)

Sorry I don;'t usually say stuff like this but this is a really dumb thread.  

Is China in North America?

What's dumb is your freaking last statement.

You're so annoying. What are you even doing here posting in this thread if you think it's really dumb? Go away. I don't care that you're a mod.

The fact that you had to ask that question proves how you didn't understand a lick of what was being discussed.

This is the most stupid thread I've seen in a long time. If you're going to split up OS numbers then split every country up, as films perform differently in different countries.

Noctis is only talking about China because of how huge the market is now, it looks like Furious 7 is actually going to gross more in China than in the US for example.

Its nothing to do with China for any other reason i don't think. If it was the UK market that suddenly started having US size grosses, i'm sure the same question would be asked again.

This thread is not that stupid. Boxoffice.com already has a separate report for international and china grosses. I would not be surprised if we see BOM start splitting them up in the next few years. I don't think its needed now but in half a decade when China will regularly out-gross DOM numbers it should be separated.

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 2

Sorry I don;'t usually say stuff like this but this is a really dumb thread.  

Is China in North America?

Yeah, agree. One can't just break up the OS vs Dom just because it's taking their favorite film a notch or two down on the OS/WW Box office totem pole. If we start separating a particular country from the rest of the OS gross, then we might as well do it for all of the major continents. 

89959-004-732AD68F.gif

Edited by Warhorse
  • Like 1

That Chinese grosses are booming doesn't mean that there's going to be an equal amount of discussion about them. This is an American-centric forum, so it makes sense that the main forum is based around the US grosses. Conversations beyond that don't tend to grow a lot, since all the information beyond the pure numbers have been discussed already on the domestic topics.