kayumanggi

ATOMIC BLONDE | 07.28.17 | Focus Features | David Leitch | Charlize Theron, James McAvoy

3 minutes ago, Kingp0va said:

Alright.

The Huntsman: Winter's War , a BOMB

Dark Places, from the creator of gone girl, didnt even get on theatres, lmao!

Mad Max: Fury Road underperformed and barely made profit

A Million Ways to Die in the West , flop

Prometheus , underperformed

Snow White and the Huntsman , underperformed

Young Adult , whatever, i loove the movie tho

The Road , bomb

and before this she made some indie movies that flopped even for indie standards

her only succesful project other than FF post oscar has been hancock and that was on will's shoulders 100%

None of her underperformers or bombs are on her shoulders either. Snow White and Fury Road performed fine relative to expectations and the latter's marketing sold it on action and visuals, not actors. Huntsman was a movie nobody wanted, Prometheus opened well but had lukewarm reception, Million Ways to Die looked unfunny and no one cared for its mix of genres, The Road was fucked over by Weinsteins. And in all of those movies Theron was either part of an ensemble cast or a second lead at best, never the main focus. She was in The Road for all of five minutes ffs. I don't get why we waste time arguing about this. 

• Like 4

Fury Road did okay for the sort of film it was. It was Oscar nominated for best picture and director and had stellar reviews. Fury Road can never be treated as a loss for Theron as it gave her an iconic role alongside her Monster role to be remembered for.

Snow White and the Huntsman did okay, it's problem was it's too big budget. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

and why is a c lister like olivia wilde being brought up? vharlize is a good actress and is gorgeous, everybody "likes" her and she's supposed to be A list but she has 0 pull.

I look like a hater but I LOVE Charlize as an actress, i may have exaggerated to be honest, she doesnt seem to pick good projects most of the times

I guess Atomic blonde is the biggest test of her career as a star, if she pulls Salt numbers that will be great, if she pulls Lucy numbers that'd be incredible but it wont happen at all, we'll see. as i said, i think this will do around 40 DOM and 130 WW

Edited by Kingp0va

1 hour ago, Kingp0va said:

I guess Atomic blonde is the biggest test of her career as a star, if she pulls Salt numbers that will be great, if she pulls Lucy numbers that'd be incredible but it wont happen at all, we'll see. as i said, i think this will do around 40 DOM and 130 WW

Salt had a 126 million net production budget, spent 104 million on marketing with a big studio release and had arguably the biggest female draw in a action movie ever in her prime in it, with a total cost of nearly 350 million.

Atomic Blonde is in a different category of movie than that.

Salt number would already be incredible, well anything above John Wick 2 would be incredible, anything between John Wick and John Wick 2 would be really good.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Dumb title, but I'm sure it wasn't Theron's choice.  Looks phenomenal and great fun, and I don't really care how much money it makes, just glad someone got to make it. 

The debate over Theron's "box office success" while relevant to this forum of course, is pretty much a moot point.  She keeps getting employed regardless of box office success/lack thereof, because like Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman, Denzel, and a few others, people in the industry recognize how great she is in nearly every single performance...whether audiences realize it or not.  (Same goes for J. Goodman, btw.)

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Dumb title, but I'm sure it wasn't Theron's choice.  Looks phenomenal and great fun, and I don't really care how much money it makes, just glad someone got to make it. 

The debate over Theron's "box office success" while relevant to this forum of course, is pretty much a moot point.  She keeps getting employed regardless of box office success/lack thereof, because like Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman, Denzel, and a few others, people in the industry recognize how great she is in nearly every single performance...whether audiences realize it or not.  (Same goes for J. Goodman, btw.)

Yep, Theron will always get work.

• Like 1