kayumanggi

THE SHACK | 03.03.17 | Lionsgate | current gross ● 57.08 M

Based on the best-selling novel by William Paul Young, which was originally published out of a garage by Brad Cummings and Wayne Jacobsen. In the aftermath of a devastating personal tragedy, Mackenzie Allen Philips receives a mysterious note in his mailbox inviting him to "The Shack", signed by "Papa", his wife’s nickname for God. Mack responds and finds himself on a life-transforming journey of truth, forgiveness, and ultimately acceptance in this worldwide phenomenal bestseller. First published in 2007, “The Shack” has to date sold over 18 million copies worldwide, 10 million in the United States, and over 8 million internationally, being translated into 39 different languages. The novel has been on the New York Times Best Seller list for over 180 consecutive weeks, topping the list at #1 for 52 of them, and has also been on the USA Today Top 150 List for 188 weeks. Ranked by Nielsen as the Top Best-Selling Book of 2008 and 2nd Best-Selling Book of 2009, “The Shack” has been featured in national profiles as diverse as Newsweek, TIME, People, and The New York Times.

Sam Worthington to Star in ‘The Shack’ With Octavia Spencer

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/the-shack-sam-worthington-octavia-spencer-1201484859/

Edited by kayumanggi

Oh, boy. My mother and a bunch of her friends adore this book.

I can't stand it, but mostly because I don't care at all for christian mythology.

Who knows, maybe the religious crowd that disapproves of all the evil satanic HP-related stuff in FB ;) will make this a modest hit?

God knows (pun intended) that Worthington and Spencer need a hit.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Oh, boy. My mother and a bunch of her friends adore this book.

I can't stand it, but mostly because I don't care at all for christian mythology.

Who knows, maybe the religious crowd that disapproves of all the evil satanic HP-related stuff in FB ;) will make this a modest hit?

God knows (pun intended) that Worthington and Spencer need a hit.

Octavia Spencer doesn't really "need a hit." She's always been a character actress and seems perfectly content with that kind of career.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Octavia Spencer doesn't really "need a hit." She's always been a character actress and seems perfectly content with that kind of career.

Come on...all actors could use a hit, and no matter how happy they are with being character actors, they all appreciate the perks of being in a hit film.

That's like saying that because a schoolteacher is perfectly happy with a 40k-a-year salary, she doesn't need to win the lotto.

Speaking of Spencer, I bet she will play "God," which the book depicts as a stereotypical "sassy black woman," which seems to be all Spencer plays (unfortunately, because she is quite talented).

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, lilmac said:

The book is very good and was a bestseller (I think). I see this making $90-$100m domestic.

According to Publisher's Weekly, "[The Gift ] spent 50 weeks at number 1 on the New York Times bestseller list and has been translated into 41 languages."

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/book-deals/article/48435-shack-author-signs-for-new-book-with-hachette.html

Worthington is exactly the kind of bland, harmlessly generic movie actor (like Chris Evans and Armie Hammer) that is perfect for these christian films. These men are so indistinct and milquetoast that the audience can just see themselves in the blank canvas that they are, without being distracted by pesky quirks or too-edgy-for-Middle America intensity.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bapi said:

I think this is the 4th best-selling book of last 10 years after Potter 7, The Lost Symbol and The Hunger Games.

I am very curious about this film's box office prospects. The fact that it sold so well and that it's so highly regarded among Christians, as well as having Tim McGraw (and a Tim McGraw/Faith Hill song in the soundtrack) makes me think that it could be a huge hit among country audiences/Christians/spiritually-minded moviegoers, but we never know.